The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did anyone else have a recent unscheduled dismount?

Commiserate here.

My boy bucked me off last Sunday when I was trying to right a slipping saddle. I hit the ground pretty hard and came up cussing. I did get back on and ride for about 20 minutes but my back is still sore even a week later. Thank God for my family nurse practitioner, naproxen, and flexeril. And epsom salt baths!

Anybody else want to share?
    Alis volat propriis.

Yeah, I did. Was schooling at a new show venue on Friday, and my horse spooked hard at a new jump. I came off. Onlookers said it looked as though I did a cartwheel in the air. It wasn't a hard fall, but it felt as though my arms were wrenched out of their sockets and then popped back in.

I am glad I wear a safety vest!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I got bucked off of the mounting block while playing around with backing my coming-3yo the other day....does that count? I think I hit the ground harder than I did the last time I came off of a horse.

I was leaning on my youngster and then stepping back down on my mounting block.....which is a 2-step block that I had tipped up on it's back to make taller (yeah, yeah, you can all see where that's going....*sigh* wish I had too!). I leaned on her and then went to step back down on the block and it FLIPPED (I mean like 3 or 4 flips in the air! Okay, maybe <1, but it sure felt like it did something more acrobatic than me!). And the kicker (ha ha)? After landing squarely back-first on the block, it deposited me right underneath my mare's feet. Sensible baby that she is, she exited stage rear, but careful extricated her feet from around my body and managed to miss me completely. And then happily came back up to the block for a few more goes, obviously pretty convinced that she is being backed by a clown

Took me 2 weeks to recover from the bruise to my butt and my ego. And I promptly replaced the 2-step I've used for 10 years with a nice, solid 3-step mounting block. And then it turns out I probably didn't need to do the whole leaning thing with my smart little mare. I swung up on her the next day and she was like, "for god's sake, it's about time!"

Ahhh, hindsight.

1 members found this post helpful.

January 19 - epic dismount as described here:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-story-and-PSA

I didn't update the thread, but I found out about 2 weeks after the accident that I had a hairline fracture in my lower back. The ER somehow forgot to tell me this and I only found out when I complained to my regular doc that I had a new pain in my arse and they looked up my images from the ER.

Between the cold weather we had in Jan/Feb and some other issues, I am just now getting back to regular riding. Nothing much was bothering me except cantering - when I tried to follow the horse's motion I just felt stiff. However, this is clearing up too - I had a great ride today.

Not an experience I ever ever ever want to repeat.

I hope you feel better soon, all of you!!!!

Does a horse need to be involved?

I wanted that one bale way up there on the hay stack, so I can square it better eventually and crawled all the way to the top of the barn.
    Pulled on it and it was, surprise, a very light bale, not at all like the other heavy ones.
    The bale kept flying and my arm right along with it, my body following, bouncing on other bales as we fell to the concrete floor with a big thud.
    I fell on top of that bale, that made for a very good cushion.
    Of course, I first looked around to be sure no one saw me.
    I think even the horses, first bugged eyed, were by then trying not to burst out laughing.

Guess what, not even a bruise, just a sore arm from tying to hang onto the bale.
    Next time, I will learn to - LET - GO.

I hope those of you with injuries heal quickly.

2 members found this post helpful.

Unscheduled dismounts would mean you were actually sitting on a horse, right? So... no, not me. Closest I've gotten to riding on my horse lately has been feeding and scratching noses. *Sigh* I really need to get my lazy ass on my fat horse. We could both use it.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Does a horse need to be involved?

I wanted that one bale way up there on the hay stack, so I can square it better eventually and crawled all the way to the top of the barn.
    Pulled on it and it was, surprise, a very light bale, not at all like the other heavy ones.
    The bale kept flying and my arm right along with it, my body following, bouncing on other bales as we fell to the concrete floor with a big thud.
    I fell on top of that bale, that made for a very good cushion.
    Of course, I first looked around to be sure no one saw me.
    I think even the horses, first bugged eyed, were by then trying not to burst out laughing.

Guess what, not even a bruise, just a sore arm from tying to hang onto the bale.
    Next time, I will learn to - LET - GO.

I hope those of you with injuries heal quickly.

Oh lord, I about died reading this.....mostly because when I was 16 I was up in the hay loft, threw a bale down and for some reason didn't let go....ended up swinging my weight off hay loft edge and (thankfully) had sense enough to let go at that point and grab the rafter. Barn Owner came in and found me and grabbed a ladder for me to get down safely....after laughing for what I swear was 10 minutes at me hanging there from the ceiling.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    Oh lord, I about died reading this.....mostly because when I was 16 I was up in the hay loft, threw a bale down and for some reason didn't let go....ended up swinging my weight off hay loft edge and (thankfully) had sense enough to let go at that point and grab the rafter. Barn Owner came in and found me and grabbed a ladder for me to get down safely....after laughing for what I swear was 10 minutes at me hanging there from the ceiling.
    Wow!

