The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It finally happened :) *broke drs orders for more photos*

It took me many months to decide for sure what I wanted to do for myself, but I knew a change was needed. I've always loved Kentucky and began leaning towards that direction around December of 2009. Things continued to fall in and out of place pretty much since the thought crossed my mind originally over christmas break. I am a sophomore in college and was just nervous making my first move away to be so far. But, with the help of a very supportive boyfriend and family, I decided to just take the plunge and go for it despite some setbacks.

I planned to chase after a career in the racing industry here as that is really what I enjoy most. I am attending University of KY in Lexington so I planned to at the very least be galloping somewhere here in Lexington. However, I hurt my hip pretty back a few weeks ago and will be out of it for a while. A major set back in my eyes, but still I was pushed to go and make it work.

Well it is all settled now. I have an apartment, my class schedule, and a feel for "life" here which is much different than my life back home in PA. But things got a little more real this week. My horse was shipped down to be here with me.

It just kind of made things all come to place for me. He does such wonderful things for my mindset and I am so thrilled to have him here with me. Although it is killing me to not ride him, I have a lovely boyfriend who knows him well and is more than willing to keep him going so he doesn't just sit, and I am looking for a lease as well. He arrived at his new farm on Sunday. Much to my surprise it was like he has been here for ever. He shipped great, he unloaded and before I could get the stall guard up he was munching on his hay. He wasn't the least bit stressed. Within 15min of arriving he had his dinner and we put him out in his temporary paddock. Again, before I could get the gate shut he was munching away on the gorgeous grass. no frolicking, no nonsense. It was shocking but made me proud.

And even today he is still the same man So he is down here now, and I move down for good the 20th! Despite some bad boarding experiences in the past, I am just thrilled at the farm I found for him here and have not a single worry about leaving him here while I wait to move myself down.

I am just so excited to start a whole new chapter in my life here. There really is no point to this thread other than a little shameless brag for both myself and Tommy. I hope you guys don't mind

Here are some photos we took today for your entertainment
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=63ef7e07e7

*my apologies for the facebook link. The wifi in this hotel is god awful and after nearly 2 1/2 hours of uploading to just get them on facebook, I cannot attempt it for any other site, its killing my battery. I will get them up when I get back home on Wednesday*
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Sounds like a great adventure your are about to begin! Beautiful pictures. Didn't look at them all but love the ones with Tommy and the cat. Looks beautiful place.

P.

I, too, am taking the kentucky plunge. After 5 (way too fun) years in the lovely city of chicago, I'm leaving my parents (who I spent 9 years away from on the west coast) and beau of 4 years to take back up in true horse country.

I'm petrified and know a challenging road lies ahead, but I also know in the long run it's the right decision.

Move date = December 1st . . . I might be looking you up!
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

I too am thinking about making the move to Kentucky after graduation. I don't know if I'll be able to find a job up here so Kentucky is definitely my first choice after here It's nice to hear other people doing it I'll be coming from OH if I move.

Pictures are gorgeous! I love the ones with the cat! And what a beautiful time of day to take pictures, looks gorgeous!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Gorgeous pictures of you and your horse! Good luck you sound way more grounded than I was at your age!! No doubt you'll do great!

I moved down here 2 years ago and I LOVE it! You will have a great time, it is a pretty cool city. Very horsey with plenty of other things to do for when the non-horsey visit.

Your horse is lovely! Just out of curiosity, is this the horse that starred in the Winston/Tommy saga or am I thinking of another poster?

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    I moved down here 2 years ago and I LOVE it! You will have a great time, it is a pretty cool city. Very horsey with plenty of other things to do for when the non-horsey visit.

Your horse is lovely! Just out of curiosity, is this the horse that starred in the Winston/Tommy saga or am I thinking of another poster?

Ah gosh Yes that is him. Tommy ... He has always been that to me. We havent had any issues with that in a while, and we are in a totally different environment in every way now.. we don't show, we are both in KY now. Hopefully that issue stays in the past.

Thanks everyone... and do feel free to contact me when/if you guys move down! Im not planning on leaving anytime soon

Congrats! You all look so happy. I'm glad you captured that great day on film.

And that's a fine lookin' cat. I have one that could be its sister.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Congrats!! I'm not sure who looks happier in these pictures!! Wishing you all the best!
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Thanks guys! I'm so happy you like these! There are more added of my boyfriend riding him at the end of the album. And I got on him today so I have photos of that to add too! I'm currently in the car in west virginia 6hours out still. They will be up tomorrow

Have a wonderful time in Lexington! It is a fantastic town and you will love your college years there.

If you are not riding now and want to get back into it and get contacts in the racing world, you are the exact type of person that farms are looking for to break yearlings, starting in October. Thousands of yearlings are broken in Lex. between Oct and Jan each year.

Just a thought if you won't be ready to gallop for a while, or if you need to make contacts in the TB world who can get you in with good trainers.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

lovely photos. Best of luck to you in the pursuit of your dreams...you are a refreshing young woman!

Good luck!! You sound like you have a very big adventure ahead of you! I've been to Kentucky but not to the Louisville area, it's definitely on my list!

I moved the Lexington area a little over a year ago and have being loving it here since! Can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else!

Default Welcome

Wecome to Kentucky! Dance and I met through COTH here in Central KY. We'll have to arrange to meet some others soon.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    Wecome to Kentucky! Dance and I met through COTH here in Central KY. We'll have to arrange to meet some others soon.
    Sounds like a great plan to me!!

Default update

Quote Originally Posted by Dance_To_Oblivion View Post
    Sounds like a great plan to me!!
    Definitely! I will be there permanently on Friday

In the mean time .. I did break Doctors orders and I rode myself the day I left. I know it will be some time before I am "allowed" to ride so I just needed to get on myself one last time. It hurt quite a bit but no more harm done afterwards. Still walking with a no worse of a limp at 19

I have some photos of the ride at the end of the album
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=63ef7e07e7

*still working on a non-facebook albums. just having trouble getting them to upload

WELCOME TO KENTUCKY!!!!!!!! I have lived in Lexington for the past 8 yrs....wow time has flown! My parents moved here after I graduated high school for my dad's job and I went to Midway & UK. I just moved back after living in Europe for a year studying for my Masters. I sorely missed Lexington...even though I am Dutch by nationality.

Maybe all the Lexington Cothers can do a meet up some where? It would be fun! :-)

Lexington is a very fun place and there is always a lot going on. Schools about to start at UK and it will be very busy downtown which is always fun :-) Plus you moved down just in time for WEG!!! Good luck and have fun!
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Lovely photos - thanks for sharing and good luck on your "new life". It's amazing how things almost always work out.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.