The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Brazil does slaughter and I assume consume horse meat. In France, the origin of the horse meat has to be identified on the packages in the supermarkets. I have seen France, Belgium, Brazil, Argentina on several occasions and only ONE package indicating Canada. I go every year and check out the meat counters at the supermarkets. But the quantity is very small in comparison to all the other meats available. Very very small, like sometimes 7 packages! Considering the rest of the meat counters may be 30 ft in length...

Just a guess here based on living in 2 Islamic countries over the last few years, but I strongly doubt that its kosher (OK, "tamum" in Arabic) for Muslims to eat horses.

Mostly because Islam, even outside the Arabian peninsula, promotes Arab cultural norms, and Arab culture reveres horses.

That said, many Muslim peoples revere camels, too, and the consumption of camel meat is routine. But then again camels fall into the Old Testament category of cud chewing + split hooves (toes?), which could be reflected in the Koran.

I've never come across any Mr. Ed shwarmas, myself.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Camels apparently aren't considered have a true split hoof WRT dietary laws, something you can determine for yourself by Googling camel hoof, but be prepared for a few links that have nothing to do with camels. However, they are classified zoologically as Artiodactyla, or even-toed ungulates meaning that their hoof must be split for zoological purposes. Horses are in the order Perissodactyla, or odd-toed ungulates.

I may be an Evil Chem Prof, but my mom was an LA Zoo docent complete with a copy of Walker's Book of Mammals on the bookshelf...
    The Evil Chem Prof

Actually, Peggy, thanks for the clarification. As I was typing, I was thinking that camels sort of have toes, no hooves.

I also wasn't all too thrilled about Googling "camel toe" so again I appreciate your info.

They're decent eating, too.

Quote Originally Posted by msrobin View Post
    **This is not a debate about horse slaughter, please**

I would like to know what countries do not eat or slaughter horses for human consumption. .
    Note those three little words 'for human consumption.' The presence of a slaughterhouse in a country does not mean that it's eaten where slaughtered- as noted the meat can be exported, or processed for animals to eat. Conversely, here in Utah being one example, the absence of a slaughter house does not mean that no human consumption of horsemeat occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by elysian*fields*farm View Post
    Thread was titled "What countries DO NOT eat or slaughter horses?" (My underline) It stands to reason that if slaughterhouses licensed to slaughter horses are operating in the UK, then horse slaughter goes on there, whether the horse meat is sold and consumed there is another matter.

If you had bothered to wait for her response post before pouncing-- you would have seen that OP appreciated the info.---

And it's guess, not guest. Thinking about "guessing," I'm busy trying to guess why you pounced on my post when several previous posters had anti-slaughter signatures
    I am not sure your info makes clear that the plants you linked to were for human consumption. Having not clicked on your link, myself.

Excusez-moi for the typo!

Why do you think that I respond to posts based on signatures? You have 'guested' wrong on that one. Any 'pouncing' is in your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by msrobin View Post
    **This is not a debate about horse slaughter, please**

I would like to know what countries do not eat or slaughter horses for human consumption. Also where it is illegal other than the states. I am writing a paper for school.

Thank you.

considering it's the title....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

good catch Alagirl- I haven't even started my first coffee- good thing too...clean screen...

So far we haven't determined ANY country in the world in which horses are NOT slaughtered and/or eaten by humans? except Antarctica? *

I don't understand the point of this thread except to dredge up the old debate:

Is horsemeat edible? Yes, and if you don't know what it is and its prepared by a French chef in Paris in a stroganoff sauce, its delicious. BTW.

* Guatemala- my old coach lived there for a couple of decades and told stories not only of the people BBQ-ing horse, but also worse ones of finding dead bodies in the streets of the city and them not being cleaned up for days- HUMAN bodies. Of course that was a few years ago.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

For human consumption there are more states where slaughtering horses is illegal such as Texas and I believe NJ and DE and maybe in PA it's illegal to slaughter for human consumption also.

The Wiki page seems to have a lot of information with resources.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_slaughter

http://www.animallawcoalition.com/horse-slaughter/article/1160
    Horse slaughter is also illegal in California, CA Penal Code § 598c ("unlawful for any person to possess, to import into or export from the state, or to sell, buy, give away, hold, or accept any horse with the intent of killing, or having another kill, that horse, if that person knows or should have known that any part of that horse will be used for human consumption"). A Mississippi law, MS Code §75-33-3, states that the "term ‘food unfit for human consumption' shall be construed to include meat and meat-food products of horses and mules.". In Oklahoma, 63 Okla. Stat. §1-1136, it is "unlawful for any person to sell, offer or exhibit for sale . . . any quantity of horsemeat for human consumption."
    In 2009 the Rhode Island House of Representatives issued a resolution in support of a federal ban on commercial horse slaughter for human consumption. A similar resolution is pending in California. A bill is pending in New York to ban commercial horse slaughter or trade in horse meat for human consumption. Wisconsin, Senate Bill 142 would also ban horse slaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Slaughter is not illegal in the US. There just happen to be no operating slaughterhouses right now.

