The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jaguar Saddles?

I had no idea that Harry Dabbs was making saddles for the car company now.. I was looking for some HD saddles online and came across the new website. So I'm curious, has anyone tried one of Jaguars saddles? What did ya think? Anyone try the XJS or Equitation model?
    Go Vols!!

They are decent saddles for the price, but have very little options, hence I couldn't get one to fit ME. But if you are either very short or like a long stirrup then you won't run into the problem that I had (and have with 3/4th or more of the current saddles on the market, so it's probably just me) They also run a bit small in the tree width and WON'T work for horse with a long tapering wither. My horse fits in the standard tree of the devoucoux, anatares, and pessoa, but he wouldn't canter in a medium jaguar, it was that tight.

But of course, how it fits my very sensitive horse has nothing to do with how it will fit your horse, just wanted to give you heads up on the tree width.

I tried a buffalo xjs that was on sale for 2,000. They are not worth the claimed 3500 msrp, but most places sell them in the 2-2.5k area. The leather quality is similar to most English made saddles in that the leather is stiffer and is not the soft calfskin that is all the rage right now (but the seat and knee pads were). I did think that the saddle felt like it would hold up for a long time and when I tried it (with stirrup leathers and all) it didn't leave any marks and wasn't slippery and flat feeling like the "new" pessoa a/o's of the last decade. The flaps responded well to rolling and oiling (when I got it, it was molding in areas on the flap, yikes) and it did not make the saddle look "used" just newer actually

So anyways, if you are in the 2k price range, I would give the jaguars a try for sure. Very much worth that.

I also like that they were available in both foam or wool, but I had hard time finding wool in the lower price range so tried a foam one. But since my knee was over the flap 2 inches, it didn't matter.

Well, I have a Jaguar XJS that is a good 8 years old so this isn't anything new.
    Mine is the Harvest gold color, it didn't darken well at all and I was never really happy with the quality of the leather. It looked nice new but didn't break in well at all.
    The saddle was comfortable for the most part (I foxhunt) but for some reason now when I ride in it it feels like I"m riding a brick. And yes it has been restuffed etc.
    Overall it was ok but I don't think I would buy another one.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Dabbs stopped making the Jaguar saddles at least 3-4, maybe more years ago. I think the name was sold to Choice Brands, but I am not 100% sure of that. I have 3 Dabbs era Jaguar saddles. I love them and think they were worth EVERY penny. I like English style saddles (wool flocking, non-calfskin leather) and to me they're the ultimate. You will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have a Jaguar made by Dabbs that I've owned for about 10 years. Love it and would never give it up. It's held up great and broke in almost instantly. Still looks almost new.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

My friend has one, and it is one of the comfiest saddles I rode in. Not the most traditonal looking saddle, and they have the big logo on the back of it but they are comfy, adjustable and last forever.

There are different models (the look changed a bit over the years). Harry Dabbs produced the saddles during at least two different models of the XJS, and then I believe after that the brand was sold to someone else. Two of the three Jaguars I have don't have the big logo on the back (which you replace with your nameplate anyway)...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ent=jaguar.jpg
    That was Shane's Jaguar (currently out of use). Produced circa 2006ish. It did not have the larger logo on the back. This one was a Dabbs made Jaguar. Nailheads have the leaping Jaguar logo. I actually have two of this same Model, Somerset has the exact same saddle.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...dleforSale.jpg
    That was Stoney's Jaguar (sold). Produced circa 2001ish. I am not sure whether this one was Dabbs made or not. Nailheads have the roaring Jaguar logo. Much deeper seat than the other Jaguars.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...nt=ScamJag.jpg
    This is one that my trainer is currently borrowing. I believe it's Dabbs made. Nailheads have the leaping Jaguar logo. Has the big logo on the back.

All four of these saddles are Jaguar XJS models but they are a bit different because the model changed over the years. There may have also been different options for the seat (deep v. not deep) but I am not sure.

The saddle was a GODSEND for my asymetrical backed, big fat TB. It fit him better than any other saddle and was fairly easy to tweak/adjust by various saddle fitters.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

As with everything else-new company=down graded materials.
    I have an older XKC120 not currently made.
    It was designed for TBy types narrow w/ high withers.
    Still looks and rides like new.
    I'd buy a used one in a heartbeat-probably not new.

I have one in my barn. NO ONE is comfortable in it. Don't ever think we"ll find it a home!