The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Expired SMZ should I toss it?

I have a bottle of expired SMZ and was wondering if they are okay to use in a pinch or no way and I should pitch them?

I use expired up to about a year. After that I toss. So if everyone says toss and it has been under a year, please send them to me. I live by the same rule for myself!

expiration dates are created for a reason.
    would you drink milk a year out of date? no, you wouldn't

so don't take a pill used to kill bad bacteria if it becomes less potent after expired. that means you are just creating more super powered bad bacteria.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

My vets even say up to a year after expiration is fine. Petstorejunkie you can't honestly compare milk to a powder or pill.

Is not really a "best before" date - most powder medications and tablets are stable long term (not all, but most). companies just cant SELL them after the date.

Ive used expired meds before, for myself, dogs, cats and horses. Generally I also use the 1 year rule. I think I still have some tylenol left from 2007 in my cupboard!

Any reconstituted drugs should always be used up per manufacturers orders, and same with liquids.

I just used some SMZ's that were a bit over one year past expiration date (don't ask). I wouldn't normally use something that far out of date, but the horse showed no ill effects and I suspect he benefited.
    I generally use up to one year past date as a guideline for most meds.
    Y'all ain't right!

Default Good for at least a year after expiration

Pharmacies can legally fill prescriptions and dispense them up to the expiration date on the bottle. The prescription vial will have an expiration date that is one year from the dspensing date, therefore drugs are stable for at least 1 year past the date on the bottle. Most tablets and capsules are stable beyond their expiration date (as are a lot of foods BTW) but the drug companies have not studied the stablilty for those extended periods. Do I use SMZ beyond the expiration date? - definitely but that is my personal choice but it is stored in a cool dry place which extends its useful lifetime. Storage is a huge determining factor which must be considered in your decision.

My vet says up to a year after expiration date is fine.

My Vets said that the SMZs/Sulfas have a very long shelf life, and are effective far past expiration.

Guess it depends on how serious the condition you're trying to treat is...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Guess it depends on how serious the condition you're trying to treat is...
    give us a "fer instance"....I'd like to know

eta: I guess an 06 banamine is prob gone ??

Tamara in TN
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Aug. 8, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

You can also save them to grind up and add to your favorite scratches treatment.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by sixpoundfarm View Post
    My Vets said that the SMZs/Sulfas have a very long shelf life, and are effective far past expiration.
    I'm shocked to hear this. I sincerely hope that you and the above poster are stretching words because these are license losing statements FWIW.

Once upon a time I was in veterinary pharmaceuticals
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    give us a "fer instance"....I'd like to know

eta: I guess and 06 banamine is prob gone ??

Tamara in TN
    Well, let's just say that I consider hoarding of expired medication to be a foolish economy.
    When I prescribe an antibiotic, I do so because I think it's needed, and I'd not want to take a chance that the efficacy of the drug is diminished.

I've asked a few different vets about this, and the general consensus seems to be that while using outdated meds might not hurt the horse, it also might not help. The further past the expiration date, the more potency/efficacy the drug loses.

I'll do it in a pinch, only up to a year past the exp date, and only if I'm desperate. I prefer not to do it at all.

Pharmacies usually put a standard expiration date of one year from date of the prescription being filled.

The expiration date from the manufacturer (what is on the original bottle) is based on how long the company decided to conduct their stability studies (i.e. if they only went out two years to test how long it's good for, that's how long it will say.) Doesn't necessarily mean it's not still good, but it's not guaranteed either.

Well, let's just say that I consider hoarding of expired medication to be a foolish economy.
    When I prescribe an antibiotic, I do so because I think it's needed, and I'd not want to take a chance that the efficacy of the drug is diminished.
    true enough...but I get the 500 pill tubs of, say tri-bris, and then even among 23(ish) head of horses I don't manage to use them before they expire...same with banamine and romp and ace normally(not counting this last two exciting weeks)...

I just don't notice they are waaayyyyy expired til I need them

Tamara in TN
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Technically, any TMP/SMZ, for example, in your possession, by the letter of prescribing law, ought to be for one horse for one condition, and therefore the appropriate amount for a single treatment.
    Therefore, if you follow the DVM's instructions, you ought to have none left at the end of treating the single horse.

Those of you who moan and groan about DVMs "selling drugs" should take heed. If the feds start looking at the prescriptions a lot of y'all are getting, they're going to be displeased. And it may well be on the horizon, with the increase in antibiotic resistant bugs...

How many of you are given a bulk stash of antibiotics and sedatives by your pediatrirican--"just in case"?

Technically, any TMP/SMZ, for example, in your possession, by the letter of prescribing law, ought to be for one horse for one condition, and therefore the appropriate amount for a single treatment.
    Therefore, if you follow the DVM's instructions, you ought to have none left at the end of treating the single horse.

How many of you are given a bulk stash of antibiotics and sedatives by your pediatrician--"just in case"?
    well said,we get the "tubs" as the vet is only even in this county 3 days a week and then only for about 3-4 hours each...anything else, at any other time, would be an emergency call from the main clinic one hour away...or haul into the vet school 1.5 hours the other way,they are not vets to choose from as they all want to do dogs and cats...it is far far worse even for the cattle farmers

they simply say, "do you have some<x>...give them <x> "sometimes that is combined with "til I get there" and sometimes "call me in the morning"
    but we've been together a long time

ETA for total disclosure the tub is 100 pills not 500...just checked at mid day feeding

Tamara in TN
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Aug. 9, 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Those of you who moan and groan about DVMs "selling drugs" should take heed. If the feds start looking at the prescriptions a lot of y'all are getting, they're going to be displeased. And it may well be on the horizon, with the increase in antibiotic resistant bugs...

How many of you are given a bulk stash of antibiotics and sedatives by your pediatrirican--"just in case"?

Yep, technically true. But, you'd have a pretty angry vet if you called him at 10pm saturday night asking for a new prescription of SMZ's because your horse has a small puncture...and the SMZ's you have on hand are prescribed for another horse you own.

I always have antibiotics, banamine and bute on hand... I try to keep them up to date (and will not give injectables or reconstituted drugs past expirary) but I do have a bottle of SMZ's that expired last month that I wouldnt hesitate using if need be.