The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default BH Romanov

I am considering breeding to Romanov next season, and I know there are some breeders on this board who have used him. I am wondering what kind of conformation he produces, loin and hip connection in particular? I understand his foals have good movement and nice temperaments. Thanks!

I have used him for 2010 and have my Sandro Hit mare in foal to him. My friend has used him already a few time. For examples you can go to her homepage germanhorseconnection and check out her various subpages to find some pretty nice examples of offspring. I liked them all. Nice temperaments and all put together well.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

Lena Guest

Default BH Romanov

A friend of mine have three offsprings from Romanov, all are very nice and very well going. This year a 3 yearold from her breeding out of Romanov had the highest points at the 3 yearold test in Sweden for dressage horses.
    For example you can compare Skovens Raphael and Hönnerups Driver, both 6 yearold horses in the young horse championship final, and they are very different in conformation. There is always a mare involved, but I think his offsprings always have good movements.
    In Sweden he is not approved due to a small fragment of OCD. I do not know if the offsprings have more OCD that other horses, and we don´t x ray all our mares, but we have that regulation ( if I go to Denmark for covering, the offspring can be registrated in our studbook).
    Last weekend I saw Romanov in Verden where he had two placings in GP, and he was great! I have plans for using him in the future. http://www.dropshots.com/Horses2#alb...08-07/17:23:52

Thank you for that video! Super horse, and his offspring are really proving themselves.

I have a 2010 colt by Blue Hors Romanov out of my mare Wicca, by Warkanson / Akzent II. The temperament on him is superb, he came out friendly and socialized from day one. He is also very sweet and easy to handle. My mare's other colt was shy / stand-offish till about week three, but not this guy. I just love him.

Movement/conformation wise, he moves much better than the mare. Definite improvement on her canter. He is definitely going to be a dressage powerhouse. He was born toed-out which must come from the sire as his dam (as well as her dam and her other offspring) is correct. However, as he is widening in his frame his legs are beginning to straighten.

Here is a conformation picture (7 weeks old):
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...ssanoconfo.jpg

And a trot:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...y/sanotrot.jpg

I would rebreed in a second for a filly!
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Honey, what a nice boy! My mare has a weak loin, so I am wondering if Romanov will help botton up the connection. I can't find a conformation picture of him anywhere.

Thank you!

I haven't come across a confo shot of BHR either, but here is one of his full brother Rubin Royal. I am certain they are similar.
    http://yancey-farms.com/rubin_royal_stand.jpg
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Lena Guest

Default BH Romanov

Here he is http://www2.varmblod.dk/cgi-bin/hingsteliste.asp click at "klik her" in the row with his name ( the address to that side was to long to add here).

Foaldescription
    Suitably large, uniform and highly favored foals of good to very good type with good precious minimis level. Most with good expression. Well-proportioned, shapely, viable long neck. Medium long, sloping shoulder. A part of the button marked mane. Good topline, shapely, muscular junction. Limbs are suitable lead and prosperous. Movement good to very good in walk and canter. Very good and smooth in the trot. Can be used on a wide variety of mares.
    81 foals inspected over two vintages.

Lena, you have all the good info! Thank you.

I have 2010 twins by Romanov. ET and the donor mare produced two eggs at the same time. My main concern with my mare's conformation was loin connection and strength. I also wanted a foal with a longer neck. I am happy to say that I have two lovely foals. Though they are quite different, one is more muscular and looks like the prior picture, the other is more refined--both have excellent, strong loins and correct conformation. The more refined foal turns out a little in front and is slightly over at knees. She was born a little weak (her mother had placentitis), so I'm waiting to see what happens. So, far, at 6 weeks, she is looking straighter daily. I don't think it's going to be a problem and I'm not sure how much of this was Romonov's fault (maybe none). Both foals are lovely movers with free, open shoulders and good use of their hind ends. They are less hock movers and more back movers. The only complaint I have is Romanov killed all of the chrome. My mare is a very flashy sabino from a line of them. Very little white on the babies--though one has white eyelashes on one eye!