The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's possible that horse meat is not commonly eaten by Muslims and Jews? I don't know my kosher/halal rules very well, but I think both groups only eat beef, sheep and goat, among the hoofed animals. Of course, there are always people in those communities who are not very strict about rules. And a "Muslim country" might have other ethnic/religious groups also living there that don't follow the same customs. Even in Saudi Arabia there are lots of foreigners (guest workers from Asia, Westerners, etc.). So I wouldn't rule out horse meat entirely without some research.

UK don't

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for all of the replies. The Antarctica made me laugh

How about Costa Rica, Belize, Honduras, Panama,Nicaragua or UAE, Greenland,
    I haven't found anything about these countries online.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Are there horses in Greenland?

I don't remember the rules, but I think horses MAY fall into a non-kosher category because of their hooves (not split) but I don't think there is any prohibition on the meat for Muslims.

Quote Originally Posted by msrobin View Post
    Thank you for all of the replies. The Antarctica made me laugh

How about Costa Rica, Belize, Honduras, Panama,Nicaragua or UAE, Greenland,
    I haven't found anything about these countries online.
    No idea about UAE and Greenland... as for the others... yep.

Quote Originally Posted by DandyMatiz View Post
    No idea about UAE and Greenland... as for the others... yep.
    Are you sure about Costa Rica? I searched and searched and didn't find anything.
    Ms Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    Be careful what assumptions you make. I was watching a program about restaurants/food. A Canadian restaurant was talking about their horse meat delicacy. It is not on the menu but they will serve it if asked. It is not on the menu because they do not want the backlash from activists or crazy people. It is known, in the right circles, as THE place to go for loin of horse.
    Yes, well thanks for that. I'm not actually assuming anything. The question, as I understood it, was about legal slaughter of horsemeat for human consumption. I'm quite sure that there is a black market in most things if you go looking for it. The fact remains that in Australia, in most states it's illegal to sell horsemeat for human consumption. The only state where it is legal is WA, and only one butcher has a licence which was granted in July this year.
    Note - I said "sell for human consumption" could you slaughter a horse and give the meat to your restaurateur friend? If you bought a horse and asked the abattoir to slaughter it for you, could you serve it in a restaurant? No idea. Certain cultures do eat horsemeat. Generally there isn't considered to be a market for it here. That may change, and other state governments have said they would reconsider if community values changed substantially.

So in answer to the original question, if I wanted to eat horsemeat in Melbourne my options would be
    a) buy it from a pet food store
    b) slaughter it myself
    c) go looking for an illegal source

None of which I'm interested in doing.
    Is that clearer?

For humans, horses have always been one more natural, renewable resource we have used.
    We have multiple uses for horses, one of them for food, as they are composed of a large amount of meat and to many, it seems wasteful not to make that one use also.

One reason laws were imposed against selling horse meat is because some would sell it as other meats, or mixed with them, adulterating the other meats.
    Growing up in Europe right after WWII, I am sure we ate plenty of "rabbit" that didn't hop, but chased mice.
    Laws were enabled later that processed rabbits had to be sold with their tail on.

At the time those laws against horse meat were passed, everyone understood why.
    To us today, they seem to have been made to make any use of horse for meat illegal, although that was not the intent of those laws initially, were there just to keep butcherers honest.

In Iceland, they have herds of meat icelandic horses and the ones in the riding herds that don't make good riding horses are also processed as meat horses.
    Waste not is the way so many societies evolved and using horses one more time thru slaughter has traditionally been one more use of them.

I think it is inhumane to let people starve to uphold some odd religiously guided principle, as some people in India used to, letting "sacred" cattle decimate their crops and not being able to protect them from those cattle, or make use of those cattle to supplement their diets.
    Laws against slaughtering horses based on some hard to defend principle make about as much sense as those did for those sects in India.
    Once a horse is dead, well, it is really dead and so many of them are a veritable large resource of several products, meat just one of them, that if not processed for those uses, becomes a liability as waste we have to "dispose of properly".

Most western countries today are so affluent they can choose what natural resources to use and which to waste without direct consequences.
    They have the whole word at their fingertips and the wealth to choose from it all, just look at any supermarket in the USA today.
    In those countries is where you will find today those laws against slaughtering horses for consumption have been or are about to be enacted.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

I don't remember the rules, but I think horses MAY fall into a non-kosher category because of their hooves (not split) but I don't think there is any prohibition on the meat for Muslims.
    This listing suggests that horses are on the 'unclean' list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unclean_animals

But cloven hooved or not is not an indicator, I don't think, witness that pork is what everyone knows to be a no no for Jews, Muslims, and I think 7th Day Adventists. I think the above link may provide more info, I just skimmed it.

In Costa Rica, I never saw horse meat for sale nor heard of people eating it. I was working in the Southern Pacific, but not in the most rural of areas. I never saw any mention of horse meat sale regulations during my two years working for the Min of Ag. Like in Canada, though, it could have been 'off the record' sales.

In Haiti, it is tabou in my part of the country but it is eaten in some area up north.

In the Old Testament, mammals had to both have split hooves AND chew their cud in order to be 'clean'. Not sure about present day Kosher rules, but I assume that base principal is still in force.

Slight hi-jack...Lucky-Donkey...That form is SO full of loop holes, you could use it as a sieve.

Question 3 in Part 2: History:
    "Has the animal identified on this document to your knowledge been treated with a substance listed under the table named substances not permitted for use in food producing equine found in section E.4 during the shorter of the following 3 periods:

since January 31, 2010, in the last 180 days, or during the the time you owned the animal."
    If a KB bought the animal yesterday and hasn't given him anything on the banned list, does that make him safe to slaughter for human consumption?

