The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

JockeyCDC Guest

Default Would like opinions from professionals in the sport.

Hi,

This is my first time posting here, though I have read the forums for quite some time now. I decided to register because I have some specific questions to ask. I am an aspiring jockey, and I need some opinions on my situation from professionals in the industry; trainers in particular, but all opinions would be appreciated. It would also be extra-helpful to hear from those in the Lexington, Kentucky area.

I'd rather ask these questions through private message, because to explain the situation I have to explain some details that I'd rather not do on a public forum.

Just let me know and I'll send you a message. Of course, if you don't really have any answers, you don't have to reply; I hope no one will ignore this for fear they won't be able to help!

You are welcome to pm me although I encourage you to ask you questions here. Even small time jocks are in the public eye so you might as well get used to handling comments and criticism.

JockeyCDC Guest

Just sent it to you Laurierace. I'm not that worried about being criticized myself, but I'd rather not invite any criticism of the program I'm asking about. Thanks for the advice though, I definitely do need to get used to comments/critisism.

Ok now that I have read your PM I understand your desire to be discreet. I hope it works out for you. I believe you either have it or you don't so if the program isn't the best you will succeed anyway if you have what it takes. There are certain things God himself couldn't teach you. It comes from within.

I'll answer your pm in a sec, but i still think you should have posted your questions publically, and here's why: you're going to have to tell people your background, what programs you may or may not have been a part of, and defend your decisions to becoming affiliated with one group/program/whatever. i know that if someone asks me about freelance riding, i have to be able to tell them that i've ridden for x,y and z. they don't have to LIKE who i've ridden for, but i can't very well say to them, "i'd rather not say what i've been doing, who I've been working for, or where i learned how to ride." that would go over like a ton of bricks! and the ability to let the crap just roll off your back is an invaluable skill, both at the racetrack and here on coth.