The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse killers going to court, contact judge

Two of the scums in Miami's illegal horse slaughters will go to court next month. Please write the judge to let her know that they should not get off easy (unfortunately, slaughtering them while alive is not an option for punishment)
    Judge Sarah Zabel
    Case # F09-30542 A & B
    Rm 209, Richard Gerstein Justice Bldg.
    1351 NW 12th St
    Miami, Fl 33125
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Um, last I checked our legal system doesn't work by popular vote. Even bad guys deserve fair trials. While I hope they burn in hell and get the book thrown at them, I think trying to sway a judge is a little unethical.....
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

Darn it. I was going to vote for a public flogging and then infection with a plague of chronic painful boils on their private parts.

Yep, we used to "file" hysterical letters to the judge away. Judge never saw them.

Not ethical at all and doesn't accomplish anything...

Default And furthermore

killing horses is not illegal, as long as you own the horse when you kill it, or do so at the behest of the owner.
    Much though it upsets us as horsefolk, all they are going to be tried for is theft of the horse.

And don't get all high and mighty Thomas there are plenty of horses killed in the UK! Just not as well publicised.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post
    killing horses is not illegal, as long as you own the horse when you kill it, or do so at the behest of the owner.
    Much though it upsets us as horsefolk, all they are going to be tried for is theft of the horse.

And don't get all high and mighty Thomas there are plenty of horses killed in the UK! Just not as well publicised.
    MW
    Um, these horses were stolen out of peoples backyards and slaughtered alive on the spot.
    And in Florida, this is now a felony, thanks to our Govenor.
    Also, when did it become wrong to let the court system know that we are outraged over such a heinous crime? There have been plenty of horse killing cases on here where it was asked that such letters were written and they proved to have favorable results. I am surprised by the responses so far.
    Lori T

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post

MW
    Don't be a pillock!

The horses were stolen and killed. Even I know that's what they're on trial for!

Please note that if they were stealing and killing horses in the UK then I'd still be inclined to vote for a public flogging and the plague of boils.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Don't be a pillock!

The horses were stolen and killed. Even I know that's what they're on trial for!

Please note that if they were stealing and killing horses in the UK then I'd still be inclined to vote for a public flogging and the plague of boils.
    I do like how you think!!!
    Lori T

Judges read every letter they get where I come from. And it is ethical to write the state's attorney in Florida before the trial, and to write the judge if the guys are convicted. Ethics 101.
    Altho a letter to the state's attorney in that county in Florida will be very helpful to let him/her know what everyone things, particularly those of you in Florida who vote. Elections for the state's attorney (the prosecutor in FLorida) may be this fall.
    And, if the guys are convicted, then a letter to the judge about sentencing will help.

Not only were they stolen and slaughtered, in at least one case the horse was killed IN HIS STALL where his owner found what was left of him the next morning! Personally, I think a plague of boils on his privates is way too lenient. I think that if you write a short, polite, non-hysterical letter it might get read and at the very least, you tried.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

You can certainly write a letter to the Judge expressing your opinion as to the sentencing. She doesn't have to respond or consider the suggestions, but she may. I would be polite and as rational/non-emotional as possible to increase the chances you are taken seriously.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I just checked the docket (it's public record but there's no direct URL - just search "Miami Dade County Criminal Court" and then find Case Search) for Case A, and it looks as if the Judge IS accepting letters and forwarding them on to the clerk's office to make them a part of the case record. So yeah, write.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Slaughtered alive - huh ?
    Slaughtering is the act of killing.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

The term "slaughtered alive" IS an oxymoron for sure, but I get what Lori T. was trying to say...I remember one of those "Animal Cops" shows a few years back on Animal Planet, where two wonderful young men decided their backyard race horse was not fast enough, so they tied him fast to a backhoe and cut him up with a chainsaw, parting him out until he died. Another horse was there, freaked out, within sight of the carnage. Cops/cameras were on scene quick, the footage was horrible, even blurred out. So, I guess it's to be called "butchered alive", eh?

I wish morons like these would get for their punishment the same pain and torture they inflicted on their victims....

Maybe she means they were not humanely put down before being butchered?

I am all for writing the letters, but I am guessing they will be better received by Florida residents AND if they are written in a clear, unemotional, grammatically correct manner.

Because they were stolen, I hope the judge can consider the financial loss, as this will likely be what gets them time, if anything. Of course, it may be that other laws were violated, such as safe handling of food practices, et al.

As much as I would love for animal abuse to be taken more seriously by the lawmakers and enforcers, it just isn't. With prisons overflowing, and the economy tanking, the prosecuting attorney will have to show evidence that there was a financial loss (I'm not an attorney/lawmaker so this is my guess based on what I have observed and understood from reading about previous cases that involve horse that were killed) or a danger/threat to society at large. That's my best guess.

If I were writing such a letter, I'd want to know what all the charges are, the maximum sentences of each, and try and formulate a persuasive argument that is articulate and cognizant of local social and legal concerns.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful. This entire situation is terribly sad and rather horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by spurgirl View Post
    The term "slaughtered alive" IS an oxymoron for sure, but I get what Lori T. was trying to say...I remember one of those "Animal Cops" shows a few years back on Animal Planet, where two wonderful young men decided their backyard race horse was not fast enough, so they tied him fast to a backhoe and cut him up with a chainsaw, parting him out until he died. Another horse was there, freaked out, within sight of the carnage. Cops/cameras were on scene quick, the footage was horrible, even blurred out. So, I guess it's to be called "butchered alive", eh?

I wish morons like these would get for their punishment the same pain and torture they inflicted on their victims....
    Dear GOD, I'm going to have nightmares!

Quote Originally Posted by spurgirl View Post

This is exactly what they are accused of doing, while the horses were still alive... They are selling the meat on the black market.

There are photos, for those of you who think writing a letter is a bad idea. Is that what it takes? Lori, thank-you for making us aware...
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

Lori,

Have you got details of the perpetrators?

I understand this is this one of them:

http://www.justnews.com/news/21576208/detail.html

According to the arrest report, Cabrera and the others began cutting the horse's front quarters while it was still alive, strapping its mouth to keep it quiet. The arrest report said Cabrera told police he was paid $500 for his involvement.

Quarter Horse, Linda, and the Thoroughbred, King Quizi
    LINDA’S STORY: Just to give you an idea of the suffering involved, in July 2009, under cover of night, Cordero, Cabrera and two other individuals still at large, led Linda, a registered Appaloosa Quarter Horse mare, from her stall. She was followed by her baby, a still-nursing foal. When her throat was slit, Linda tried to flee. Cordero and Cabrera then broke both her front legs with a pipe to bring her down and proceeded to butcher her while she was still alive. All this was witnessed by her baby. Her meat was sold for human consumption.

KING QUIZI’S STORY: Then, in September 2009, these same two individuals and two others, led the racing Thoroughbred, King Quizi, from his stall and cut his throat. They strapped King Quizi’s mouth shut to mute his screams and proceeded to remove his front quarters and intestines, while he was still alive. His meat was sold for human consumption.

And Melyni if you're still paying attention, you'd better not give me any of your nonsense: just go get me a REALLY high horse and get it groomed and tacked up because for that puke I'm thinking stoning to death after castration is too good!

I would think a letter writing campaign to the prosecutor might be more effective.

I've done that already....