The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Calling all NC riders from the Triangle.

This is a 2 part post, and a bit long, but I am trying to get as much information as possible to help with future relocation. Any input is appreciated!

Part 1: We are seriously contemplating a move to North Carolina (specifically the Triangle area), and as part of my area research, I am trying to get a list together of Hunter/Jumper, boarding/training barns that show in both local & 'A' shows, and cater to both adults and kids. Below is the list I have compiled so far. If you know of any barns that I have left out, can you please let me know.

Part 2: If you live in the Triangle, I would love to hear from you, regarding what area you live in and how long your commute is to where you ride. Trainers, where do the majority of your clients live?
    On our initial visit, we really liked the N. Raleigh neighborhoods (N. of 540), and thought the N. Durham horse country was beautiful, but it was a bit too far away from "everyday necessities" (probably part of it's charm to some). Area schools will also come into play.
    My current barn has always been a large part of my social scene, which is why I would love to be able to find a barn that is not only close to where we would live, but also where our friends (fellow riders) live.
    Any input you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. If you would prefer to PM me, that's fine too.

Raleigh:

Paramount Show Stables
    McNairs Country Acres
    Southern Oak Equestrian Center

Cary:
    Chadale Farms

Apex:
    Apex Equestrian Center
    Buckhorn Farm Eq Center
    Chapel Ridge Farm
    Finally Farm
    Oak Ridge Farm

Hillsborough:
    Over the Top Farm
    Echo Creek Riding Academy

Creedmoor:
    Seaborne Farm

Durham:
    DK-USA Sporthorse

Chapel Hill:

Rougemont:
    Equiventure Farm

Bahama:
    Fox View Farm

Wake Forest:
    Wakefield Hunter Jumper

Franklinton:
    Bridlewood Farm
    www.FLSportHorse.com - Free Classifieds for Florida Horses & Ponies.
    Ridge Point Stables - Hunter/Jumper show barn in Central Florida
    http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/p.../HunterJumperz

I'm an eventer, so don't know a whole lot about the H/J scene. I do ride on a regular basis with Melissa at Paramount, and LOVE her! She is great! I just haul in for my lessons in the evenings so I don't see much of the 'barn community' though. There are a lot of shows around, some rated, some not. There are several throughout the year at the fairgrounds that are rated. You may want to go to the NC Hunter Jumper Association for more information on competitions and barns.

It's a fun area though! I live on the east side of town, and travel all over to teach -- the horse industry around here is really interesting and widespread. Welcome!

[QUOTE=HunterJumperz;5029426]
    On our initial visit, we really liked the N. Raleigh neighborhoods (N. of 540), and thought the N. Durham horse country was beautiful, but it was a bit too far away from "everyday necessities" (probably part of it's charm to some). Area schools will also come into play.[QUOTE]

My place is on Mt. Vernon Church Rd, which is in the area where you are looking for a house (Off Creedmoor Rd/Hwy 50 between 540 and 98). We keep our horses at home, so I can only provide a little feedback about area barns:

The closest barn the that area doing the A shows is probably Paramount. We have hauled in for jumping lessons with Melissa and the farm is very convenient, just off 540. The facility is very nice and worth a visit. I believe she coaches both adult and junior riders.

Southern Oak is very close to my place, but I'm afraid I don't know much about it other than they seem to cater to the younger lesson crowd. They do H/J local shows, but I'm not sure about the A's. They must have a number of lesson horses available because some of my daughter's high school friends take lessons there and do not own horses.

There is a nice adults-only barn next to me that may have a stall open. The facility is only about 10 stalls, so it might not provide the social environment you would like. Send me a PM if you want details.

Welcome! & feel free to PM if you need any info about the area

Cheryl
    It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys show up.

http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/profile/fallbrook

I have lived here all my life only going away for college and the closer you get to Raleigh the more money your going to have to dish out for boarding/training. Right now I commute 30 min to see my horse in Holly Springs which is fine. 30 min is going to be the average travel time to anywhere where the boarding prices are decent.

Good luck in your search!

Check out nchorsenews.com for the local community!

hunter jumper association is a great org too!!

**Oh and I pay $425 full board right now. the website is www.dedebushneck.com
    Last edited by JWUEquine1998; Aug. 20, 2010 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Fallbrook-- sent you a PM

Do you have a boarding budget? I know that one of the barns on your list has a base boarding price of 750.00 and you are required to take four lessons per month...then bumping you to 900.00 and that's not adding in any extra "ala carte" items such as blanketing.

I've heard wonderful things about Yumawarree in Apex....Okay, guys, help me out...because I know that is grossly misspelled.

I live in N. Raleigh...right below 540. I actually commute out to Rougemont for the horses. It's a 50 minute commute.

