The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Driveway Bell

We have a rather long driveway and when someone drives in, we dont always see them or hear the vehicle if we are in the house or down in the barn. The other day the vet came out to look at my horse and I didnt even know he was here until he called me as he was driving out. Im thinking of putting one of those hoses across the driveway that activates a bell like they have at gas stations--dont know what they are called or where to get one or even how they work. Can anyone tell me how they work and where I'd get one?

I don't know anything about those but the driveway patrol works pretty well and is fairly inexpensive. A friend of mine used it by the mailbox to let her know when the mail came at the end of her long driveway.

A friend of mine has a motion sensor at the end of her driveway that makes a doorbell ring in her house. It works great and I don't think it was too expensive or difficult to install.
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

My mom used to have one that was tied into her security system. So, that's one way to go. Call your local security company.

What is "the driveway patrol"?

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    I don't know anything about those but the driveway patrol works pretty well and is fairly inexpensive. A friend of mine used it by the mailbox to let her know when the mail came at the end of her long driveway.

This is the best company:

http://www.dakotaalert.com/index.php

You can buy the one for a few hundred feet, or for miles.
    You hang the little sensor on a post and have a base in the house that beeps and lights up, or bury a metal probe for vehicles, that will also beep your base in the house.
    We have had their basic one for five years and it is still working great.

They have also fancier ones, where you can have a portable monitor to take around with you, but don't forget to keep it charged.

For some reason I cannot post a link. Google Driveway Patrol and a bunch of stuff will come up. THe one I am familiar with is in the pic on the left. It has a motion sensor that I think is good for 400 feet. Takes 4 or more batteries I think. Has loud or low beep. Otherwise super simple and inexpensive.

I have the Dakota Alert magnetic system so that random passing deer don't set it off but vehicles on the drive (and lightning from approaching storms ...) will. It is wonderful.

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

We have the Dakota Alert wireless, with three zones, one near the house, one at the midpoint of the driveway and one at the end. There is a box in my house that talks - it says "Alert - Zone One", and then "Alert - Zone Two". The downside is that the dogs have learned that when they hear the voice, it is time to stampede out the dog door and go bark at whoever is in the driveway.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams