The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Working student -- do ANY of them allow dogs? :(

I've been seriously looking into becoming a working student, but have a small issue -- I have a dog. It seems that most, if not all, working student positions do NOT allow you to bring pets of any kind. I totally understand this, I'm just pretty bummed about it. I know I have people who would care for my dog for me if I do choose to go as a working student, but it's a pretty big damper on the idea. I realize I could choose to live in an apartment elsewhere and keep my dog there, but that pretty much defeats half of the benefits of being a working student (included room).

Has anyone had/know of anyone who's had success with bringing along a dog for a working student position?
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

When I was a working student, I was allowed to bring my dog (I actually brought everybody! Two cats and the horse and dog). If we were ever able to have working students again, I would certainly allow them to bring their pets.

Here's my feeling on it. Often times, WS are kids or very young adults who may very well be away from home for the first time or away from everything and everyone familiar. It's HARD and often lonely and sometimes trying. I think being allowed to have your dog with you makes the tough parts a lot easier. Sometimes a good snuggle or a cry in their fur makes us feel better, and I'm not wild about people, especially young people, not having that comfort.

I know a lot of people feel that a horse farm is a place for horses, but there's got to be ways around it. The dog doesn't HAVE to come down to the barn (I know that that's the case in some places...dogs are allowed, but they stay where the WS live). It's just nice to know you've got that friend waiting when you get done. I also kinda get the whole "the dog might trash the living situation"...however, I've seen some of the so called "living" arrangements offered...a dog's not going to make them much worse.

Granted, I am a RIDICULOUS dog lover...they are on the same level as my horses. I get your frustration.

Jim Graham welcomes dogs.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

That was a big issue I ran into while looking for positions. My dog cannot be away from me for more than a few days at a time, she refuses to eat or go outside if I'm gone for more than a couple days.

I'm also a smoker, even though I'd leave the property for my nasty habit, many don't want me to live in because of it.

Plenty of places will let you bring a dog, it's all about searching. I myself have decided a WS position may not work for me because of my habit, not my dog.
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

I know Buck allows dogs.

I know that Jim Graham allows dogs. I don't know about Phillip Dutton but I think one of the girls that is out there right now from Oklahoma has her dog with her.

Good luck. They are out there.

Bobbi

I have known working students at Dutton's and Boyd's that have had dogs, however, those policies may have changed. I have usually been under the impression that most trainers DO allow dogs so long as they are well behaved. I suppose it might have a lot to do with housing, though.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I believe one of Kyle Carter's working students had dogs.

I'm moving to the Netherlands for a working student position (leaving tomorrow actually) and both me and my new roommate are bringing dogs. Trainer sounded more resigned than excited about the idea, but he said as long as the dogs behave, he doesn't mind.

I would just suggest asking around. Positions that allow dogs do exist!
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Thanks for all the responses! My dog is very well behaved-- friendly, well socialized, great around the horses, and very smart, so at least I'm in a good place as far as that goes! I guess I just have to look harder and inquire further. Thanks for making me more optimistic about finding a place!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Holly Hudspeth allows dogs, one tried to bite me a few weeks ago... LOL
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Missy Ransehousen allows dogs. We have a gang of big dogs and a gang of little dogs
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!