The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sweet Older Black and Tan Coonhound needs loving home Carrollton Ga

I found an older Black and Tan Coonhound running down the road a few weeks ago. His owner came and got him but the dog returned the following day and has been at my house ever since. He is extremely sweet and enjoys being around company.

He is about 8 years old and is looking for a home where he can be loved. He stays in my garage all day and just wants a safe place to lay his weary head. He has been neutured and I will pay for his shots. He seems to get along fine with other dogs but mostly ignores them. He is cautious around horses and stays out of their way. He will chase cats but in reality he is very slow so I do not think he could harm one. He has never tried to come into my house and seems to prefer the outdoors however,unlike most coonies he does not wander. He is free to a excellent, loving home.

....and you have the owners permission to give their dog away? I don't understand if they came and got him before are they now outlooking for him and you have him shutin a garage or they refuse to come get him again?
    CoonHounds are great dogs and very sweet...... hopefully he will find a grerat home or be reunited with his owner soon.
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

To answer your questions: the owner has been contacted and does not pick him up. He drives by my house twice a day and the dog is clearly in my yard, porch and pasture. He does not ever stop. Secondly the dog is not locked in my garage because it is 95 degrees plus and it would be to hot for him inside. He is staying, by his own choosing, on my front porch. I have not made any effort to contain him or prevent him from leaving nor have I prevented anyone from coming to get him. I have called the owner 5 times and he has come once. the dog returned and the owner has not come back for him. It would be much eaiser if the owner would come back for him but he has shown little interest in doing so. He has been at my house now 3 weeks.

Spot - wish I had a place for him!

Thank you for taking the time to look out for this aged gentleman.

Thanks In_. Coonhounds are my favorite breed of dog. I have a black and tan myself and had a bluetick before that. They are the most wonderful dogs! I may have found a home for him but if anyone is interested please let me know. Also my friend rescued a Walker Coonhound from a very abusive home and needs to place her as well.

I think it's great that you are looking out for this old boy...

A word of caution though...if his idiot owner decides in 6 months he wants the dog and comes calling and finds the dogs been given away you may find yourself in a heap of trouble.... even if all he does is attempts to sue you and the court tells him he's an idiot and leave you alone, it will still cost you time and money for defense.

I would write him a letter, certified mail telling him you assume the dog is abandoned and that you will be finding him a new home in 30 days. Check your state laws, but a lot of places with will CYA.

Good luck and thank you for doing that...

I wish I could take him, I love Black n Tans.... I have a GSP and just love big field dogs!
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict

Thanks for all the suggestions. The owner has released the dog to me. He now needs a loving home. I thought my trainer was going to take him but she does not have a fenced in yard so I am still looking for a wonderful home for a sweet old dog. I will post pictures tonight.