The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top Gear Anyone?

My daughter and I are so addicted. I'm not all that interested in the cars, but the show is absolutely hysterical. I think James May is my true soul mate
    It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys show up.

http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/profile/fallbrook

I seriously want a Vauxhall R8 Bathhurst.

Do you watch James May's "Toy Story"?

The "challenges" the have are funny regardless of whether or not you are interested in cars.

There was one a few seasons back where Jeremy drove a small SUV painted to look like a fox through the woods and Richard rode a horse in the "fox" hunt that chased him. I bet you could find it online - it was a good one. Captain Slow wasn't a part of that challenge, but it was horsey related...

the fox hunting one was AWESOME ! I want to tear though the English countryside with a SUV!

Absolutely love this show!!!! Yes it is a car show, but not a normal car show. So yes, I am addicted too. Of course at the moment, a corny little show called Heartbeat seems to be opposite this most Sunday's so I have been watching Top Gear on the second showing. Heartbeat is ending so after 18 years on the air so I'm being loyal to it right now.

Some of my most favorite Top Gear shows are when they went on a cruise through the South of the US. Painted some things on the cars that didn't go over too well and nearly got jumped at a gas station. And then they went to Vietnam and crossed the country on motorbikes - like cheap ones. They kept having to fix them so the shows producers said they could not buy anymore parts and had to fix the bikes themselves. If they could not fix them, they had a bike they could ride. It was painted red, white, and blue and belted out "Born In The USA". Thankfully the bikes made it to the destination. Crossing the English Channel in converted cars was pretty cool too.

Look out for Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise in "stars in a reasonably priced car." They were pretty good and I am not a TC fan.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    I seriously want a Vauxhall R8 Bathhurst.

Do you watch James May's "Toy Story"?
    Absolutely. I wish my cable company had a plan with only BBC America, it's the only channel we watch.

My daughter wants a Bugatti Veyron for graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by Let's_Motor View Post

There was one a few seasons back where Jeremy drove a small SUV painted to look like a fox through the woods and Richard rode a horse in the "fox" hunt that chased him. I bet you could find it online - it was a good one. Captain Slow wasn't a part of that challenge, but it was horsey related...
    That was one of my favorite episodes ever! Especially the look on Hammond's face when they showed him his hunt horse

Top Gear is "Date Night" for me and the DH. We never miss a night when the new episodes are on.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post

Some of my most favorite Top Gear shows are when they went on a cruise through the South of the US. Painted some things on the cars that didn't go over to well and nearly got jumped at a gas station. And when they went to Vietnam and crossed the country on motorbikes - like cheap ones. They kept having to fix them so the shows producers said they could not by anymore parts and had to fix the bikes themselves. If they could not fix them, they had a bike they could ride. It was painted red, white, and blue and belted out "Born In The USA". Thankfully the bikes made it to the destination. Crossing the English Channel in converted cars was pretty cool too.
    Terri
    Be sure to watch their trek to the Magnetic North Pole - too funny. Jeremy and James in a Totota Truck vs. Richard on a dog sled.

I am the Stig

Equilibrium's post just reminded me of another classic episode...

The next time they tried to get back in the US, when they were denied entry unless they agreed to film only a "documentary" instead of an "entertainment" show. They were real snarky about it and had big blanks in the episode because they started to do things that were too "entertaining" so they had to cut them out.

E.T.A:
    ...Oh, and the best part of that fox hunting episode is when Richard realizes he has to jump. "I've never jumped before!?!?!" HAHAHAH!

Default foxhunt video link

Quote Originally Posted by Fallbrook View Post
    Be sure to watch their trek to the Magnetic North Pole - too funny. Jeremy and James in a Totota Truck vs. Richard on a dog sled.

I am the Stig
    I am the Stig. I have the T-Shirt to prove it.

Best show ever.

Reed, please tell me more about James May's Toy Story.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Looooove love love Top Gear. Unfortunately the episodes we get in the US are several seasons behind and are edited for length (since we have to run commercials and the BBC does not, the show is a full hour there but only about 45 min. here) so we aren't getting all of it :-( I don't get BBC America either so I have bought the 3 seasons that are available on DVD here and have to settle for having my friend DVR all of them on her satellite TV so I can watch them when I go to her house.

Loved the fox hunt too... I have a bit of a Richard Hammond obsession though I have some of his books as well, the one about his accident and two others. His wife Mindy is an avid equestrian and writes a column that often discusses her horses and ponies: http://www.express.co.uk/search/mindy%20hammond/

My favorite episode is Kenny from the Block.

Best supercar car test is Vauxhall R8 Bathhurst (is it a supercar if it is a V8? Jeremy describes the sound of the supercharger as that of a moment that Lady Chatterly seems to achieve often) or the Atom or the Veyron vs. Typhoon.

Best car test overall is the Ford Focus (drives through the shopping mall; "I am breaking the speed limit....INDOORS!" and as part of an amphibious assault; "Smoke grenades fit nicely in the cup holders." and "Feel free to shoot out the window.").

Best challenge: Africa. The VW bug won.

Reed

P.S. Here is a link for James May's "Toy Stories" (missed the original spelling). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_May's_Toy_Stories

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post

Best car test overall is the Ford Focus (drives through the shopping mall; "I am breaking the speed limit....INDOORS!" and as part of an amphibious result).
    Best episode EVER. Love these guys!
    Seb
    \"The Truth is contagious, and I haven't washed my hands in days...!\"-- Stephen Colbert
    www.janearmour.com

Thanks.

Best for me is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL0JQJNnLWo

I love James and this is one of my top 5 cars ever. I just sold my fathers mint, original TR6 and I want it back. I actually cried when it drove away. The way it smelled, the way it sounded....nothing like it.

No car programs in NA would ever "get" that car and so aptly describe it.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I LOVED the foxhunt one.

My boyfriend has gotten me horribly addicted. We even download the current episodes so we don't have to wait a few seasons until they come on the in US.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I think this is my favorite -

Lorry racing- Alpine course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkE029a8bys

I think my new sig line should be "That's not gone well"

I love this show. I am watching as I type.

One of my favorite episodes is when the cross the English Channel in three different vehicles but only one makes it. Good stuff, that show!

yeah dotn we love them haha
    they are s funnny an di love it when it goes wrong haha
    and i like the stig race with the celebrities having a go

I forgot anything with Sabine Schmitz (especially the van challenge)! There is an honest driver.

Reed