The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feed for hard-keeper TB?

Any recommendations for a feed that will not energize a hottish TB, but give plenty of calories?

I was thinking of putting him on Triple Crown Complete, but was worried as I've seen several say their horses were hotter on it than on other feeds. I have him on Safe Choice now and he is good and quiet, but I know lots of you aren't fans.

I have access to Purina, Nutrena and Triple Crown. He gets free choice hay and lots of pasture, but he is a hard keeper and needs plenty of grain as well.

He used to be on Legends Performance, and looked great but he has calmed down a bit since on the Safe Choice. His condition is still great but he's only been on the Safe Choice a month. We don't have SS here, unfortunately.

It's either a love or hate relationship with this feed, but if I were you I'd try Purina Ultium. You can even add a little oil for a surplus of calories.

I would think about TC Senior. We have a TB on Cool Cal and it gives him the added calories without the energy. I saw a big difference in a month.

I too have always had good luck with ultium. I used to feed it to my older TB mare who was a SUPER hard keeper & it was the only thing she could eat and keep her weight. I swear by it. She too was a hot mare and was never hot while on it. I am currently using it on my STB rescue but being hot isn't really an issue with him. I also add oil and BOSS for the extra fat and calories.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I've had superior results from 14 lbs per day of Nutrena Senior, plus 10 lbs per day of alfalfa cubes. But mine WERE seniors and retired.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

When Troops got here last fall from the last situation he was ribby and in not such good physical condition. He has gorgeous hay in front of him all the time, and we gave him Strategy...we had good luck with it so we gave it shot. Didn't do a thing for him. Tried beep and oil...nada...tried a bunch of things. Finally tried Ultium.

OMG

His belly wrapped up around his back again and he started muscling up so beautifully. He likes it too, which is huge...he hates grain.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Hmm, interesting. Once in law school I boarded my old TB and my easy keeper at a barn that fed Purina Senior and Ultium and they really did poorly. Even my easy keeper was too thin. I think that probably had more to do with hay quality, but I've been leery of both ever since. Surprised that others love them so much!

Maybe I will have to give it a shot.

'nother vote for Ultium. Every animal is different, and I don't own any really HARD keepers, but the ones I've had that needed lots of calories or didn't do well on my normal ration balancer have thrived on Ultium. My skinny-bones broodmare is getting it (and much else) and finally FINALLY starting to gain ground.
    Click here before you buy.

Now granted my guy is a 26 TB. I feed him TC Senior-Alfalfa pellets and have him on SmartPak Senior. He has free choice coastal and he is looking great!

I've been really happy with the Ultium for my 4 year old TB. It has a NSC (carb/sugar) around 17% which is about as low as I've found without going to specifically "low starch" feed like Purina's Well Solve Low Starch (which is what my old guy gets.) Strategy is like 25%. The Ultium gets its energy by being high fat and high fiber--actually has beet pulp in it--and keeps the carbs down. It does not make my TB hotter, but alas it does not cure the 4yearoldstupids.

Ultium worked well for my older OTTB (17.2 - needs a good feed!)
    I add oil for extra calories. He really looks pretty fabulous

My hard keeper TB gets Triple Crown Senior and is doing fabulous on it: shiny and dappley and wonderful. TC Senior is very similar to TC Complete, but with less sugar. Also, if you get up to the recommended amount of feed listed on the bag and still need more weight, rice bran has NEVER failed me.

Other options would be triple crown senior, Pennfield Fibergized or Fibergized Omega and Purina Omolene 400. I have had good luck using the TC senior and Omolene 400 with horses needing to gain weight. If I had a hard keeper horse to feed in an area where Pennfield was available I would try the Fibergized. All these are high fat but also provide fermentable fiber.

Clair
    www.summit-equine.com

My TB gets Pennfield's Fibregized, but at one barn had been on Purina's Complete Advantage and did very well.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

I think I'm going to try TC Senior and see how it goes. I also like that I can give it to my fattie, who doesn't eat much but only likes textured feed and needs a low NSC product (he won't bother coming to the barn for pellets! Sigh.)

Another vote for Pennfield's Fibregized Omega. Love that stuff!!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

For my hard keeper TB, I like to give him the highest fat, lowest starch, highest calorie feed out there and then supplement with oil. My theory is I want to give them a high calorie (which also means high energy) with a high TDN so they absorb as many calories per pound as possible. That means I can give them LESS physical quantity of grain, which has the happy result of getting him to eat significantly more hay, which is also provided all the time (and make it a good quality, higher calorie alfalfa/grass mix to boot). Then I settle in for the long haul, not planning on putting ALL the weight on with more grain, but letting the horse slowly increase his calorie consumption primarily through additional hay.

For me, I like Seminole Wellness Senior because I'm a Seminole fan. If I wasn't feeding Seminole, Triple Crown would be my next choice, but again, I would go for that highest fat/lowest NSC feed option and supplement w/oil.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

And tons and tons of the best hay you can find. I have all faith in lots of food and lots of hay in particular. Some TB's can eat a surprising lot of food...once they have been tuned up with teeth, worming, etc. Some need lots of work to make that food into muscle that looks so nice.

Smile

TC Senior has an NSC of 11.7% and Purina Well Solve LS is 11%. I love TC Senior and my horse looks great on it. He is 21 and does not look it at all. It is the best feed aroung, bar none (in my opinion). Good luck with whatever you go with.

Another Ultium user here. I love the feed. But I also feed soaked beet pulp, flax, rice bran, black oil sunflower, and alfalfa hay. Keeps my horses looking great.