The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Perfect cat needs perfect home! Stroudsburg, PA

I'm mentioning right away, THIS CAT IS FIV POSITIVE!
    http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/e.../Orange%20cat/

I need to find a caring home for this very wonderful cat. I've been calling him Timmy but he doesn't know the name yet so you can feel free to change it. "Timmy" is approx 2 years old and was a stray. He used to hang around my friends barn (much to her dismay) but over a month ago he had a bot fly in his side and after the vet removed it the wound never healed and became large and irritated. I won't go into the whole story with it but I ended up bringing him home and keeping him in my spare room so the wound could stay clean and heal. It's been two weeks and it's completely closed up and just about healed. This cat has been incredible. Well behaved, litter trained, sweet as can be, in your lap, never offered to bite or scratch, AND HE TAKES PILLS! He is neutered and it appears it was a trap and release (right ear may have been tipped) My wonderful hubby saw how much I love this cat and agreed we could keep him...we already have 3 cats so I knew I needed to get the snap test before allowing him out of the room. We went today and unfortunately he tested positive for FIV. He is Leukemia and Heartworm negative and no fleas. He was just given a dewormer for tape worms but that should be cleared up soon. This is an incredible cat, everyone who meets him falls in love but I cannot in good faith let him loose in my house and unfortunately there is no way to limit him to one floor or another. I also refuse to put him back outside at the barn he was found at since that would be extremely irresponsible on my part.

I'm looking for either a home where he will be the only cat or a home with other FIV cats.

He's fine with other dogs and to the best of my knowledge is fine with other cats. My friend has a cat and they have been near each other, while she never liked him, he never offered to go after her.

He truly deserves a home to call his own, he shows no signs of his disease but we do not know how long he's had it either.

I'm willing to drive him to his new home even if it's hours away, but there will be a reference check and a contract that must be signed. Contract is nothing horrible, but he must be returned to me should something happen and you need to rehome him.

Here's a small album of pictures I took today...I'm very heartbroken but I know it wouldn't be fair to keep him

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/e.../Orange%20cat/
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Giving a bump up for this sweet boy. Also to add, he is a complete chatter box. If you talk to him he will keep talking back. I truly wish I could keep him but it wouldn't be fair to my cats to expose them to this. He is perfectly healthy but as with most FIV cats, they are prone to more infections and other problems in the future but he's currently a healthy, sweet, big boy!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.