The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Anyone have dog insurance? asking for jingles NEW update post 41

How quickly things can change, see post 34!

So, I'm a die hard insurance nut for my horses (its paid for itself at this point!), and have everyone covered and am now considering getting some for my corgi, Trudy. If I go this route, I think I'm leaning towards Petplan after reading reviews....but can't help but wonder if I wouldn't be better off putting that money away rather than buying insurance? I'd really love to hear your thoughts/comments, I've never known anyone who had it, so am turning to the knowledge of COTH!!! Anyone have/had it???

Oh and fyi: She is 12 years young, so hers would be $350 a year w/a $200 deductible. I honestly had no idea they'd insure a 12 year old dog!!
    Last edited by Neighland; Aug. 14, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

I would say look into Trupanion and VPI as 2 good reputable insurance providers.

Of course, for a 12 year old dog, putting away the money wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea either. Be sure to ask each company what they cover in terms of emergency coverage.

Here is a good site that reviews what questions to ask:
    http://www.healthypet.com/petcare/Pe...5-82040e75819e

Last time I checked I decided that it made more sense to put money away than buy pet insurance, because most plans have so many exclusions that I didn't think it would be cost effective for my dogs. I am more worried about big ticket items like cancer or joint surgeries, which are usually excluded and/or require expensive riders, than I am about things like accidents (hit by car, etc.) because my dogs are extremely obedient to voice commands and are never loose and unsupervised. I think it really depends on the plan.
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

I've been an active member on dog forums for years.. I'm pretty new to horse ones.

Most people advocate putting away the money into a separate account. Lot of plans don't cover specific conditions due to breeds. I personally know multiple people screwed over by their insurers after paying out premiums for years. Either paying way too little or none at all. Awfully hard to fight.

Some newer companies seem to get your bill instead of you paying out of pocket first, but many require you to pay the entire bill and then look for reimbursement. So you still need the available funds to pay even in an emergency situation or a credit card to cover the costs initially anyhow.

I personally have an account for emergencies for my cockers. Seems horse insurance from reading posts rocks. Dog insurance I've never heard too much good on.. then again the bad is often more loud than the good.. But people ask these questions on dog forums often. So there is the opportunity for people to be outspoken about the good and there isn't usually a ton of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    I would say look into Trupanion and VPI as 2 good reputable insurance providers.
    I have VPI for my rabbit (as an "exotic" her bills can add up fast!) but only because they are the only company in the US that offers exotic pet insurance. I would never use them for my dog/cat...they have A LOT of exclusions and exceptions, and are often really bad about paying out for certain things.

I got a free 30-day trial of Trupanion for my pup through my vet's office, and were I to spend the money on dog insurance, I'd go with them. (And this is after doing tons of research on the different companies.) They have the least exclusions/exceptions, and do cover a lot of hereditary stuff that a lot of other companies don't. Their rates are also really reasonable.

Although honestly, I'm probably going to let the coverage lapse and just put money away in an emergency fund somewhere. I know all it takes is one event to make years of insurance "worth it" but when I look back on the 20 odd dogs that I've had, I've had to take exactly two to the emergency vet---one for seizures, and one for some x-rays. I wasn't charged for the seizure dog's checkup, and the x-rays for the other were under $400. I'll just plan to rely on the emergency fund/credit card/CareCredit.

I have it on my Dobe. I have had him a year and a half and have used it about 4 times. I pay a $200 deductible per year and a 20% co-pay. I also pay $780/year (more than my horses' mortality/major medical!).

At this point, with this dog, I am winning. You don't get much from a small animal vet for $780/year....nevermind the emerg clinic (which we visited twice in less than a week last week ). They seem to cover just about everything and are great at paying.

If I had no worries and a $5000 bloat surgery wasn't a big deal I wouldn't bother but sadly, that is not my reality so I enjoy the peace of mind that the insurance offers.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I have VPI for my Standard Poodle, and so far, I have been very happy with them. They have covered everything that I needed. Mostly intestinal upsets due to puppy voraciousness.

Trupanion. Has moved from a "ceiling" of $20,000 to unlimited recently. It is what I have and think it is a great thing!!

