The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Saddle-does one like this exist?

I am looking for a dressage saddle for my young horse. These are the specifics:

-Ride like a Roosli
    -Wide gullet-4 finger width
    -curved rear panel to avoid pressure on the lumbar area for a short back.
    -Shoulder freedom
    -Non restrictive seat that is not too deep.
    -Close contact, narrow twist like a Roosli.
    -Ability to accomodate a rider with a long thigh.
    -Extended stirrup bars.
    -Adjustable tree (by a saddler) to accomodate development of a young horse and that does not put pressure on the sides of the withers.

Does such a saddle exist???

I have no clue what a roosli is but a Passier Antares fits all the rest of the description.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

yes, your parameters exactly, the keith bryan santis. http://www.keithbryansaddlery.com/sa...ge-saddle.html

I owned one and kick myself repeatedly for selling it, I didn't know it was adjustable at the time, it would've been my forever saddle had i known, my horse adored it as did I.

Mr Bryan is possibly the nicest man on planet earth too, and I'm sure will extend your stirrup bars for you. His saddles are so reasonably priced new too.

tree is adjustable Custom Saddlery people.

fwiw, I prefer it to a roosli, but the ride is similar
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

ooh... that Santis is lovely... <drool>

Am I reading that you want something cheaper than a Roosli, since it's for a young horse?

The HDR Rivella actually looks to be a copy of the Santis.

A student of mine just got one (HDR) for many of the reasons you just mentioned. I sent her in that direction for the upswept panels and gullet width. It came in and she rode in it yesterday, I was VERY pleased with the fit, the cushy panels, etc.

She got the XL flap, as she has long legs. I like the cut of the flap.

I can't speak to how narrow the twist is, being a property of the tree you can't see... but the waist is on the narrow side. The seat is nicely open, and super well balanced. Excellent shoulder freedom according to the TB we tried it on, who really liked it.

The stirrup bars aren't set back too far, but are not as forward as many either.

Some of the other HDR models have different girthing arangements, there is one I really like that you can choose whether it is more like a point billet or not. The Buffalo and D-ring models are similar shape to the Rivella, the Paris is another creature entirely, and not what you are looking for.

The tree is adjustable a few cm either way. Not as much range as say a Passier or Prestige... but still, probably some 'growing room' with stuffing adjustments as well.

And coming in less than $1200 new/shipped, it's a good 'starter' for a young'un.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I'm having one made right now by Schleese, a customized Triumph, with shoulder relief panels, and cut under panel in back to fit my long shouldered short backed horses, and an extended stirrup bar and extra padded seat for me. Not a cheap saddle at all, but after 20 years of trying to find the right saddle, I sold 3 saddles, and also ponied up quite a bit of cash to get something that is a great fit for my horses and myself. I found such a difference when I rode in it, no more fighting for my position, and my horse really opened up and was able to swing her shoulder and back. Plus, it can be fitted throughout the years to accomodate changes in her back or it can be fitted to another horse.

If I'm still not reading it wrong... you don't want to spend the $$ on a Roo$li or you'd just get one...

It really might be worth a sit in the new Wintecs.

No, really.

Unless the horse is stupid wide, I'm really impressed with the fit, feel, balance...

WAY more than I expected to be.

Tekna is the other one I'm DYING to get my hands on. Tree shape looks even better to me, and tree is alterable by the mfg/seller... but I haven't actually sat in one yet.

I have sat in the new Wintecs. And was VERY disappointed they were not *quite* right for the horse I wanted it for.

I have a Roosli now and LOVE it! It is just a tad tight in the horse's shoulders and the gullet could be wider, It also needs to be wider at the top of the tree as well as down further where the points are. I checked out the website for the Santis and there is no information other than a picture. Are there any US dealers? Also, are there any stores that carry the HDR Rivella? I'd need to see pics of the seat, panels, gullet, etc. to see if it is what I'm looking for.

I would contact Mr Santis directly (he's excellent via email) and ask who his US dealers are, likely Custom Saddlery as they adjust his trees.

Here are some photos of mine, it was a "regular wide", they get wider. Again, had I know I could've adjusted it I never would've sold it, the photo on my horse is as he'd just out grown it... this was the first saddle he'd ever offered his back to me in, and we had real fdo, he loved it and went so well in it. (sniff sniff! I miss it):

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...s/IMG_3568.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...IMG_3562-1.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...s/IMG_2902.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...s/IMG_2910.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...s/IMG_3572.jpg

I don't know that the channel was 4", but it definitely was my whole fist easily, which clenched measures 3.25" wide.

eta: if the gullet photo makes it look narrow, trust me it is not, I think it measured 6" between the points inside the padding iirc. It was quite massive.
    Last edited by buck22; Aug. 13, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Adams Horse Supply has some of the best prices on the Rivella.

The SEF panels is what my student got.

Certainly in an entire 'nother ballpark than the Santis. ( )

The Roosli can't be adjusted?

I guess if you love the Roosli, and are willing to spend the $$, I'd try someone who is a dealer for them and trade for the right size/fit?

If you google though, you might find better views.

Gullet is very wide.

I can take specific shots of it next week if you're really interested.

I second the Schleese! I've done my research, and once I am back in the market for a saddle (need a horse first! ) I will do what I have to to get one of these saddles. Truly made for a woman's conformation, fully adjustable, and IMHO well worth the money!
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

I've had several Schleeses. I've had an Infinity and 2 Waves. The workmanship was beautiful, but still too much saddle. I always felt as if I was sitting above my horses back rather than in it. I've been told that the HK rides like a Roosli. Nope, according to a friend who has one. When I see it on his horse, the seat is way up off the horse's back. If Schleese made a saddle like the Roosli I'd go for it. I will check out the HDR. And, there is a store in Colorado that sells the Keith Bryan saddles. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but mr. Bryan did get back to me. Unfortunately, there was not much information on the shops website. Buck22, Thanks for the pictures. It looks almost identical to my Roosli. Do you know if the tree can be adjusted to be shaped like a hoop tree?

I had a Stachouse made and am quite pleased i thought I would prefer that the rise and twist were narrower, but after a few weeks, it is OK and only bothers me when I colapse in the core . I do wish the flaps were longer but, again, it is good when I am correct.

I have an old Harry Dabbs Cobra that fits the criteria. The HD Cobra was the pre-Jaguar. Oh, and mine is for sale...

my old schleese CHB feels like you are sitting IN the horse.. love that saddle to death and I have the extended bars on it as well. Unfortunately it doesn't have the wider gullet that you (or I) would need and it has full shoulder panels.

I do love the schleese as well and now ride in a wave that I like. Need to build up some income to get the extended bars on this one as well, but you're right, this one is more "above" the horse than "with" or "in" the horse, and I know its very similar to the beloved HK schleese as well.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Why not just buy a Roosli? They are a brand that isn't as well known and you can sometimes find them for short $$.

I bought mine in a wide tree and it's fit just about every horse I've ridden. Just as well because I ordered it from the factory to fit *me* and my impossibly long femurs.
    Last edited by Bogie; Aug. 16, 2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
    And, there is a store in Colorado that sells the Keith Bryan saddles. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but mr. Bryan did get back to me. Unfortunately, there was not much information on the shops website. Buck22, Thanks for the pictures. It looks almost identical to my Roosli. Do you know if the tree can be adjusted to be shaped like a hoop tree?
    I do not know if he makes a hoop version or if his trees adjust in that manner. Good for you to find a shop that represents the brand though, hopefully they might know more?

lol, his website has just had a massive improvement in the last year! lol!

I don't know your budget, but I LOVE my Giacomini/Lauriche for the majority of the specifications you posted. It doesn't have upswept panels, though you could have the foam replaced with wool and they could alter the panels to be more upswept.

They are pricey though. And I would check on the adjustment of the tree. I am thinking that JP told me it was possible, but I do not know for sure.

Oh wow, speaking of Giacomini's (not affiliated with this)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123