The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Will be in Germany in September...

And would like to go visit some of the stud farms - any suggestions? Who should I contact? There are quite a few Holsteiner stallions that I would like to see - is contacting the Verband the best route? I am particularly interested in famous jumper sires but any of the 'big name' sires would be great to see. I'm very excited about the trip - really it's a non-equine trip but I can not possibly go to Germany without viewing the horses! Any tips from those that have made the trip? Thanks

The verband are usually very welcoming if they aren't putting on some sale or display or inspection etc.

You can just turn up, but even better to give them a quick call and make sure the timing works. At the stallion station at Elmshorn you can usually expect to see Cassini I & II, Corrado I (II is somewhere around, but not usually at Elmshorn), old man Caretino, Lasino etc. There are probably not fewer than 25-30 boys there.

They are usually extremely accommodating, but it is a working barn (yes, you may be able to watch some of them work) and so for a private visit be ready to respect the space of the staff as the moment seems to require.

It would be an experience you would remember and enjoy. You can find the Verband # on their website:

holsteiner-verband.de

We visited the verband and they were fabulous! Lots of eye candy there too!

We also did Celle and a few of the more private stud farms. Not much was at Celle at the time, but still a neat place to see. They directed us to some of the local (and not so local) farms where some of the stallions were stationed at the time. A good resource if you are into Hanoverians as well.

I second both and would also suggest visiting a local horse-show or even one of the bigger shows. You can find some within your proximity at any given weekend in September
    Have fun!

Leaving tonight, if anyone has any last minute event happenings let me know! Very excited, minus the whole plane ride thing....