The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shopping at WEG?

So after much discussion ticket prices,hotel prices,etc...,do you have any money budgeted for shopping?

What are you going to be looking for?

Anyone planning to go to the events planned in downtown Lexington?
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Default Probably no bargains to be had.

Keep in mind that, at the last count, the 2010 WEG Organizing Committee has only sold half the trade vendor booth space they had forecast. The cost of that space is as highly inflated as everything else about WEG. The British Equestrian Trade Association decided not to bring a bunch of British vendors to WEG but to spend their money elsewhere.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

Unless we find a good deal on a hotel we won't be going. The Va Equine extravaganza is a few weeks later and I will spend my money there.

I want a pair of Dubarry or Dublin River boots but because I have large calves I need to try them on

Also want to get my Equissentials altered
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Here is the interactive map of WEG exhibtors. (Click the pull-down to switch from Village to Pavilion)

Here are the exhibitors for the International Equestrian Festival downtown.

... and here is the Georgetown Equine Expo list.

Default I'm just hoping

I'm just hoping some has full seat schooling breeches. I really prefer to try them on before I buy.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Anyone else a bit surprised/concerned that the HSUS has a booth at WEG? Aren't they pretty much against everything there or am I confusing them with someone else?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Who or what is Bob Miklers?

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    http://www.bobmicklers.com/
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    http://www.bobmicklers.com/

or http://tinyurl.com/2ers2a7

Ahh. Thanks.

They must expect to sell lots of stuff, given the number of booths they have there.

And they're looking for employees for WEG!

Quote Originally Posted by mares tails View Post
    Here is the interactive map of WEG exhibtors. (Click the pull-down to switch from Village to Pavilion)

Here are the exhibitors for the International Equestrian Festival downtown.

... and here is the Georgetown Equine Expo list.
    Thanks for this!

I'm hoping more boot makers sign up for WEG. I was planning to price and get measured for custom boots while I was there, but so far only Der Dau is listed as an exhibitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
    Thanks for this!

I'm hoping more boot makers sign up for WEG. I was planning to price and get measured for custom boots while I was there, but so far only Der Dau is listed as an exhibitor.
    I was measured by DerDau at an expo several years ago. The boots are beautiful. They arrived a few days after I broke my ankle though
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I was measured by DerDau at an expo several years ago. The boots are beautiful. They arrived a few days after I broke my ankle though
    Unfortunately I tried to order Der Daus this past winter and went through Dover and it was a minor disaster. The boots did not fit right and the quality was poor. I ended up getting my money back. I really think it is that my calves are so large and oddly shaped that the boot maker needs to see them. I don't blame Dover or Der Dau, it just didn't work out. But I'm willing to stop at their booth and see if they think they can make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
    Unfortunately I tried to order Der Daus this past winter and went through Dover and it was a minor disaster. The boots did not fit right and the quality was poor. I ended up getting my money back. I really think it is that my calves are so large and oddly shaped that the boot maker needs to see them. I don't blame Dover or Der Dau, it just didn't work out. But I'm willing to stop at their booth and see if they think they can make it right.

I first had my measurements done at a local store and got two or 3 pairs that I couldn't zip. DerDau and the tack store were going to be at the expo so I asked to have them measure me there. They did and determined that I have a "low calf" and when I got them the right boot did indeed fit perfectly.

It took over a year unfortunately to be able to wear the left boot
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I first had my measurements done at a local store and got two or 3 pairs that I couldn't zip. DerDau and the tack store were going to be at the expo so I asked to have them measure me there. They did and determined that I have a "low calf" and when I got them the right boot did indeed fit perfectly.

It took over a year unfortunately to be able to wear the left boot
    Bummer about your ankle! But good to hear that after being measured at the expo you got a perfect fit. I hope I have the same luck!

I know my local tack shop won't be there (Wise Choice in Lexington). Sounds like fees WEG is charging the vendors were way too high for them. I would think that most of the merchandise will have to be very overpriced for the vendors to make any money. I think I would make a trip to a local tack shop!

Bob Mickler's seems to carry mostly Ariat and Barbour (those are the biggies I noticed in the shop). The do have a nice selection. I prefer Wise Choice Tack and Trailer for an all around tack shop.

I heard that booths fees are up to $15K per booth... that is quite high!

$15,000. was the base price for a booth.I pulled out last fall.I just couldn't afford it.I'd love to be there.I would love to have the opportunity to show my art to such a diverse group of horse lovers,but the length of the show and the additional cost made my mind up for me.

I don't believe anyone will be raising their prices to cover costs.I also don't believe there will be any rocking deals.

What I love about shopping at these venues is being able to compare things like saddles.My first World Cup I must have sat in every saddle there.

I do hope that everyone who goes to this event does go shopping.I have friends who will be exhibiting and I want them to do well.It would be a shame if the trip is so costly that people don't feel like they can afford to shop.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

I hope vendors won't be raising prices. I'm not expecting to find any screaming deals comparable to a discount website or eBay. The benefit of trade shows is having a ton of choice and you can put your hand on things and see them in person. Hopefully the prices will be fair and the vendors will be able to recoup their costs.

It's a shame that the cost to potential vendors is so high. I think it would have been an excellent venue for many of the European vendors to display their items. As someone who's never been to Europe, it would have been very interesting to see what they have to offer.