There is also Greystone which is North of Wake Forest (in Granville Co), don't know alot about it.

Another great source is to talk to the folks at Triangle Horse Sports. The owners both rode the hunter/jumper scene for a very long time.

Also....if you could PM me the number of horses that you have.. There is a very nice farm in this area that isn't offically open, but the owner said he would open it if he could get 10 boarders. Right now, we only have a possible 7. And I'm not sure if I could personally do it with three horses, depends on what he decides to charge for board....would be somewhere in the 6-650 range. Does have an indoor. NICE barn!

dalpal--we aren't in NC yet, and have a while before we can actually make the move. Just trying to get as much information as I can.

When we do come, I will have one horse for sure. My daughter may possibly have a pony as well. Boarding budget is probably going to be around 600/per horse-not including lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterJumperz View Post
    dalpal--we aren't in NC yet, and have a while before we can actually make the move. Just trying to get as much information as I can.

When we do come, I will have one horse for sure. My daughter may possibly have a pony as well. Boarding budget is probably going to be around 600/per horse-not including lessons.
    Sadly enough the 600.00 takes at least three of those barns out of your price range.

Oak Ridge is closing it's doors. Sad, because it was a very nice, well run barn.

I think very highly of Lesley Jenks at Finally Farm. I would board my horses with her if I were a hunter/jumper person and that is saying alot...because I am very particular. She is somewhere between 5-600 range.

I've lived up in Creedmoor for five years and event in NC. I know the Hills, who run Seaborne Farm, they do a lot of showing on the rated hunter circuit, one of the girls who boards with us rides and shows for them. Lauren, the daughter who teaches (her mom, Denise, does the breeding end, they breed Connemaras and ConnieXs, make some very nice horses) is young, but nice and seems to have some successful students. Our co-boarder is winning hunters and eq at the big Raleigh shows, so they must be good at something. I know they have some pretty crowded pastures at their farm, not sure what your boarding priorities are, and I don't know what their prices are.

I've gone to several of Lesley Jenks shows at Finally Farm, which she leases. She's super nice and runs a great show. The farm itself is not what I would consider "A circuit looking" (not something I care about but some hunter people do) if that is the type of place you want, but Lesley is very professional and easy to talk to.

Wakefield is a very expensive, "showy" type of place, but the horses don't get much turnout. We just got a boarder in from there, her poor horse (a VERY expensive 4' Eq horse) was half-neurotic from being stuck in a stall all the time and has relaxed and turned into a lovely chap with 24/7 turnout.

Southern Oaks is not my cup of tea -- pastures are very overgrazed and over crowded with horses and facilities are a little run down.

MacNairs is very nice, they do a great series of CT shows, as well as lots of dressage and hunters, I showed there a couple of times, it's a lovely place with an exquisite facility and resources. It's about an hour from me in Creedmoor though, I don't go there very often.

Equiventure is part of Quail Roost Farm out in Rougemont. Huge, beautiful place, we used to go to their hunter paces. They have a phenomenal XC schooling field as well. I confess I had a couple bad encounters with folks out there looking down their noses at us and being quite rude, so it left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but I have not spent a ton of time there, so I cannot speak for the overall boarding experience.

I love living in Creedmoor -- but I hate cities and I am not particularly fond of people. The major commute in Raleigh is to RTP, so all roads leading there are hell during rush hour. I board at a private farm 2 miles from my house, so personally, I stay in my little Creedmoor bubble of small town happiness unless something drags me kicking and screaming into Raleigh yuppie pit of doom. To get from Creedmoor to 540 takes about 15 minutes, FYI.

Wildlifer--I appreciate your comments.

As far as an "A show looking" barn - that in not a big criteria for me. Proper horse care and knowledgeable staff are #1 in my book.

A hunter/jumper barn is where we are now (and couldn't be happier), and I am just assuming that my daughter will continue to go down the hunter path when we move. With the amount of times she watches the movie, The Little Horse That Could and reenacts the scenes around our family room and in the pool, it makes me wonder if she might end up to be an eventer later in life! I guess time will tell.

I've been at Finally Farm for over a year now, and would be longer if I hadn't bought a place. As far as I know, it's the least expensive place closest to Raleigh (definitely not Apex, only a few miles from Macnairs). Lesley feeds great quality feed and hay, and takes excellent care of the horses (and i'm picky!). If you're looking for the giant barn atmosphere (a la Macnairs), it's not the right place. She has 10 stalls, and a close knit group of sane, normal boarders (thank god). I don't know if she's planning on running more shows next year, but even before I boarded with her, I came to them because they were very well run.