Those hay stacks have a way to buck us off also, don't they.

Yes, non horse-related falls and mounting block falls also count!

Oldernewbie, I just read your post about your fall. HOLY COW! Thanks for the reminder to take calcium AND wear a helmet. Although I ride western, I still put my Tipperary on before every ride and I am so glad I had it on last week.

Oh.... and I just now realized the irony of my signature line. Maybe I should change that.
    Alis volat propriis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Wow!

Those hay stacks have a way to buck us off also, don't they.
    I blame it on preoccupation -- Hay bales don't move/kick/bite/spook....so I shouldn't HAVE to pay attention! Harumph.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Yes, last Saturday. My own fault, I'd just been bragging to someone about how good my pony had been despite the lack of riding time...
    Saddled her up to ride around in the snow & mud. Decided the footing was good enough to canter a little. First time around had a couple of happy bucks. No big deal, we all feel that way when it starts to warm up. Next time around, more bucks, a little tail wringing. Now I'm not so accepting, that was veering into bad manners. Change direction, pick up the canter again. Just as we get to the one area that does not have clean snow, just a sea of mud, she stops dead, plants her feet and launches me. No serious injuries, but a bit of equine whiplash and a sore neck. And lots of mud packed into my sweater

I did get back on, made her work more and we did canter successfully.

Yep, just last week! Baby pony slowed down and lost straightness before going over a small jump, then slammed on the brakes and bucked afterwards. Thankfully I shot up the neck and could grab an armful of neck to soften the landing.

No, but almost went off backwards twice within the last month. My western saddle's cantle saved me both times. Mondy was practicing his caprioles.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

The moral of the story, no matter what the story, seems to be:

Wear your helmet! Take reasonable precautions! Take your calcium!

Mom talk, over and out!

Twice on Friday.

At lunchtime I was walking across the parking lot at the Post Office, putting my keys in my handbag as I walked. Somehow I caught my foot on something, and went down. I was not able to get my hands out in front of me, and hit my face. I got two small scratches on my glasses lens, and some road rash right along the eye socket. My teeth hit the asphalt too, but luckily did no damage to my bridgework. It WAS horse related because I was going to the post office to mail the check to pay for my new project horse.

Maybe I need to wear a helmet to go to the post office!

In the evening, I had a jumping lesson. I gave Belle a really weak ride to a combination, and we swam through the first element (breaking the lattice gate). Not surprisingly, she stopped before taking the second element, and I rolled off over her shoulder. No damage this time, and we rejumped it without issues.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Default Must install Rule #1

You guys need to install Rule #1

THERE ARE NO UNAUTHORIZED DISMOUNTS ALLOWED*

* and you Mr/Ms horse do not get to authorize dismounts

Then let me know how that goes for you. Still trying to install here.

I fell off my TB the other day jumping. It's actually pretty weird, I've had him for 3 or so years and its the first time I fell off him, even though I've fallen off horses that weren't mine since I've had him. And he can be pretty fresh, too, so I guess I just got lucky. Anyway, we were having a jumping lesson in the indoor arena. We were jumping some small verticals to work on straightness and all, and I guess someone had a touch of spring fever! I let him take a really long spot and he got pretty euphoric on the other side and threw a couple really big, twisty bucks. The wall came up fast, so when he turned I went right over his shoulder, smacked into the wall and rolled under him. He kicked me pretty good in the back, but he really did his best not to step on me, good boy that he is. I got back on a jumped a few more fences. I was lucky in that I was only sore the next day. In some ways, I'm glad that I finally fell off him since its not hanging over my head anymore.

Yep. A couple of weeks ago on a trail ride, I was loping along behind my husband when his cowboy hat flew off and landed in front of my horse. He spooked to the side. The sand was pretty deep and he nearly went down. At first I thought he was trying to buck then realized he was kind of flailing around trying not to go down. I fell off but he stayed on his feet. Luckily, it was a pretty soft landing.

Yep ~ came off my gelding when he loped head first into the wall instead of making the corner of the arena. I put my right hand out to stop my body from slamming into the wall and my horse decided to take a hard left which of course made me lose my balance. He then took off at a dead run so I finally just let go when I realized trying to stop him was pointless Went to the ER by ambulance........came out with a concussion and 4 compression fractures in my thorcic spine I am now on a little vacation for a while to heal........did I mention show season starts the beginning of May
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I slid off Rue the other day. Pottering about on him bareback while checking fences. He put his head down to grab grass, and I slid off. Long way down from a 17.2, but I landed on my feet in the mud. Reminder to pay attention to the horse!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!