The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RIP *Grange Finn Sparrow

I sadly inform you all that the wonderful Connemara stallion, *Grange Finn Sparrow, was laid to rest in the hills of WV, on August 4th. He was 35.

Grange was not only athletically stellar himself, he consistently sired lovely movers and incredible jumpers. He himself did jumpers in Ireland, and was twice named the Top Scoring Grade A Pony while he was there. After his importation to the US, he continued doing jumpers, successfully showed in the hunter ring, and foxhunted.

Some of his most notable eventing offspring (1st generation only, although there are many 2nd & 3rd generation babies competing too): Windswept, Galway's Blazer, Briar Fox Mundungus, Nordic Sparrow Hawk, Wil'Ya Love Me, Meadow Sparrow, Grange Finn Sparrow's Boy, Speckled Sparrow, Rivendell's Mr Bubbles, Sparrow Cappuccino, Sparrow's Tiptoes, and Sparrow's Owen.

Many of his eventing offspring have made it to the 2* or 3* level (both purebreds and half-breds) and Windswept even went to Rolex.

He also sired top hunter ponies, Navigator, Oakfield's May Sparrow, Tootsie Roll, Boomerang, and Grange Finn Shadow.

Many of his progeny have been successful show jumpers (especially in Europe), some have competed to 3rd & 4th level dressage, and he even has a grandson that competed very successfully in Preliminary Level Combined Driving.

Grange was dearly loved by his human "family", and his many admirers.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

This is so sad. But, oh my, what a good, long life he lived. I wish that for my "boys". Remember all the good times and they will hold you over during this tough time. Godspeed "young" man. I know you are showing them how it is done by now!!!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies