The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

firebreathingfillies Guest

Default yearling back at the knee.some pics added

my yearling was born with loose tendons, back at the knee, but grew out of them considerably to look really pretty straight until the last week. She now looks back at the knee again... how concerned should i be?
    how bad is it to be back at the knee, even with a mild case is she likely not to be a competitive horse?

tia
    Last edited by firebreathingfillies; Aug. 13, 2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: add to title

Pictures would be of great help.

I've seen youngsters grow up to be perfectly normal when they appears BATK as yearlings.

i can work on that.

I looked briefly for the thread, but if you look harder, you might find the one where someone posted their yearling BATK and another pic of him all grown up and he was perfectly fine.

My neighbor's Dutch/TB filly was back at the knee as a yearling and now as a 2 year old she has perfectly straight legs.

Obviously while not desirable, it may not be that big of a deal depending upon what you want to do with her. Abdullah (Trakehner Olympic Show Jumping Champion) was back at the knee and the trait also runs in Condus lines. Abdullah had a very, very long, active career as a top show horse and I've never heard of him having any soundness issues. I had Leonidas filly who was back at the knee but a lovely mover with a calm disposition. She moved like an excellent dressage prospect but also had a very cute jump. The trainer/breeder I sold her too, put a year of over fences training on her then sold her very easily for $15k. Some people it wigs out; others not so much. Lots and lots of horses overcome less than desirable conformation issues and remain very sound. Some breeders do discount prospects who are back at the knee in order to encourage prospective buyers to take a chance on them. Hopefully she'll straighten right up though as she continues to mature. Best of luck.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1244926306

Here are a collection of pics, her most recent are not up, where she looks worse. {and i hope the link works}

Her grandfather is Abdullah, I did not know that about him, I tried to read as much as I could about him and that never surfaced. I would like to event her, but if she is better suited to the jumpers I may give it a try.

Thank you all for wishing me well, and hoping for the straightness.

I don't think you're going to find much about a top stallion and his leg faults. Just like Martini horses often toe in. I think it's acknowledged that it's in those lines but no one goes on about it. Just something to bear in mind when breeding. This is the photo of Abdullah that I think is demonstrative: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

I have an Abdullah daughter and she is not back at the knee at all, so I think it's more a recessive trait in that line maybe.

Anyway, in the photos you posted, your filly, IMHO, looked somewhat "windswept" as a baby but appears to have straightened up nicely. My Leonidas filly appeared much more back at the knee and this was as a four year old. Best wishes.
    Last edited by FatCatFarm; Aug. 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Heavens, you're going to have to show something a lot worse than that before I begin to worry!

Yes, the foal shots show wonky baby legs, all knock-kneed and a bit BATK. But from what can be seen of the knees in the most recent pics, she seems to have straightened up really nicely.

Maybe some more recent shots taken side on would help?