The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why won't they drink inside??

Ok, so my crew is out at night and in during the day. Buckets are emptied each night and scrubbed - filled in the am before they come in. Most of them won't touch the water inside but will drink the water outside like they haven't seen water in a week, when they go out at night. What gives???

All fields have mineral blocks next to double 110 gal troughs and all have some sort of salt lick in their stalls. Anyone else experience this??
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

A couple of mine do the opposite ... ...

Wont drink the water outside but gobble down the inside water instead. And thats even if I just scrubbed and re-filled the outside trough 10 minutes ago ...

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    A couple of mine do the opposite ... ...

Wont drink the water outside but gobble down the inside water instead. And thats even if I just scrubbed and re-filled the outside trough 10 minutes ago ...
    My horse is the same way! Won't TOUCH any bucket other than his automatic waterer in his stall. Doesn't matter if we've just jumped 4 courses in the blazing heat and the water bucket was just scrubbed and filled 5 minutes before- he won't drink outside! Of course when I put him right in his stall he guzzles like he hasn't had water in a week!

I guess it's just habit, or a preference for them?

When my horses do stupid shit like that, I just figure it's because they're jerks!

We have outside bigger, 6' and 8' water tanks with floats and drain and clean them every few months.
    When we have several clean, all the horses keep going to drink of the ones we have NOT cleaned yet.
    They will walk right by the clean ones and go over to the ones we still have not cleaned, even if we change the cleaning order.
    Guess that they like them better buggy and with blown in dirt.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Because they can.

The last 2 horses I had at home preferred to drink from the 50gal barrel kept in front of the barn.

In all weather.

Didn't matter they had nice heated buckets in their stalls when it was freezing out, they still emptied the one outside...that I had to refill bucket by bucket as I took the hose off the pump when it was below 40F.

When it was hot out they'd drink down nearly 1/2 the big barrel even when it filled up with grass dribblings and drowned bugs.
    Pristine buckets in their shaded stalls stayed largely untouched.

FF and the 2 I have now ignore the outside barrel and empty the buckets in their stalls daily.
    As they are out 24/7 this means they have to walk in from whatever pasture they have chosen for a drink....walking past the 50gal barrel.

Go
    Figure
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

It tastes better outside.
    Leastways that's what mine tell me...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

My horses drink very little in their stalls. To add insult to injury they prefer the crappy puddles out in the paddock to their clean fresh filled water tank.

I'm assuming you use the same water inside and out? Our horses prefer the outside water, but that's because it's a flowing stream as opposed to the well-water they get inside...
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

It seems the theme here is that the really clean buckets are ignored... so perhaps it's something you're using to clean them? Or the brushes or something? And it could be that they like the added taste from algae and stuff... gives it a little sumptin' sumptin'.

No, they drink out of the outside troughs right after they are scrubbed - with the same water & brushes that we use inside....
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.