The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question What countries DO NOT eat or slaughter horses?

**This is not a debate about horse slaughter, please**

I would like to know what countries do not eat or slaughter horses for human consumption. Also where it is illegal other than the states. I am writing a paper for school.

Thank you.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Default The UK slaughters plenty

but it is generally sold to other countries to be consumed.
    The British don't usually, knowingly, eat horsemeat.

They are about the only ones other than some sections of the USA population.

For just about everyone else, meat is meat and hungry people are not that picky about where it comes from.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by msrobin View Post
    Also where it is illegal other than the states.
    Slaughter is not illegal in the US. There just happen to be no operating slaughterhouses right now.

Illinois and California are the only states with laws against slaughter or consumption of horse meat.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Slaughter is not illegal in the US. There just happen to be no operating slaughterhouses right now.

Illinois and California are the only states with laws against slaughter or consumption of horse meat.
    Yep, this is right. There is no federal law against slaughter, it's pretty much decided on a state by state basis (and several states are working to bring it back).
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post
    but it is generally sold to other countries to be consumed.
    The British don't usually, knowingly, eat horsemeat.

They are about the only ones other than some sections of the USA population.

For just about everyone else, meat is meat and hungry people are not that picky about where it comes from.
    MW
    There are between 180-195 countries in the world. I am sure there are plenty who don't eat horses. As far as I am aware it is not actually illegal to eat horsemeat in the US either, just not generally done.

There is some good info here for your paper http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat

1 members found this post helpful.

Just so you know, there are now new regulations from canada in regards to what horses are elegible to go to slaughter. There is a 3 page form that now has to be filled out if you take a horse to an auction. it is very detailed and includes listing of any meds, vaccinations, wormers, etc the horse may have had for the last 6 months, must draw all markings on the horse, list a detailed description of the horse, and you must have owned the horse for at least 6 months, as well as describe what the horse was used for. Any horse i nthe states going through public sale has to have this form now. If your horse had Ace, the meat buyers can't bid on them- if you have not owned the horse for 6 months, the meat buyers can not bid on them. I have the form- they gave me a copy at the sale. This is going to leave many horses inelligible to be bid on, therefore more unwanted and homeless horses out there this winter.

Antartica. Start with Antartica.

oh wait, Countries, not Continents.

Nevermind

2 members found this post helpful.

I would say, look for countries where there are no horses- that'd be where you would find no horse meat consumption.

There is actually a fair amount of horse meat consumption in this country- popular among certain ethnic groups here in Utah, for example- they just don't need slaughterhouses, they dispatch and butcher on their own.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    There is actually a fair amount of horse meat consumption in this country- popular among certain ethnic groups here in Utah, for example- they just don't need slaughterhouses, they dispatch and butcher on their own.
    Really? In Utah? That wouldn't have been my first guess. More info please?

I would agree with Beverley--the ones with no slaughter or consumption are the ones with either no horses, or where horses are a serious luxury item and in very short supply.

Heck, on Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, he just ate donkey in China, where apparently they're raised as meat animals.

I was wondering, does Iceland slaughter & eat their icelandic ponies? I guess they do too, right?
    Other horses will not be found there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    I was wondering, does Iceland slaughter & eat their icelandic ponies? I guess they do too, right?
    One of the main reasons they are raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    From the wiki article, which I found interesting:

Iceland See also: Cuisine of Iceland
    In Iceland it is both eaten minced and as steak, also used in stews and fondue, prized for its strong flavor. It has a particular role in the culture and history of the island, as its consumption was one of the concessions won when the pagan Norse Icelanders eventually adopted Christianity in the year 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Really? In Utah? That wouldn't have been my first guess. More info please?
    Well, let's just say without getting into inappropriate cultural sidebars, that there are certain ethnic groups here, not European in origin, that are fond of cookouts using horse meat.