Illinois and California are the only states with laws against slaughter or consumption of horse meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Why do you think that I respond to posts based on signatures? You have 'guested' wrong on that one. Any 'pouncing' is in your imagination.
    Actually, I was just noting that several posters had anti-slaughter signatures and you didn't "pounce" on their posts.

wish I could, but I can't read minds, so I won't hazard a guess at your motives for singling my post out except to note that my link seems to contadict another post that asserts that horse meat is not eaten in the UK- on another thread that poster also wrote there were not any horse slaughterhouses in the UK.

Apparently this link- which I found with a yahoo search-- asserts that horses ARE slaughtered in the UK, but doesn't address the question of if they are eaten there.

I will take you at your word that you were not "pouncing" only on my post.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    ...determine for yourself by Googling camel hoof, but be prepared for a few links that have nothing to do with camels.
    Camel toe!

Glittering guacamole, I am so twelve years old.

1 members found this post helpful.

Okay, here's some interesting info on Brazil!

Enfrentando velhos preconceitos, o consumo da carne de cavalo se espalha discretamente no Brasil, mas já fez adeptos entre conceituados chefs de cozinha. Em São Paulo, por exemplo, conquistou Sauro Scarabotta, do Friccò, e Marcelo Pinheiro, do Tarsila. O Brasil é o terceiro produtor mundial de carne de cavalo; em segundo vem o México e em primeiro, a China. A difusão acontece sem alarde, até porque os seis frigoríficos que abatem cavalo não fazem propaganda e preferem abastecer os mercados mais receptivos da Itália, França, Holanda, Bélgica e Japão. Outros importadores são a Rússia e a Suíça.

It says, Confronting old preconceptions, the consumption of horse meat is spreading discretely in Brazil, but has made converts among some fancy chefs. In São Paulo for example, Sauro Scarbotta of (the restaurant) Fricco, and Marcelo Pinheiro of Tarsila. Brazil is the third producer of horse meat in the world; Mexico second, China first. The spread is happening without boasting, since the six slaughterhouses that produce horse meat do not advertise, and prefer to service the receptive markets in Italy, France, Holland, Belgium and Japan. Other importers are Russia and Switzerland.

From the Estadão, a major newspaper, dated August 2009

http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/s...lo,3176,0.shtm

This article (also from major media) mentions the same two chefs, is dated 2007. You can run it through google translate if you need (my fingers are getting tired). It says that the animals used for meat are older animals from "pasturage" - culls from breeding herds, for example, not riding horses, since they need to be free of medications and drugs. But it says the average Brazilian thinks eating horse is as icky as eating dog. Most of the horse meat is exported (with, apparently, the exception of a few proponents in the gourmet restaurant biz).

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/c...5u322417.shtml

Ok this thing is old as dirt.. but with all of the stuff in question. Can we answer the OP better now? I'm just curious...
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Slaughter is not illegal in the US. There just happen to be no operating slaughterhouses right now.

Illinois and California are the only states with laws against slaughter or consumption of horse meat.
    They may have laws against it, but I can tell you that I know for a fact that there are people in Joliet who do slaughter and eat horse meat. Pretty much untouchable because it happens on private property where it can't be seen.

Did we have to bring back up yet one more slaughter thread?

2 members found this post helpful.

Just couldn't resist, could you Bluey?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Just couldn't resist, could you Bluey?
    I think you may be skirting the line with stalking, the way you seem to follow me every thread and pick at me?

Don't know what I may have said that made you now start playing that game?
    I have already told you once to ease up, I am not going to play and stalk back.

I will repeat, I think it is against the rules to stalk another poster, just think about that for a bit.

As far as South American countries eating horse, I don't know about Brazil, but the more southern ones, Argentina and Chile do, I have heard that from family that came from there.
    They make a big pit fire and roast meat in it, all kinds, including horse meat.
    I didn't ask if any of it was better than other.

Moi? No if anyone is at fault, we both are Bluey.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Moi? No if anyone is at fault, we both are Bluey.
    Really?

Seems that you have been picking at me the last day, just looking for me to do so.
    I have only answered to your picking, never looked for you anywhere, really don't enter my radar who you are, so could not say where I may have offended you before.

I answer to the posts as I read them, not who posted.
    Have even had people tell me, "I thought you were on my side!"
    My response, "only when you post stuff I agree with".

Now, again, where have I staked you?

I wanted to add, most meat eaten in Europe half a century ago was not grilled, but cooked to death with other kinds of food, more the roast or swiss steak or stew type.

Cooking any meat like that, you can make any work, it doesn't has to be very good quality or tender or flavorful, because the cooking will make it tender and other with it help the flavor.

I think cooking like that, horse meat is acceptable, but by far can't compare with a grilled prime beef steak, when we are talking about enjoying meat on it's own merits.
    That is not my opinion only, many blind taste tests, some in Europe, have confirmed that, it is the way the human palate has evolved.

In other words, horse meat is not very impressive from a culinary point of view, just as goat or other such are not, for your basic family type cooking.
    My point, horse meat in itself would be, I think, a hard sell in a market with many other choices.

In general, Anglophone countries/cultures are not horse eating..... Britain, USA, Ireland, Australia/NZ. However, everyone of those countries either slaughters horses and exports the meat, or exports it on the hoof to be slaughtered.

I can't think of any country where it is illegal to actually slaughter a horse or illegal to eat horse meat.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-