The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DIY shade cloth flynet for run-in?

Any hints/suggestions for constructing a shade panel/fly barrier ? Found rolls of shade cloth on sale at Walmart yesterday and not sure what is the best design...(how much of opening should be covered,height,etc.). Thanks for any advice!

I probably wouldn't put up such a thing, because it would also keep the inevitable flies inside. Unless you combine it with another thread and put up the sticky fly reel tape! In that case, I would use nylon window screen.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I made some of these for my barn doors:

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/w...screen-reviews

They are a little complicated so if you aren't a DIYer I'd buy one and model the rest on them. They work quite well. I don't have to open and close the doors, and air circulates. It took a few tries for the cats to figure them out but they now come and go at will. The best thing about them is that the damn chickens and geese (haha I actually love the messy birds I just don't want them in my barn) haven't figured them out.

I forgot to add -

If you search around a bit you can find the same type of thing for garage doors.

Not sure if I would use it for something the horses would be going in and out of though. I think they would tear them and/rip them down and pound them into the dirt -as I'm sure you know they just love to destroy things.
    Last edited by Bells; Aug. 4, 2010 at 04:07 PM.

I think a horse would trash them pretty quickly. I have the ones in that picture for my back door, and the dogs have shredded the bottoms just from going in and out.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I remember seeing some type of fly guards for barn entrances- I think in the farmtek catalog. They were heavy duty plastic strips that the horses learned to walk through. I think you could do the same with screening as long as it was heavy enough (maybe adding trim to each strip) to hang back in place?

Here is the link for the vinyl strips. In the catalog- it shows a horse walking through them coming out of the barn...

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...roductId=22251

I purchased shade cloth tarps on ebay approx 4 years ago. Work very well - horses brush through them and the greenheads tend to stay on the outside surface of the tarps.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/r...shadecloth.jpg

Ditto gnu.

At my old barn the BO bought some tennis windscreen panels and hung them across the run-in. Kept the flies down and it was cooler with the added shade. The horses quickly figured out how to walk through them.

Awesome! I love those - hmmm one more thing to add to my list of projects. I'm glad to hear that they work

Me too. Guess I was wrong about that. cool.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Gnu,thanks for the pic! That's just what I was looking for....now to start assembling the 10 rolls of shade cloth I bought (for $4 a roll!) into somthing similar.

What section of Walmart did you find the cloth in? Buried somewhere in gardening?

I've been using shade cloth tarps across my run-in doors and exterior stall door for years. Originally I bought just the cloth but later changed to pre-made tarps because they come with bound edges and grommets already installed. I like having those grommets to use and I place small screw eyes up under the eves to hang the shade cloth from. I did also find that using two pieces across the 12'wide opening of the run-in and over lapping them in the center worked really well.

NOOOOOOOO, you are not trapping flies inside. It's not like a shut up house with a fly inside. It's DARK inside which flies avoid, cool and dark, big relief to the horses.

You would be best off putting a binding tape on the eges of your tarp and then installing grommets. You can buy a grommet kit at your local fabric/craft store or an REI store.

The dar stuff does fray and tear unless it's reinforced. An idea if you can't sew is using a heavy duty duct tape on the edges, one layer on each side so it is doubled up and putting the grommets thru that. Because the wind will blow the tarps I suggest a few grommets on the sides so you can fasten one of both sides to the doorway. You can use cable ties to attch the tarp grommets to the screw eyes but I like the small screw open chain links as they don't break. I used the cable ties for a while but would occasionally have to haul out a laddre to replace the ones along the top. Those chain links hold forever.

chicamuxen

Chicamuxen, you're my hero!!!! What great info you have given me! Will tackle my shade cloth rolls in the morning with duct tape to make them more durable.(Where did you find your prefab rolls? ) Can't wait to see how the herd reacts..

Bells, I did find them hidden in the Walmart garden section. They are 6 X 15 rolls in various colors on sale for $4 a roll..and had packs of grommetts ($1 for 10) next to them.

Thanks horserdrs I'll be visting Walmart tomorrow.

Those that have them up - do you leave them up year round or take them down in the fall?

I generally take mine down for the winter months but this year I'm leaving them up and hoping they will keep out some of the wind.

I was going to rig up almost a roman shade type deal for my barn. I have an open face barn (think shed row but with an aisle in front with roof over it) and esp now when the sun is setting, it is beating down into my barn. It is at least 10 degrees hotter in the aisle than outside of the aisle b/c of the sun shining in.

I want to hang up a shade, but have it attached to a big wooden dowel or something, with a string/rope, and basically make a really big roman shade and be able to "open and close" it as needed. Plus it could help keep the rain out when its blowing sideways.

Thoughts?
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Krazy - We have something like that that we use on our back porch. It does catch in the wind - a little wind will get it moving at a good clip - we don't have the ends of the dowel secured to anything though. So I'd suggest something low down to secure it in place? We only use it when we are around so can roll it up when we notice the wind.

We found it pre-made at Home Depot or Lowes. They come in different lengths and widths.

Like this:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_139067-65144-CRU5266_0_?productId=1134051&Ntt=outdoor+roll-up+shade&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=outdoor roll-up shade