The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To my COTH enablers (a bit long: sorry!)

Dear COTH eventing buddies:

You all have been there for me through some very sad and trying times as well as those that have been great silly fun. We've thought deep thoughts together and I've learned so much from reading this forum. Today I was packing to go to the Training 3 Day at GMHA on Tuesday, reflecting on how I came to be doing this. AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Last summer threads were appearing about the dearth of entries in the T3D. I hadn't thought much about ever doing one, but the arguments "for" which were presented were compelling. So much so, that I began to think I should give it a go.

My coaches, bless them, didn't laugh when this creaky 58 year old and her OTTB announced this goal and asked for their opinion. Instead, Barend Heilbron (dressage) and Ferial Johnson (everything else) formulated plans with me, guided me and have been telling me I could do it, right from the beginning.

So, too, my DH. He is actually taking the week off from work so that I can get away: he'll stay home and make sure all runs well (no small feat). The rest of my family has been supportive as well, understanding that my goal demands lots of "horse time" even if they don't quite understand what it is I'm doing.

My barn mates have been incredible: watching me ride (especially when I go out for trot and canter sets) to be sure I get home, offering any and all kinds of assistance, and encouraging me whole-heartedly every step of the way.

Through this forum, I reconnected with RiverBendPol, and she and her daughter, the fabulous Emstah, will be there competing as well, bucking me up should I have any doubts.

But I want to thank all of you COTHers who got me to this point. It has been a wonderful learning experience, and most of all, my mare has blossomed and matured because of the preparations. I truly can't wait to do endurance day, and I'm betting she can't either. (Dressage, alas, is still a work in progress.)

So, no matter the outcome, I'm thrilled that I have done this, and I think you all deserve to know that your words DO matter. As I go to our first jog, and every step of the way until we finish, I'll be thanking you all from the bottom of my heart.

Cheers and happy eventing to all. I be toasting you Thursday night!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Thumbs up Hurray for YOU!!!!

You are now my INSPIRATION!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your journey thus far...and I so love that Polly and fab Emstah will be along too. Please keep us all updated - this 60 year old needs a bit of a nudge to believe in herself these days - I think you might have done it!!!

Lots and lots of good luck and so many fun wishes coming your way!

Lynda
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Cool How very Cool ~

How very cool !!!~~~ You Go Girl ~ Good Luck & ENJOY ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Talking

So so excited to hear all about it- every last hoofbeat. . Congrats!!

The one thing I remember most was how fantastic the journey is. All that time is just precious with them, and truly the greatest joy-the destination us just the cherry! Although, I admit-an amazing cherry!
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

That is so cool! I'm assuming you are going to GMHA; I'll keep an eye out for you there.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Have an INCREDIBLE time. If I ever do one of these, can I blame you??
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Thumbs up

wonderful post frugalannie.

I can only echo what Run For It said - you are inspiration for the rest of us groanin' grannies. Thank you for sharing your journey with us, good luck, and HAVE FUN!!!!!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Heh, heh, pleased to be guilty as charged! Have a *fabulous* time, and update us as much as you can! I'll be taking the T3D plunge in a couple of months, so you are blazing the trail for me!

You have put me to shame. I will do a gallop set in your honor this week, FA! Best of luck and have a good time -- and don't feel deflated at the end. Feel accomplished!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Ahhhhh, so there's hope for me yet?! I really wanted to do preliminary again b4 I hit the big 5 0, but that didn't happen. I was beginning to think I wouldn't even make a novice run b4 I hit the even bigger 6 0, but now that's a possibility Really hoping the trng 3days will continue for a few yrs., because I'm beginning to think .....

Best of luck to you this week, and have a GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

WHOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

I'll be heading out in October to do ours!!!! so I'm hoping it will go well. I'll be cheering you on!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

And thanks for the reminder to go do my trot and canter sets!! The stupid humidity and 109 degree heat index is making it awful hard to stick to my routine. Sigh.....

frugalannie,

I, too, am 58 years old. Wow! You go girl! Never in my wildest dreams would I believe that I could get to a Training 3-day. You are inspirational.

Have a safe ride and a blast!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

It's all thanks to you, my friends, that this goal became mine and I stuck to it. Can't embarrass COTH, after all! And I really appreciate the encouragement. It's hard to believe so many people actually read my long post.

It occurred to me this morning that I'm probably the fittest I will ever be for the rest of my life. It feels good, but I don't see myself doing trot sets on 90+ degree days without a goal like this in mind!.

I don't think I'll have time to post again until I return, so have fun while I'm gone.

And for anyone who is thinking about a three day, if I can do it, you KNOW you can do it!

Peace out.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

You go girl! Remember that the best word you can hear are "Accepted" - because that means you got there. Whatever happens, you made it to your goal and take a moment to enjoy that. Have a fantastic time!

So excited for you and your accomplishment! Your post should be required reading for all eventers of all ages to remind them what it should all be about....

Hopefully more and more people will be inspired just like you (or BY you!) and the Classic Three Day will indeed survive.

HAVE FUN!!!!!
    Post your XC reviews at www.crosscountryreview.com today!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

Annie,

I am 49, with 4 years of college tuition to pay, I figure that I will be close to your age before I can get back to eventing, get to Training, and be ready for a T-3-day.

You are a true inspiration.

THANK YOU! And have a great time!

And the crowd cheers. . .Annie, Annie, Annie!!!

Good luck, have a blast!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tux61096 View Post
    And the crowd cheers. . .Annie, Annie, Annie!!!

Good luck, have a blast!!
    best comment yet!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Have a great time, frugalannie!

I had my own experience with goal-setting and, ultimately, -achieving this summer. (If anyone here has followed my multi-part pentathlon saga over at Eventing Nation, you'll know what I'm talking about. )

When you embark on this type of journey, you have many opportunities to say no and few opportunities to say yes. You go out there almost every day resisting the urge to give in to the I'm-crazy-doing-this-at-my-age-with-all-this-other-stuff-going-on voice in your head. When you have setbacks, even small ones, you have to resist the urge to lower your goals to more 'reasonable' things.

But you don't and you keep going and one day, you're there.

Best of luck, FA, and don't let anyone stop you from having the time of your life.

JER, I LOVED your pentathalon writeups. Fabulous! Congrats for finishing it.

Frugalannie, hope you have a GREAT time! I'm currently preparing for my very first HT (BN) ever at the age of 31 ... hoping I can make it to Training some time before my 60th birthday.