I know that's not what they meant, but that IS what it says.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programme.

NJR

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post
    For just about everyone else, meat is meat and hungry people are not that picky about where it comes from.
    Not necessarily the case everywhere - Guatemala has a ridiculously high rate of poverty and malnutrition, and I have yet to see or hear of someone eating horsemeat here. And I live in one of the most impoverished areas of the country. I made a bad joke once living here about how great it would be if it were socially acceptable to eat dog, there are so so so many of those...that did NOT go over well with my town!

Every town here is legally required to have a slaughterhouse, but I've never even heard of a horse being slaughtered...just cattle there. Laws are rather lax (who woulda guessed!?), so usually anything smaller is just killed at home. Giant pigs are usually killed for graduation celebrations, and chickens for birthdays. If anyone was curious for some useless information...

On a random side note, rabbit is technically the healthiest meat you can eat - highest amount of protein, and lowest amount of fat compared to all other meat, poultry, fish, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post
    Not necessarily the case everywhere - Guatemala has a ridiculously high rate of poverty and malnutrition, and I have yet to see or hear of someone eating horsemeat here. And I live in one of the most impoverished areas of the country. ...
    On a similar note, I once spent two weeks in a small village in rural northern Brazil, and the house where we rented a room happened to be across the street from a slaughterhouse. They killed cattle and pigs daily, but the horses I saw were used for working the cattle and transportation. I also saw goats raised for meat. The poorest people lived on fish and shrimp they caught. Horse was not considered a food animal, neither were cats and dogs, even though feral/stray dogs were not uncommon. But in that region horses were not very abundant, and if you had one it was worth more for riding than for food.

There are large Italian-descended populations in the south and central Brazil - it's possible there is horse meat eaten by them, since horse meat is eaten in Italy, but I've never heard of it or witnessed it personally.

Sorry I can't help you with a list of countries whose residents DON'T eat or slaughter horses, or export their meat, or export them alive to other countries to be butchered

But there is a link on the internet that says that horses ARE slaughtered in the UK at at least three licensed butchers or slaughterhouses - some of the video is graphic. Last time I looked, Cornwall was in England, and apparently this is where this antisalughter group is. Here is the link- I can't think why a group would post video and would say horses are being slaughtered if they are not.

[URL="http://www.cornwallsvoiceforanimals.org/​StopTheHorseSlaughter.html"]
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

Quote Originally Posted by elysian*fields*farm View Post

But there is a link on the internet that says that horses ARE slaughtered in the UK at at least three licensed butchers or slaughterhouses - some of the video is graphic.
    Guest you missed the OP request that this NOT be made into a slaughter thread?

The issue is where is horse meat eaten. A poster from the UK said, 'not here.' He could be wrong, of course, but whether there are slaughterhouses in the UK is beside the point. Just sayin'.

Well, I think the point is that it isn't quite as black and white as geographical boundaries; cultural and economic variances have great sway on what is eaten where. You may be hard pressed to find or formulate a definitive list of countries where no horse meat is eaten ever.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

HorsesinHaiti - Thanks for the info about Costa Rica! I just love that place.

LulaBell- That is very interesting about Guatemala.

elysian*fields*farm- Thanks for the link, that clears up England.

twofatponies- I bet that was horrible, having to be across the street like that. I did find by searching horse meat Brazil, that they do slaughter and export meat.

Anyone know about the Caribbean or islands like Fiji, Tahiti etc
    Ms Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Guest you missed the OP request that this NOT be made into a slaughter thread?

The issue is where is horse meat eaten. A poster from the UK said, 'not here.' He could be wrong, of course, but whether there are slaughterhouses in the UK is beside the point. Just sayin'.
    Thread was titled "What countries DO NOT eat or slaughter horses?" (My underline) It stands to reason that if slaughterhouses licensed to slaughter horses are operating in the UK, then horse slaughter goes on there, whether the horse meat is sold and consumed there is another matter.

But, unless people are prohibited from bringing back horsemeat products from the continent- who is to say that people don't buy horsemeat on the continent and bring it back to the UK to eat it? Just a thought.

So back off--I just provided a link that showed slaughterhouses licensed to slaughter horses exist in the UK so that country would NOT be one of the countries that DOES NOT eat or slaughter horses-- I didn't say anything about being pro- or anti- horsemeat eating or or horse slaughtering.

Did warn that there was graphic video at that link so anyone going there would not be unaware of its content ahead of time.

Just provided a link- that's all. OP thanked me for the info. If you had bothered to wait for her response post before pouncing-- you would have seen that OP appreciated the info.---

And it's guess, not guest. Thinking about "guessing," I'm busy trying to guess why you pounced on my post when several previous posters had anti-slaughter signatures-- and one poster actually said horse slaughter goes on in the UK -- and you didn't make any comments about their posts- just mine--Hummm
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

IIRC, Jewish dietary law specifies having both a cloven hoof and chewing a cud, thereby eliminating horses and pigs. I distinctly remember a conversation with a very articulate Jewish attorney who actually pulled a volume off a shelf in his library to ascertain that consumption of horse meat was not Kosher, so to speak. There are many Jews who do not keep Kosher.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Ezra, the post Ajierene made has nothing to do with illegal or "black market" horse meat. It's perfectly legal in Canada - the restaurant chooses not to advertise that particular menu item openly because of the fear of protests, but the meat is legal to serve in restaurants.