The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

[links removed because the photos do not belong to the OP]

The Board of Directors of the Morgan Horse Association has approved the use of bands and turnbuckles for any horse other than a weanling or a yearling.

They now take the rules change proposal to the USEF.

This is a travesty.

The board has somehow been convinced that this is for the good of the horse. Are they joking? Yes, the bands and turnbuckles will help keep pads and shoes on. But the horse should not have so much padding and shoeing that it needs to be strapped on.

This is, pure and simple, the personal agenda of a small but influential (think: $$$$) group trying to rewrite the rules to fit THEIR needs. This is for THEIR good, certainly not the welfare of the horse.

Those of you familiar with USEF: Who can we contact at USEF in order to try and stop this rule change?

Back in the 60's the AMHA put limits on foot length, shoe weights, and banned the use of braids in order to separate the breed from the growing Saddlebred population. The trend is the reverse now, and soon the two breeds will be virtually the same to the unpracticed eye.

I love Morgans. I like Saddlebreds. Let's not get the two confused.

Help us stop this rule change.

Thank you.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

If the rag-taggle reports I've heard from the AHA convention, the Arabian Association is headed down the same path.

I D I O T S, the whole blooming works of 'em.

If they want contests for creative farriery, then have farrier competions and leave the horses out of it.

Hey, Hitch, pardon my ignorance for a sec, but what on Earth os that big V wedge looking thing in the front of the hoof? Does it cause pain? Is this the same kind of stuff the TWH big lick people do to get them to high-step? If so, I think it's AWFUL.

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

What is the point of all that stuff on the feet?!

Originally posted by Phaxxton:
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

What is the point of all that stuff on the feet?!
    To, cough/sputter/gasp, "enhance" their way of going. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

'Scuse me...but I enjoy seeing a Morgan, TWH, Saddlebred, MFT, RMH, etc. go the way God created them....au'natural!

Just look at those poor feet. Bent, under run heels (that's an understatement) et al. And then the owner wonders why they have hock and back problems. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif

I boarded with a woman who had 2 TWH mares. Gorgeous, free-moving mares - barefoot, never been strapped to those instruments of torture and (Thank God!) never sored. They were a delight to see move. Even got a couple of blues in Western Flat Shod classes.

Used to board next to a TWH breeder/shower/trainer. All were strapped into those things...some worse (i.e., lifts that weighed 5 pounds and were 4 inches high). Kept stalled 24/7 to build heel. Oy vey http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif

This thread will probably go sideways as those who work with these type of horses see nothing wrong with lifts, straps, chains, soring, etc. Let the games begin...
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I'm bumping this in hopes of getting some feedback on how best to contact USEF to protest the passage of this rule change.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

The big wedge shaped thing is a toe clip. It's used to keep that mess of a shoe job from shifting back on the horse's foot. I agree that turning Morgans into Saddlbreds is a crime! And I love Saddlebreds too.

Holy moly (some of) you yanks are crazy!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif There's about 2 inches of hoof and ?? inches of *what the heck is that - call that a shoe??* hanging off that horse that shouldn't be there. How could anyone impose that on any defenceless animal?

The toe clip itself is not the issue. Toe clips can be used on any horse that tends to pull shoes, even hunters shod in aluminium.

Here we go again...

I personally believe it is a good move. If a horse takes a wrong step and rips of its shoe along with a lot of hoof, the horse could be out for the season. Not only will the use of bands help prevent that, it will also speed up the shows because of less thrown shoes. The BOD has had a lot of problems in the past and they are moving in the right direction. If you have attended the USEF Rule Forum's at the major shows they poll the people who attend them, and bands were something that was asked (at least last year) and the public wants bands.

But I do not think that a horse should have such a big shoe that it cannot carry it without a band.

Steve
    Steve

I wish somebody would trim the fur around that coronet band and sand the feet up a bit...they look messy! Other than that they look fine to me. I am going to save my energy for horses that are truly abused and sadly http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gifthere are plenty of those http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif I don't know why trimming around the legs is such a pet peeve of mine http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Before this gets out of hand:

1. This is not a jab at any other breed or their shoeing/showing practices. Please be clear on this point.

2. Steve makes the point that I want to put across AS IT PERTAINS TO MORGANS (notice I did not point a finger at any other breed): If the shoe can't stay on without bands, it should not be on the horse.

I personally would love to see the heavy shoes etc. come off every horse, period. But that's not going to happen. Not. Going. To. Happen. What I want to see is that this NOT happen in the Morgan breed. I know in my heart of hearts this rule change is going to happen but I owe it to myself to do what I can to try and stop it.

So, I repeat. This topic concerns MORGAN HORSES. No other breed. That's an argument someone else can take on.

Why shouldn't a horse wear a band if needed? They can be a pain but so can a lot of things with horses.

If you need to contact USEF I think the website would be usef.org it should be fairly easy to contact them if you wish.

Originally posted by Aptor Hours:
    Why shouldn't a horse wear a band if needed? They can be a pain but so can a lot of things with horses.

If you need to contact USEF I think the website would be usef.org it should be fairly easy to contact them if you wish.
    The band becomes an issue when it is holding on a grossly overpadded/weighted shoe that has zero chance of staying on the foot without a band.

My apologies to the Saddlebred folks on the board. I don't want to turn this into a breed-bashing and I know it is a sensitive issue. I am watching this very closely and if things turn nasty I will close the thread.

This has me so upset I can't think straight. I've been around Morgans for a long long time and there are a lot of people out there (and they are usually too busy foaling out mares or working two jobs to help pay the feed bill to go to the shows) that are HORRIFIED by this. How can they make their feelings known?

I'm off to search the USEF website.

That's too bad. It's going down a controversial road. However, bands themselves are not evil. I have one horse that is light shod - no pads - but will pull his shoes off in turnout with his overreach. For this he gets bands on at home. The shoes are too expensive to be losing every night and the damage to a foot or leg could be great. They are not bands that are used to clamp the foot so tight that it is soring, and the bands come off before showing. Being a racking horse and SSH he *could* be shown in the bands if we wanted, but there is no reason. It is strictly to keep shoes on at home.

What stand does the USEF take on it now?

Originally posted by mrd:
    USEF MO103 - Shoeing Regulations (Morgans)
    1. Except for weanlings and yearlings which must be shown barefoot, horses may be shod or barefoot. If shod, shoes must be without turnbuckles, or bands, rocker bars or Memphis bars. Bars must not extend below the bottom plane of the shoe. Weight attached to the exterior of the hoof is prohibited. Borium or standard screw-in caulks are allowed.

Originally posted by mrd:
    That's too bad. It's going down a controversial road. However, bands themselves are not evil. I have one horse that is light shod - no pads - but will pull his shoes off in turnout with his overreach. For this he gets bands on at home. The shoes are too expensive to be losing every night and the damage to a foot or leg could be great. They are not bands that are used to clamp the foot so tight that it is soring, and the bands come off before showing. Being a racking horse and SSH he *could* be shown in the bands if we wanted, but there is no reason. It is strictly to keep shoes on at home.

FYI those bands are not for soring they are just like you stated to help prevent the loss of a shoe. That is all.

My trainer has to use the buckles on her Trak to keep his shoes on. He has the crappiest feet in the world and rips his shoes off left and right. He doesnt have all those pads and everything on there, but the buckles have been a God send to keep his shoes on and him sound.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!