I like to think for the most part they acquire the animals legally. And I don't have any recent stats, but a brand inspector did tell me, gee, a good 10 or more years ago now, that human consumption was the leading reason for horse theft in this state. Preference to large, round ponies. MO, remove animal from field (made easier if halters are on horses or on gate), lead some distance away to waiting pickup, slit throat, put on truck, off to prepare for the cookout. Long gone by the time horse owner misses horse at morning feed.

We don't have a commercial, human consumption, horse meat market in New Zealand. Horses are sometimes killed and processed for personal use. I don't think it is illegal to sell it here, but have never seen it offered commercially. There are a number of laws around ownership of animals which are processed for personal consumption (ie animal has to be owned for 28 days amongst others). Processing (or what ever you want to call it) and then exporting the meat is prohibitively expensive and means that "meat men" simply don't make enough money to make it worthwhile.

Horses which go to the "meat man" here are going for processing for pet food. I have no idea what the regulations are around their processing and have never seen inside a processing plant here. You get about $50 at the most / horse from the meat man. Lots of people get the local huntsman to come and shoot the horse on the property and take it away.

We do not seem to have a problem with unwanted and homeless horses - but then we have a temperate climate so horses can live out all year round. Lots of horses "retire" when they stilll have many years of use left in them, simply because their riders have given up, or got bored or what ever and can't be bothered selling or re-homing.

Its not all great, horses still suffer, but from what I've seen and heard, I think that life for horses would be much worse if there was a market for human consumption. No way would I eat horse meat - because I know what gets pumped into them in the way of medications etc.

NZ Horsemeat does indeed go for human consumption. The slaughter houses (Clover and Alpine export) are Belgium owned, and the meat goes offshore to europe for consumption over there.

http://www.optimail.com.au/berrime/s...tm#NEW_ZEALAND

Although Im sure there are some NZ residents who eat horsemeat, it is certainly not something that is served up in restaurants or at your local picnic...

I lived in Belgium and it was the staple diet in the household that I lived in.

Australia didn't eat them, we just exported the meat overseas.

Between 30,000 and 40,000 horses are processed for human and pet consumption annually. Meat for human consumption is exported because it cannot be sold for this purpose in Australia. Some horses are exported live for human and pet consumption. Of the horses processed in Australia about 20% are feral horses, mainly harvested from the northern regions of Australia. Horsemeat for export must be processed in export-accredited abattoirs. Currently there are two abattoirs that are export-accredited, one in Queensland and one in South Australia. For the domestic market there are 33 licensed knackeries in Australia that produce pet food from horsemeat. RIRDC figures in 2009.

However, just recently a butcher has started selling horsemeat for human consumption in Western Australia amid much media fuss and outrage.

NZ Horsemeat does indeed go for human consumption. The slaughter houses (Clover and Alpine export) are Belgium owned, and the meat goes offshore to europe for consumption over there.
    Seems a lot slaughterhouses are Belgian owned, , not overly proud about that. Funny thing most Belgians themselves don't have any idea where their horsemeat came from.

RR, hmm, and there was me thinking Iceland would be slaughterfree .

Quote Originally Posted by IfWishesWereHorses View Post
    Although Im sure there are some NZ residents who eat horsemeat, it is certainly not something that is served up in restaurants or at your local picnic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Australia didn't eat them, we just exported the meat overseas.
    Be careful what assumptions you make. I was watching a program about restaurants/food. A Canadian restaurant was talking about their horse meat delicacy. It is not on the menu but they will serve it if asked. It is not on the menu because they do not want the backlash from activists or crazy people. It is known, in the right circles, as THE place to go for loin of horse.

Quote Originally Posted by IfWishesWereHorses View Post

http://www.optimail.com.au/berrime/s...tm#NEW_ZEALAND
    Sorry, just to clarify my "We don't have a commercial, human consumption, horse meat market in New Zealand." - I really meant within NZ. Horse meat in New Zealand needs to be processed before it can be exported - horses don't get sent "on the hoof". Distances in New Zealand are also small compared with US and Canada - so they don't spend days being transported by road. The amount of horsemeat exported for human consumption over the last few years has reduced from that report quoted - mainly due to the expense because of distance.