The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ? re stallions for GOV folks

Want to make sure I understand something. A stallion approved by the actual verband is automatically approved for OBS, but not vise versa. Right???
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

OHBS *is* the Oldenburg Verband in North America.

Stallions approved by OHBS/GOV are considered approved for Oldenburg breeding in Germany.

And stallions approved for Oldenburg breeding in Germany are considered approved by OHBS/GOV.

Thanks DY.

I had a conversation with one of the German inspectors yesterday regarding stallion approval and I think a bit got lost in the translation, so that's why I was clarifying.

I also looked at both Stallion Rosters last night and while there are a number of German-based stallions on the NA roster, I didn't see any NA on the German. So that is strictly a marketing issue, not a restriction?

I really enjoyed chatting with her. And it was a treat to have a few minutes after the inspection to let Cyriz strut his stuff for her and Bastian.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

You would need to double-check with the office about the status of any specific stallion, but I have been told repeatedly that if a stallion is fully approved here by OHBS/GOV, he can also sire Oldenburg registered foals in Germany. This reciprocity is one of the reasons why OHBS/GOV cannot accept the results of the ISR 10-day test (or the previous 30-day test) for full approval. Those tests are not accepted in Germany, and a stallion over the age of 6 that has completed only the 10-day or 30-day test could not breed for Oldenburg in Germany (unless he has otherwise met the full performance requirements via competition). A stallion that has successfully completed a RECOGNIZED 70 DT or 100 DT would be okay.