I currently live on the Raleigh/Knightdale border, aka the cheap side of town. North and west of Raleigh are going to be pricier, where south and east are less expensive. If you're commuting, i'd vote to stick to either side of 40, US-1 south, or 264 east. You may be going more with the flow of traffic, but they're big roads with no stoplights. US-1 north, 401 N + S are the opposite. Of course, you shouldn't take traffic advice from someone who works at night and travels opposite of all the crazy daytime people.

If you are considering some of the ones in Apex, there is a barn just over Jordan Lake that I visited once (not too awful far from Chapel Ridge, maybe 10-15 more minutes). I believe it is called Jordan Lake Farm. It is a beautiful facility, the board is around 550 I think. I don't know who runs it, but they had some great looking jumps in a fabulous arena. I will see if I can dig up the info for the barn. It may be on the NC HorseNews website too.

As for schools, you need to look closely at what Wake County has in plan for the upcoming year(S). It seems their districts are always in a state of change. I live in Chatham County, which is right next door, not too far from some of the barns you mention in Apex. Chatham county schools are okay, and they are not yet anyway in the state of change that Wake is. There are also a couple of good charter schools in the Chatham County area as well.

I live in NW Chatham, so we are approx. 15 mins. from anywhere in the triangle--Chapel Hill, Apex, Pittsboro, Cary and Raleigh is about a 30-40 min. drive from us. If you work in the triangle, it is about the same 15-20 min. drive, depending on the traffic. Best of luck and feel free to pm me if you have any questions about this particular area (Apex/Chapel Hill). I have lived here for quite a while.

One last thing...WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GMan View Post
    If you are considering some of the ones in Apex, there is a barn just over Jordan Lake that I visited once (not too awful far from Chapel Ridge, maybe 10-15 more minutes). I believe it is called Jordan Lake Farm. It is a beautiful facility, the board is around 550 I think. I don't know who runs it, but they had some great looking jumps in a fabulous arena. I will see if I can dig up the info for the barn. It may be on the NC HorseNews website too.

As for schools, you need to look closely at what Wake County has in plan for the upcoming year(S). It seems their districts are always in a state of change. I live in Chatham County, which is right next door, not too far from some of the barns you mention in Apex. Chatham county schools are okay, and they are not yet anyway in the state of change that Wake is. There are also a couple of good charter schools in the Chatham County area as well.

I live in NW Chatham, so we are approx. 15 mins. from anywhere in the triangle--Chapel Hill, Apex, Pittsboro, Cary and Raleigh is about a 30-40 min. drive from us. If you work in the triangle, it is about the same 15-20 min. drive, depending on the traffic. Best of luck and feel free to pm me if you have any questions about this particular area (Apex/Chapel Hill). I have lived here for quite a while.

One last thing...WELCOME
    I think you are thinking of Jordan Lake Equestrian Center. Last time I checked, that place was being leased by a Morgan owner. Not sure what's up with it now.

Yes that is the place. I looked into the beginning of last summer and it was still a H/J place.

I'm loving all the replies! If you could see me, I have a map with all the places marked on it. It's helpful to see where they are and your feedback on the area helps a bunch as well!

Commuting into Raleigh isn't going to be an issue for us, so that's out of the equation. From what we initially saw, the N. Raleigh and Wake Forest area has caught our eye-neighborhood wise, and it's proximity to "everyday" shopping, yet a hop, skip & jump to "nicer" shopping. If I could combine the conveniences of those two areas with the beauty of N. Durham and Orange County, I would be all set. We have other criteria as well, but I don't want to take this thread past horse related. There is still so much we haven't seen in the area...maybe it's around there???

We actually drove by Equiventure when we visited. Loved it. Commute time from where we eventually end up will determine if that place will be in the running for us.

Default welcome to NC (early)

in Fuquay Varina

Pepperwood Farm (highly recommend them ) they do A LOT of hunters and jumpers and some dressage. Have a very nice facility, covered arena, etc.
    The barn manager is super sweet as well.
    "Because right now, this is a job. If I advance any higher, this would be my career. And if this were my career, I'd have to throw myself in front of a train."
    Jim Halpert

Default JLEC

JLEC is being leased but there are H/J's, eventer's, dressage folk and everything in between boarding there. They allow outside instructors, and are VERY reasonable ($475 I think). Great crowd with BBQ get togethers and just all around friendly people. VERY horse friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GMan View Post
    Yes that is the place. I looked into the beginning of last summer and it was still a H/J place.
    She had it for lease last year and last I spoke with her, she had someone leasing it with Morgans.

Have you thought about Triton Show Stables? I haven't been contact with them for years, but they have recently moved to a brand new facility in Durham county. I can't give you an opinion either way, but it may be something to look into...

Creedmoor: Sapphire Farm & River Wind Farm

Eleanor