The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default please compare Point Two and Hits air vests

I'm not really asking whether or not you think air vests are good...I'd like to hear the pros and cons of the two main types. Thanks.

Hit Air is significantly cheaper ($400, while Point 2 is $680) and is also the original manufacturer of the air vests. They are a Japanese company than originally made the vests for motorcyclists. From what I've seen, the Hit Air vests are much closer fitted than the Point 2 vests. It seems that although the Hit Air vests were the original one on the market, Point 2 is much better at marketing and so they seem to be more popular. Point 2 also makes their vests in colors (for an extra $150), while Hit Air currently comes only in black. But I believe they too will do colors in the near future. Hit Air also has a kid's size on their website, and I don't believe that Point 2 does. Also, the Hit Air vest is quiter when activated than the Point 2. I've heard the Point 2 when my friend jumped off her horse and forgot to unclip, and it was pretty loud.
    Hit Air link: http://www.air-vest.com/ and
    Point 2:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=333380037
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/Point_Tw...ket_p/2078.htm

hit air also comes up for more neck support & lower to the tail bone.

Default Looking for the same info

Hoping more folks can weigh in on the differences. I am going through the process now of trying to decide which vest to buy.

I think bit of britain now carries them both and I am hoping if i go to the store i can try them both on inflated to try and make the decision.

Other difference i know of is the that the pointe 2 inflates a tenth of a second faster than the hit air.

Point Two inflates inward Hit Air outward, so doesn't feel so tight when it inflates
    The parent co for both vests is the same maufacturer
    Hit Air orginally designed for motorcycle crowd and was not marketed to equestrian
    Point two pretty popular with ULR as they gave them all vests and they pay some to endorse
    Hit Air somewhat quieter when it inflates, both make loud "pop" when the cannister is activated
    Quality pretty comparable, function pretty close to identical
    Hit Air somewhat cheaper

As deployment times are reported in tenths of a second, Point Two reportedly deploys in 0.1 - 0.2 sec, Hit Air in 0.7-0.8. What difference does half a second make? Drop to the ground from the height of your horse. How soon would you like your vest to deploy? Our rider is in a Point Two and unfortunately has tested the deployment times - glad she had the extra half second.
    With all due respect, I have to differ in opinion with the comparison of coverage of the Hit Air (being more extensive) and the Point Two. The Point Two doesn't give up coverage to the Hit Air.
    Colors a factor? Not in our decision making - the deployment time was the most significant consideration. ULRs in the Point Two? Not a decision swayer. The rest of the debate regarding prospective studies of either or both vests (and their as of yet undocumented/unstudied benefit) ---- this has been noted on this board over the past year and would not rehash again.

Quote Originally Posted by bonshaw View Post
    As deployment times are reported in tenths of a second, Point Two reportedly deploys in 0.1 - 0.2 sec, Hit Air in 0.7-0.8. What difference does half a second make? Drop to the ground from the height of your horse. How soon would you like your vest to deploy? Our rider is in a Point Two and unfortunately has tested the deployment times - glad she had the extra half second.
    With all due respect, I have to differ in opinion with the comparison of coverage of the Hit Air (being more extensive) and the Point Two. The Point Two doesn't give up coverage to the Hit Air.
    Colors a factor? Not in our decision making - the deployment time was the most significant consideration. ULRs in the Point Two? Not a decision swayer. The rest of the debate regarding prospective studies of either or both vests (and their as of yet undocumented/unstudied benefit) ---- this has been noted on this board over the past year and would not rehash again.
    YES, agree with everything stated above!

Yep, bonshaw is right on all counts.

The Point Two has better neck and coccyx coverage, and it deploys a lot faster. Also, you WANT some room with the air vests...they shouldn't be tight prior to deploying. (At Surefire there was a rider whose Hit-Air vest failed when she fell at the water jump. I don't know what happened, but seeing it first hand made me glad I didn't have one!)

I was really happy with the level of expertise among Point Two's reps at Blenheim last year, and comforted by the fact that most big names in England had been riding in them for some time before I decided to get mine. It may sound weird, but it would have worried me to buy from a Japanese company whose old website was riddled with poor grammar and totally nonsensical statements (it's since been updated). Point Two as a company is well known in England and they've been really easy to reach and responsive to questions. When you're making that big of an investment, good customer service is really crucial in my mind.

Yes, the Point Two is more expensive, but I think, as with many other things, you get what you pay for.

I have chosen the Hit-Air vest over the Point Two vest.

Point Two IMPLODES (hence the need for a looser fit) whereas Hit-Air Explodes. I prefer the exploding. There has been a lot of discussion on the imploding of the Point Two against the body - additional pressure against the torso and all the organs worries me. Hit-Air deploys in .25 seconds - not .7-.8seconds as noted above (per Hit-Air website).

Hit-Air is not as bulky but provides the same coverage (as I have found). Additionally, when you ride in it, you don't feel as if it is on. The nick and butt/tailbone protection is conveniently rolled against the body protector and immediately releases upon air pressure (doesn't take much as I tried the demo model with an air pump). As I watch riders in their Point Two vests, I see them literally sitting on the tail portion, or the tail portion getting stuck on the cantle of the saddle. I rode XC in the Hit-Air for the first time at Millbrook - I was never once distracted by it. It is very light weight and breathable.

The 'neck protection' factor is a moot point as neither vest can offer any, except perhaps if you're looking for protection against bug bites.

For neck protection to protect you from riding-related neck injuries, you'd need a rigid device, like the HANS device that drivers use in motorsports. This has been discussed ad nauseum on this BB already. I'm not looking for more discussion, just sending out a reminder that there's no point in making 'neck protection' a criteria to choose between these two garments.

Any neck-related features on an air jacket are purely a fashion statement.

Carry on.

As a side note, Point Two is making a $50 contribution to the USEA Areas for each vest sold. You must put in a code for your area.

The code:
    Aug2010p201 for Area 1
    Aug2010p202 for Area 2
    Aug2010p208 for Area 8 and so forth.

Are either of them safe if you are riding without a vest, such as while schooling? Has anyone tried deploying one or fallen off while not wearing a vest?

I started a thread on this a few months ago. I decided to go with the Point Two after talking to MANY people. Everyone has their own opinion. I saw both in person and I feel like the Point Two covers better than the Hit Air. I also was swayed to the Point Two because of the faster deployment time. I do not like that it looks like I am wearing a garbage bag, even if it is a navy garbage bag. But if it helps keep me out of the hospital then I will wear it.
    I have worn both vests without a safety vest and had them deployed in a demonstration. Neither one hurt or caused me discomfort. I think you need to make sure both are fitted correctly according to instructions (not too tight with the Point Two) and be careful how you secure your pinney on top if them. After that it is personal preference I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by advmom View Post
    Point Two inflates inward Hit Air outward,
    How do they control which way the air expands?