The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Arctic Star: unsung hero.

I don't suppose many people have heard of Arctic Star. He was a TB foaled in 1942. He is recorded as having sired 50-100 foals so not a hugely popular stallion.
    http://sporthorsedata.com/d?i=647935&z=6Cd685

However his sons who went into racing did exceptionally well on the flat. One son won the Irish Derby, another won the Irish St Leger. However his offspring were even better at Steeplechasing. Via his sons Arctic Slave and Arctic Storm his family produced many top chasers including Titus Oates who won two Gold Cups and the King George Chase. Titus Oates was out of the very top drawer of steeplechasing horses.

Another son of Arctic Star went to stand in Germany, approved by the Holstein verband. He was called Sable Skinflint. His offspring won over 200,000 DM in sportshorse competition in the 1960s.

Via Arctic Star's good steeplechasing son, Arctic Storm, came the TB stallion Golden Beaker. Golden Beaker was the sire of Clover Hill, one of the best showjumping sires ever to come out of Ireland. It is no wonder Golden Beaker sired jumpers, his dam line is linebred to Hurry On, sire of Precipitation who was the sire of Furioso.

Arctic Storm sired Arctic Que. He was the sire of several international eventers and showjumpers.

Arctic Que also sired a mare called Arctic Lass (out of a mare of unknown breeding). She gave birth to Knockboy who was the sire of SeaCrest. And SeaCrest was the sire of Cruising, the very best showjumping sire that currently stands in Ireland.

Considering that most of these stallions produced no more than 50-100 foals each this record is simply amazing.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

You forgot to mention Top Star, stallion, sire of event horses. He is tail female to Black Cherry, daughter of Black Duchess, and 2nd dam of Blandford.

Arctic Star seems to have done especially well for jumping with mares who have Son-In-Law through Rustom Pasha (Aga Khan bred) in the damsire line. Or doubled with Pharos in the damsire line.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Is there a website for Top Star? I've seen him mentioned several times. Who are his parents and where does he stand?
    TIA
    PennYG

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Penny, he daid.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire