The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Response time

What would be the appropriate length of time to wait for your trainer to return your call? at what point does one make an issue of the matter?

There are so many factors to this. Is the trainer at a show, or traveling? Is your horse at the trainer's barn? Do you call your trainer frequently with questions that could have waited until the next time you see him/her? How frequently do you work with the trainer? (IOW, do you ride with trainer infrequently, but call regularly with questions that are time-consuming to answer?) Do you regularly follow the trainer's advice?

I would say it depends on what you want from that trainer.
    Is he training your horse or yourself as you want, but lacks social skills, or is not very organized otherwise, or forgetful?
    Then you can't but keep at him, until you make connection.

Or, is he tired of your demands and is letting you know he will get back to you when it suits him?
    You may then have to consider how good he is about what you expect of him and if he is not good enough...

Off topic (sorry!) but this would be a good question to ask about farriers too..For example, I love my farrier but he doesn't check his phone until he finishes working in the evening (and he doesn't work weekends) and a couple of times now it's been a couple of days before he has seen / answered a call of mine...
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

The trainer is not showing and the horse is several hundred miles away. The questions are fairly quick and easy. for example, update of how the training is progressing, possibilities for up and coming shows. I had wanted to show the horse at a local show but since i was not contacted by the trainer in time, a very important show is no longer possible. One simple question actually took several weeks to be answered. One question, am still waiting on and that too has been several weeks.

dressage for life, to answer your question, i tend to give farriers a greater leeway. if it is an emergency then no, i would ask for an immediate return of my call. if just attempting to schedule an appt, i would give the farrier up to 4days.

Schedule a time with them to talk. Call every day, once a day, until they deign to call you back. Is there anyone else you can call, the house # vs their cell, for example?
    Within a week is surely reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by andylover View Post
    The trainer is not showing and the horse is several hundred miles away. The questions are fairly quick and easy. for example, update of how the training is progressing, possibilities for up and coming shows. I had wanted to show the horse at a local show but since i was not contacted by the trainer in time, a very important show is no longer possible. One simple question actually took several weeks to be answered. One question, am still waiting on and that too has been several weeks.
    I would call again and maybe pay an impromptu visit to the barn to check up on the horse. Very strange in my opinion that you haven't heard anything for several weeks while your horse is in training.
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

I have a problem returning calls myself because I'm not permitted to carry my cell phone at work, and even when I have I can't hear the thing to answer it. If I call my trainer about something I pick the phone I'm going to use - if it can wait for an answer then I use the message machine on the barn phone, if I need to reschedule a lesson or other then I call on the cell and expect that I'll get a call back at her convenience, usually within an hour or two. If I had a horse in training I'd expect to get filled in on progress during my once a week lesson, in other words, once a week.

If I were to put a horse in training far away, then I should have scheduled a regular time for the discussion when I dropped the horse off, and tried to save all my questions for that call, but if I called and I get no call back within 48 then maybe the connection was bad and I need to leave a slow, clear message, name first, horse name, phone, what I want to know, then repeat the contact info and horse name. If I didn't get an answer back within 48 after that I'd seriously consider driving there or getting somebody to do a welfare check - the guy could be disorganized or he could be laying under a pile of hay with a busted leg! And if he's disorganized I might choose to go elsewhere at that point. I'd really hate to a$$ume he's just being his usual disorganized self and have him really BE in the hospital or other, and my horse possibly neglected.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Aug. 8, 2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: I confuse myself too
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I feel I am being trained in conjunction with my horse lol.. seriously, i do feel this is an important topic in that there are so many abuses that occur in the industry. i have heard and seen so many cases where horses are sent off to a training barn only to come back having had no training and feeding was optional. i feel i am a good example of what a responsible horse owner should be, and with that said, feel i receive subtle hints to stay away. it is almost like when you leave your horse at a barn, you loose ownership of that horse, at least on a temporary basis.

i think, with all the wise advice, it is time for me to make an impromtu visit..

Yeah, several weeks is far too long no matter what the trainer is doing. Barring a prolonged hospital stay that's just inexcusable.

I have the same problem, my trainer never calls me back. My horse is not in training with her but I would like her to come to my barn for a lesson at least once a month, and I can't even get her on the phone to schedule that. I had a show yesterday and had been calling her since June trying to get a hold of her and never did. I think it depends on how much you really like this trainer and how much they have helped you. In my case this is the perfect trainer for my horse so I will let her forgetfullness slide, but in your case, I would go make a visit.

Lovetojump, s/he's just not that into you. As in, I don't think you have a trainer. Maybe you used to...now, notsomuch.

OP, go see your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by andylover View Post
    I feel I am being trained in conjunction with my horse lol.. seriously, i do feel this is an important topic in that there are so many abuses that occur in the industry. i have heard and seen so many cases where horses are sent off to a training barn only to come back having had no training and feeding was optional. i feel i am a good example of what a responsible horse owner should be, and with that said, feel i receive subtle hints to stay away. it is almost like when you leave your horse at a barn, you loose ownership of that horse, at least on a temporary basis.
    I think you should pay an impromptu visit to your horse. And if you're receiving subtle hints to stay away, you might think about taking your trailer. I have limited experience in this area, having used a single trainer for nearly 4 years. Sometimes my mare is at his barn, sometimes she's home. That said, I had a standing invitation to visit any time. If I wanted to watch him ride her, I had only to mention the time and, whenever possible, that day would be re-arranged to accommodate me. I heard the same invitation extended to every training client.

You are paying the bills. Getting an update on a regular basis - text, e-mail or phone call - is reasonable.

I would not leave my horse at a barn that wasn't open to my visits. Good luck.