Unhappy

Thank you guys so much for your replies!! I really appreciate it...unfortunately I had terrible timing....I had been looking into this a month or so ago, and got sidetracked and didn't get back it to it till Monday when I posted.... granted I'm glad I didn't buy it Monday at this point....(they would have thought I was trying to rip them off)

Yesterday I woke up and Trudy was not feeling well.....(had been fine the night before). I thought she was being lazy because she came to bed w/DH and I got up early to ride before work so didn't have as much corgi rest as normal, she was lethargic, I had to carry her down the stairs which she normally chugs right down, but I knew she felt terrible she had no interest in breakfast....because come on when a corgi doesn't eat there is a big problem, that was her first missed meal in 12 years! I got an appointment w/my vet right away, and she spent the night w/him last night (love him, he called me at 8:45 to let me know how she was doing before I went to bed), and had tests run yesterday, and appears she has a mass on her spleen ....I'm going to take her for an ultrasound to see how far it has spread tomorrow AM at UT.

Please jingle for Trudy!

I know I already told you this, but many more jingles for Trudy! (((hugs)))

Petplan is a great option for a new puppy because, unlike most of the other companies out there, they don't not-cover common expensive conditions such as hip dysplasia on the grounds that it is genetic and therefore pre-existing- as far as I know, they are the only company that doesn't weasel out of paying for all sorts of stuff on various claims about things being pre-existing. They paid up promptly with no fuss over $10k for several assorted conditions for one of our dogs- ACL repairs, cancer treatments. We would never have managed to sock away enough money to pay for the necessary vet care on our own.

Jingles for your corgi!
    Last edited by wendy; Aug. 11, 2010 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighland View Post
    Thank you guys so much for your replies!! I really appreciate it...unfortunately I had terrible timing....I had been looking into this a month or so ago, and got sidetracked and didn't get back it to it till Monday when I posted.... granted I'm glad I didn't buy it Monday at this point....(they would have thought I was trying to rip them off)

Yesterday I woke up and Trudy was not feeling well.....(had been fine the night before). I thought she was being lazy because she came to bed w/DH and I got up early to ride before work so didn't have as much corgi rest as normal, she was lethargic, I had to carry her down the stairs which she normally chugs right down, but I knew she felt terrible she had no interest in breakfast....because come on when a corgi doesn't eat there is a big problem, that was her first missed meal in 12 years! I got an appointment w/my vet right away, and she spent the night w/him last night (love him, he called me at 8:45 to let me know how she was doing before I went to bed), and had tests run yesterday, and appears she has a mass on her spleen ....I'm going to take her for an ultrasound to see how far it has spread tomorrow AM at UT.

Please jingle for Trudy!
    Lord, another mass on a spleen... brutal. I am so sorry. There are many of us here who have lost dogs to hemangiosarcoma. We could start our own COTH support group.
    I am so sorry!!!
    I lost my heart dog last October to the blasted mass the size of my head on his spleen. My heart truly breaks for you!!!

Thanks Phaxxton!!

Thanks again guys, its a bit late now to go for dog insurance for Trudy, but I will probably get it on a future dog. Thank you all for your thoughts on it though!!

I had to attach some pics I took of her a couple of weeks ago!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3647s copy.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	30383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3667s copy.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	30384  

Neighland, ***huge*** jingles for you and Trudy.

While most splenic masses aren't great news, there is always a small ray of hope. Four years ago my large lab mix, Jack, suffered a splenic rupture that was caused by an unknown mass. (I'm really anal-retentive about his care, so we're not sure what happened, but it was very sudden and very alarming.) He was rushed into surgery, and since we knew that this was almost certainly hemangiosarcoma, I gave permission for him to be euthenized on the table. However, they discovered that it was NOT hemangiosarcoma - he had a benign tumor that led to the splenic rupture. To be safe, we biopsied everything in sight and everything came back clear. He's now 13 and facing some 'old man' issues (like sore hips) that I didn't think he'd even live to see.

I'll keep you and Trudy in my thoughts and prayers - please let us know how she's doing. Big hugs to you both.
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

Thanks Blinkers, we actually just lost our Aussie in June from the same thing as well, so it makes it a bit harder since I know whats coming.........here is my fav pic of him from a couple of years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZippyIMG_5911crop.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	30385  

Jingles for Trudy & her family ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~ She is adorable ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Jingles...

You weren't kidding about not missing a meal in 12 years. Jingling for good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighland View Post
    Thanks Blinkers, we actually just lost our Aussie in June from the same thing as well, so it makes it a bit harder since I know whats coming.........here is my fav pic of him from a couple of years ago.
    He was beautiful!!!

Wink JINGLESS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    You weren't kidding about not missing a meal in 12 years. Jingling for good news.
    Most of that might be fur!!! Those Corgi's are fluffy very fluffy.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.