The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SmartPak Deluxe High Neck Turnout Blanket?

Anyone have one? Interested in reviews, especially on the heavy weight.

I'd be using it on a 15.3-16.0 fine-boned, fine-coated, thin-skinned, moderately narrow TB. He gets turned out alone, but has an over-the-fence buddy and things occasionally get rowdy. Turnout in winter usually only lasts 2 hours or less (it gets very cold here). Horse may or may not be clipped...have not decided yet.

Interested in fit, rubbing, durability, warmth, and anything else you have to say about it.

Thanks in advance!

Really? No one owns this blanket? I know it is still super hot and muggy out, but I'm trying to plan ahead!

My mare has the medium weight. We used it for half of the winter last year, and it is still in great shape. No rubs, seem to keep her toasty. She is not hard on her blankets so I can't comment on durability but it has held up well, and she is out 24/7.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Rikerkv6! Any info helps as I've never seen the blanket in person but it looks like it could be quite nice.

Thumbs up

I bought the high neck heavyweight last winter for my 16.2 TB gelding and I love it. This horse managed to tear a hole in his Rhino in a couple of weeks, but had only very minor snags in the SmartPak turnout in the three or so months he wore it. It fit him really well (and he gets rubs in all sorts of places generally), even in the high neck part, which looks pretty tricky to fit properly.
    He is clipped in the winter (hunter clip) and was never cold up here in the horrible, bitter Northeastern winters. Hope that helps!
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Awesome! Thank you! I just ordered it in a 78 (his regular size), so I'm hoping that will work because there were not many sizes available on the website. I can't wait to get it, though I won't have the heart to make him try it on until this heat and humidity breaks.