The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sad Loss to the "Pony" eventing community

I sadly inform you all that the wonderful Connemara stallion, *Grange Finn Sparrow, was laid to rest in the hills of WV, on August 4th. He was 35.

Grange was not only athletically stellar himself, he consistently sired lovely movers and incredible jumpers. He himself did jumpers in Ireland, and was twice named the Top Scoring Grade A Pony while he was there. After his importation to the US, he continued doing jumpers, successfully showed in the hunter ring, and foxhunted.

Some of his most notable eventing offspring (1st generation only, although there are many 2nd & 3rd generation babies competing too): Windswept, Galway's Blazer, Briar Fox Mundungus, Nordic Sparrow Hawk, Wil'Ya Love Me, Meadow Sparrow, Grange Finn Sparrow's Boy, Speckled Sparrow, Rivendell's Mr Bubbles, Sparrow Cappuccino, Seaborne's Flagship, Sparrow's Tiptoes, and Sparrow's Owen.

Many of his eventing offspring have made it to the 2* or 3* level (both purebreds and half-breds) and Windswept even went to Rolex.

Grange was dearly loved by his human "family", and his many admirers.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

So sorry for your loss. He was an awesome pony.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

He was a grand pony, and he has left a huge legacy.
    He will live on in his offspring and grandbabies.

Rest in Peace Grange -

My sincere condolences to all who loved him.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I'm so sorry. I have seen several of his offspring compete and admired every single one-- even though I did not know at the the time that they shared a sire.

There is a really great write up on him on the US Eventing Blog: http://useventing.com/blog/?p=10780
    Fade to Grey Farm

My condolences to Tootie and Willie Leahey, but esp to Tootie. She's had a couple deaths in the family recently, what a rotten summer.

So sorry to hear that.
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

Oh, what a huge, huge loss. I have wanted to either breed something to him or snatch up one of his daughters for the longest time! Unfortunately, he threw such talent that I could never come close to affording a daughter. And all so gorgeous, too. Meadow Sparrow was the one Buck rode for a while, right? Awesome mare. I had wished that he'd keep the ride so I could keep following them.

A thread (or link to a thread) about his impact on U.S. eventing bloodlines would be a marvelous read, although I know he's had his press and I assume someone will give him another bang-up write-up in COTH. (And if they do, I sure hope they use lots of pictures! I feel like I really missed something because I failed to look and/or keep looking in the right place.)

My condolences to his family. I hope they'll share their memories of him with us again, someday.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

That was a really great write up. So sad, but what a legacy he leaves behind! So glad I stumbled upon my Grange baby!

Quote Originally Posted by DefyingGravityEventing View Post
    That was a really great write up. So sad, but what a legacy he leaves behind! So glad I stumbled upon my Grange baby!
    I am too - I immediately thought of you and your cute pony when I saw Grange had passed...you are soooo much fun to watch!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Sorry to hear of the loss of the old guy.

Being in the UK I'd not seen his name previously but as I'm a Connemara fan I've just had a good look at his pedigree and can see precisely why he'd be a fantastic athletic pony and a producer of brilliant jumpers.

You might be interested in knowing that I've got a couple that are very closely related to him.

Mine are by Smokey Shane whose grandsire was Carna Dun just the same as your guy. Mine on the sire side is line bred back to Innishgoil Laddie and with an offspring by him out of Golden Gleam and out of Silver Grey as great grandfather twice.

Yours has Innishgoil Laddie 5th generation.

I'd be most interested in seeing some photos of him if you have some in due course.

In the meantime thoughts are with you.
    Last edited by Thomas_1; Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:24 PM.

pwynn - Meadow Sparrow went on to have a great career with one of Buck's students, Madeline Blackman (if I'm recalling correctly). I loved that mare - all spunk!!!

I am so sorry to hear of this. What a grand old age to have reached, and what a lucky boy that he was loved enough to be let go with all the dignity that he deserved.
    -Jessica

I recall a rather fantastic story about how Grange came to Austria and then to the US but will have to check my sources before I tell it. Could be that I am remembering things wrong.

He was a fantastic little guy, last I saw him was about 3 yrs ago in WV. I rode a gelding out of him for a very short while. Talented and spooky and always ten steps ahead of me.

Yes, Buck rode Meadow Sparrow for a bit for Maddie Blackmon; Maddie has since sold her to another young rider, who plans to learn the ropes from her.

NRB: I'd love to hear the details of the story (you can pm me if you want). He was in Austria for a short while, and is credited with introducing the Connemara to the country. He did jumpers over there, as well as competed in his one and only event. He ran at the Preliminary level (not sure what their Prelim is to ours) and took 2nd.
    Fade to Grey Farm

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    I recall a rather fantastic story about how Grange came to Austria and then to the US but will have to check my sources before I tell it. Could be that I am remembering things wrong.

He was a fantastic little guy, last I saw him was about 3 yrs ago in WV. I rode a gelding out of him for a very short while. Talented and spooky and always ten steps ahead of me.
    Which gelding? They are all uber-athletic, and a little loco! I absolutely adore mine though, that extra spark gives them the edge for the upper levels for sure!
    Fade to Grey Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Being in the UK I'd not seen his name previously but as I'm a Connemara fan I've just had a good look at his pedigree and can see precisely why he'd be a fantastic athletic pony and a producer of brilliant jumpers.

I'd be most interested in seeing some photos of him if you have some in due course.
    He was born in Ireland, and competed there before coming to the US.

For pictures-
    http://www.morninggloryfarm-horses.com/5173.html and scroll down to the very bottom

and here
    http://useventing.com/blog/?p=10780

I once was standing next to Harry deLeyer at Culpeper (HITS) and happened to mention that I had a GFS grand-daughter.

He regaled me with many stories of GFS, including describing a time when "one of the kids" rode GFS in an Open Jumper class, and "beat both me and Rodney Jenkins"
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thomas_1: There is also a facebook group dedicated to him, search "Everyone's Favorite Pony: *Grange Finn Sparrow".

There are lots of wonderful photos of him, as well as his offspring and grand-offspring.
    Fade to Grey Farm

Quote Originally Posted by GAEventer View Post
    Which gelding? They are all uber-athletic, and a little loco! I absolutely adore mine though, that extra spark gives them the edge for the upper levels for sure!
    Was out of Colleen (sp?) a 3/4 bred mare from Ire. 3/4 tb 1/4 ID. Jose was the name. I only had him a couple months if even that. Tootie bred the mare, must have been one of hers.

Quote Originally Posted by NRB View Post
    Was out of Colleen (sp?) a 3/4 bred mare from Ire. 3/4 tb 1/4 ID. Jose was the name. I only had him a couple months if even that. Tootie bred the mare, must have been one of hers.
    For some reason I missed this until now, Jose Finn Sparrow? My friends own him now, they call him 'Bubba'. He's done some jumpers recently, and is doing really well at Training level in eventing.
    Fade to Grey Farm