The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse living in VERY small chain link pen - WWYD?

First time I noticed this horse was maybe 2 months ago. It was staked out at the side of the road BY A ROPE AROUND ITS NECK (NO HALTER.) This is a very busy state highway. Then this morning I saw how this horse lives most of the time - in a chain link pen that is probably 14x14. It is the kind of pen you would expect someone to keep a DOG in, not a horse. Actually, that (a dog) is probably what the pen is really meant for.

I was driving to work this morning and the time the horse was staked out by the side road I had a horse trailer. So, I have not gotten a really good look at its condition.

Would you do anything or just MYOB? This horse is less than a mile from my place and lives in an area with maybe 6 mobile homes that is reasonably well kept. (Although a tad wooded so I really don't have a good view to see if the there is a lot of junk strewn around or not.) Point being, not a lot of land for a pasture for the horse, hence the chain link pen.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

The size of the "pen" doesn't bother me so much (many horses live in stalls of that size), but the staking out near a road is worrying. Can you contact your local Animal Control shelter and ask them to check it out? If you explain to them it's a big safety issue, then they might take it seriously.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Do you have a spare halter you could offer them? I realize that staking out is not ideal, but it would be an improvement to at least have a halter on!!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I agree that given that a normal box stall is 12 x 12, size of pen not a worry provided it is kept clean and horse has water.

As for tying out- commonly done when I grew up in Texas, and still commonly done around the world, so as long as horse is in decent condition, I'd MYOB.

Neck collaring to stake one out is possibly safer than a halter. So long as there's a swivel on the snap he won't likely get too tangled up. And as Beverley said that is not an uncommon way to graze a horse.

There's a horse I pass on my way to work that lives in the most amazing array of trash, dead appliances, beer cans, just TRASH. He's in remarkably good flesh and never looks to have gotten in a wreck in that mess. I shake my head at the whole shebang but there's nothing to be done.

Yes, I have seen several horses tied out in yards or side of the road. Hasn't bothered me. However, they are generally staked out with a halter. I had never seen one that basically had a lasso around its neck that it could strangle itself with if it got at all spooked or just reached too far at the end of the rope.

Not sure I can tell how clean the pen is. Will get a better idea when I am driving home (but not tonight because it will be after dark) since I can get over on the shoulder before the turn on to my road and safely slow down and look.

Really cute little brown and white pinto horse. Looks young but hard to tell because maybe it is just small and on the scrawny side. I feel so sorry for him/her. My horses have 12x18 stalls and minimum 1/2 acre (up to 4 acre) pastures with grass. :-( And this horse is just stuck in a tiny pen with no other horses around for any sort of companionship.

And now that I think of it, not even sure that pen is 14x14. Will also take a closer look at that. Seemed like the poor horse barely had enough room to turn around. It may be more like 10x10. Just got a fleeting glance as I drove by this morning and I was just shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Neck collaring to stake one out is possibly safer than a halter. So long as there's a swivel on the snap he won't likely get too tangled up. And as Beverley said that is not an uncommon way to graze a horse.
    There was no snap. This was like a lasso that would tighten around the horse's neck if he put tension on it. Granted, I have only seem the horse out by the road like that once so maybe it was the only time they did it. But, I don't drive by there every day nor at various times during the day - only on my way to work 3 days a week.

My question is simple: IS it a lasso? Doubtful...as it could also feed slack and free the horse. Could that rope tighten...do you KNOW it could? Or did they tie a bowline knot, or is it some sort of collar with rope tied on?

of course you can call the ASPCA if you feel that's the appropriate action. You know, we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    My question is simple: IS it a lasso? Doubtful...as it could also feed slack and free the horse. Could that rope tighten...do you KNOW it could? Or did they tie a bowline knot, or is it some sort of collar with rope tied on?

of course you can call the ASPCA if you feel that's the appropriate action. You know, we don't.
    Agreed. I use a lasso-style "neck rope" on my mare sometimes if I just need to move her from point A to point B in the arena or two adjoining pastures (ie, enclosed places). She HAS gotten loose, quite easily. So I'd imagine if that's truly how the horse is tied there, he would've been long gone by now.

It was definitely NOT some sort of collar. Looked like a standard lasso but of course they could have tied some sort of knot to prevent it from tightening around the horses neck. You are right.

Guess I should just MYOB and keep an eye on the horse to make sure it has water and is not too thin.

I am almost positive around here nothing will be done as long as the horse has access to water. I called many years ago on horses that you could count every rib from the road VERY easily. They were in a "pasture" that had no grass. I was told they had gotten a couple calls about those horses but since they were in a field and had water, that nothing could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    It was definitely NOT some sort of collar. Looked like a standard lasso but of course they could have tied some sort of knot to prevent it from tightening around the horses neck. You are right.

Guess I should just MYOB and keep an eye on the horse to make sure it has water and is not too thin.

I am almost positive around here nothing will be done as long as the horse has access to water. I called many years ago on horses that you could count every rib from the road VERY easily. They were in a "pasture" that had no grass. I was told since they were in a field and had water, that nothing could be done.
    If you're sure nothing can be done, then perhaps just be friendly to them. Bring them over a nice neck collar actually designed for horses, or a halter. Tell them the horse is cute (even if it isn't ) and you enjoy connecting with the other horsey people in the area, so if they ever need anything or are looking for an empty pasture to put the horse in, to give you a call/email. Attract more flies with honey kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Bring them over a nice neck collar actually designed for horses, or a halter.
    Good intentions, but I don't think this is sound advice. In the first place, generally speaking, do YOU welcome unsolicited advice on your horses or anything else? I know I generally do not. In the second place, if the horse is doing okay with what it's used to- rope around neck, in whatever form- it ain't broke, so don't suggest it should be fixed. If he's not used to a halter when tethered, THAT could cause problems, fatal ones.

I would still MYOB.

Believe me, I have no intention of offering any unsolicited advice. I have no idea who these people are and do you know how many people in rural Texas own guns???!!!! And no, I would not take kindly to someone I don't know showing up at my gate and suggesting I manage my horses differently.

I am going to MYOB (or MMOB) and just try to keep an eye on said horse to make sure it is in good weight and at least has water.

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    I have no idea who these people are and do you know how many people in rural Texas own guns???!!!!
    Yes, indeedy, I grew up there and that was part of my consideration- your wellbeing.

There is a certain etiquette, though, you know. The first shot is always high!