The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which consignment places to sell a saddle?

Which ones have quick turnover and are well-reputed?

I've emailed Middleburg since I have an foxhunting/eventer saddle and they're right in the heart of that market.

I remember there were a couple of used saddle places people mentioned frequently on COTH, but I can't remember the names, that will give you the money UP FRONT for your saddle. (It's of course a bit less than what you'd get regular consignment). I would prefer that but I can't remember which place does it!

I've boughten from Pelham in NH before, but I'm thinking I might have better luck selling my Berney Bros in the mid-atlantic area.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

For a Berney, I'd say definitely Middleburg Tack. They know that brand better than most vendors and it remains popular in Maryland (not least because there was a Berney rep in Maryland for many years and she was the only one in the country for awhile).

Would also recommend posting it to the Foxhunters Online email list. They are big on Berney.

Usedsaddles.com (aka Lightning G Tack Shop) is one of the ones that will buy your saddle outright. Most other places that do trade-in will only trade you against the value of a new saddle, and seeing as you have probably already found that Pessoa you were chasing, that doesn't apply to you.

Another vote for Middleburg Tack Exchange. They have alot of traffic in their store. I recently bought a saddle from them and would sell/buy another in a heartbeat there.

They are great!

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    For a Berney, I'd say definitely Middleburg Tack. They know that brand better than most vendors and it remains popular in Maryland (not least because there was a Berney rep in Maryland for many years and she was the only one in the country for awhile).

Would also recommend posting it to the Foxhunters Online email list. They are big on Berney.

Usedsaddles.com (aka Lightning G Tack Shop) is one of the ones that will buy your saddle outright. Most other places that do trade-in will only trade you against the value of a new saddle, and seeing as you have probably already found that Pessoa you were chasing, that doesn't apply to you.
    yes, I FINALLY found that Pessoa. Got a fabulous deal on it. Now I must sell my old Berney

I'd vote for Middleburg Tack Exchange also. I had a Stubben years ago that I owned for about 3 years. I sold it on consigment at MTE, and ended up getting the same amount that I originally paid for it!
    Cindy