The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Online Sales Websites

I am interested to know: WHICH ONLINE SALES WEBSITES ARE THE MOST SUCCESSFUL AT SELLING [fill in the blank]?

I realize that this thread, in one form or another, has been scattered across the boards. However, I have yet to find a thread that addresses this topic generally (and consolidated).

Where is the best place to find horses below five figures? What about above? What about Broodmares? Ponies? OTTB? 4-H horses to AA - just what works for you and where.

(I did post this in the hunter/jumper forum because I am mostly interested to hear everyone's opinions as they relate to hunter/jumpers, but aside from that I leave it open.)

I'd say dreamhorse but you also can find some pretty crappy stuff on there as well. agdirect.com used to be my favorite but they changed it to a different site and now it sucks.

also, on those kind of sites you get a lot of tirekickers, people who just sit online and ask for photos and vids of horses that they have no intention of buying.
    Last edited by mustangsal85; Aug. 11, 2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: add on

That's a really good point.

I've gotten the impression that Dreamhorse has a very high volume - maybe (from what you're saying) not a lot of actual sale success though? Have you found both sights (Dreamhorse and Agdirect) to be useful for all types of horses, or certain types in particular?

I think dreamhorse has pretty good sale success. From a buyer's standpoint it has great "search-ability." I feel like their search criteria makes it easier to find what I want. I like equine.com as well.

I had never even heard of Agdirect.

I think Equine.com is very good. Not as many tire kickers as dreamhorse, but mainly people looking for horses under 10k. Warmbloods-for-sale.com is another good one. This one doesn't have as much traffic, but more serious buyers willing to spend more money.

I found my horse on equine.com, I really like their website. Dreamhorse is good too though... But I haven't heard of anyone that's actually bought/sold a horse through there...

I found one of my horses on equine.com and I've had some phone calls and try outs on my ponies from people who saw them on equine.com or bigeq.com

Dreamhorse.com, bigeq.com and Exchangehunterjumper.com for the high end hunters/jumpers

I've really only ever searched for h/j horses on dreamhorse and its nice because you can search pretty specifically. dont even bother with agdirect because like i said it has changed and its really not good anymore.

I have listed horses on equine.com, horsetopia, dreamhorse, warmbloods-for-sale.com, and bigeq. I think overall equine.com has, hands down, generated the most serious buyers. For higher end horse I like warmbloods-for-sale.com, bigeq, and equine.com (I would also highly recommend the exchange). Horsetopia has been fairly good with generating inquiries but not like equine.com. I seldom get any hits on dreamhorse and personally think the site looks dumpy. It has nice search features but doesn't have aesthetic appeal.

LoveMyHorse15 Guest

I would say the best are defenatly BigEq.com and Exchangehunterjumper.com they tend to have tons of nice horses/ponys but if you looking for lower quality i would say equine.com is the best to go to they have tons of great horses for sale on there that i have tons of friends you have sold horses through there.
    I dont think dreamhorse.com i good personally its hard to find anything on there...

Have bought three off dreamhorse.com.

Default Equine.com

Equine.com seems like a very popular choice. Has anyone had experience (positive or negative) with Equine.com's different packages? Specifically, has anyone used the "Guaranteed Ad"?

Guaranteed Ad
    Your horse sells or we'll refund every penny!
    The Best Deal Available:
    - 24 photos and 3 video links
    - Featured on our homepage! ($330 value!)
    - Appears above all other ads
    $99
    for 6 months

I found my horses through equine.

That guaranteed ad sounds like an awesome deal to me. Your horse will definitely get a lot of hits.
    Katie

Ive used equine.com to buy and sell a variety of horses.

All of their packages are generally well priced. Just grabbed a guaranteed to sell ad- we'll see how it goes.

I used to like Agdirect also...

I have used dreamhorse and equine in the past (all for TB's or warmbloods, mostly foal to five year old and all $12K or under) and I had no luck at all with equine. I had a lot of tirekickers (responses) with dreamhorse, and a few actual visits. A friend of mine just sold her horse ($7500) on dreamhorse.

We have a really good local (Northern California, Nevada) website that I've had the most luck with. I think all the ones I've sold have sold off that site. I bought three of my last four from the breeder, but the one that I didn't buy from the breeder came off the local site as well.

I really don't care for the search options on warmbloods-for-sale and bigeq seemed expensive to me to just try without knowing how much interest there'd be in prospects on it. Plus it seems mostly like an East Coast site... but I haven't checked it out in a while.

arabianhorses.org is where most of the people i know have advertised But it is pretty specific.. only arabians and half-arabians, and since that's what I like.. it works. (any age, discipline, price range etc. since it's linked to the online pedigree database, it's nice if you are looking for a particular bloodline, you can find the horses for sale from there too).