The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Camping at Devon?

I am headed to DAD for an IBC class for our breed at the end of Sept. I'm not clear from the prize list if there is any camping either on the grounds or nearby?

We have a LQ trailer and we would prefer to stay in it if possible. I did find some RV campgrounds about 30 minutes away but I was curious if those of you familiar with the place know of anything closer?

Thanks!

Well, the showgrounds is in the middle of the city now....

I am not aware of any camp grounds nearby. However, you could possibly check Valley Forge Park, but again, not sure they have any. The trailer parking is about 20 minutes away right next to the PA Turnpike and has no camper hook ups.

IMHO, you would be best to stay in a hotel. This show is not really set up like newer showgrounds.

The ground are very small and even getting in and out for loading and unloading is a logistic nightmare. If you were going to arrive on Monday, a delay of 30 minutes at the gate waiting for the traffic director to indicate that a spot is open near your barn would be typical.

Therefore, there is no camping on the grounds and the official trailer parking lot is 20-30 minutes away, next to the free way, on asphalt parked bumper to bumper. Not somewhere you would want to habitate even if you could survive without a utility hookup.

Better off going with an official campground. I think many of the competitors end up at hotels that are almost as far as what you mentioned.

There isn't even much trailer parking on the Devon showgrounds, really. I know that people end up parking in the Kmart parking lot nearby, and last year they starting getting people in trouble for it. Even regular parking is a problem--someone's brand new Mercede's window was smashed, supposedly because of a parking dispute!

I would go to a hotel, personally!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice.

I did find a campground about 30 minutes away so we'll probably go there. It doesn't sound like it will be any less convenient than parking 30 minutes away if you forget something and have to run back to the trailer. We'll just get a tack stall and keep our stuff in there.

I stayed at the West Chester KOA a few years back.. it backs up to the Brandywine river, and I found it to be a very clean, nice place to stay. Took about 30 minutes to get to from the show grounds (maybe a hair more with traffic). But it was reasonably priced and overall fairly quiet compared to a lot of campgrounds.

Thumbs up for West Chester KOA...and it is near my farm! I will drop you an e-mail to see what your travel plans are.

Looking forward to hanging with you.... 6 Nokotas coming. Smaller class then our ten entries last year but some situations have changed for people this year and they can't come.

Cheers for your first DAD IBC!

-Jill
    *Every horse is a self-portrait of the rider....Autograph your work with excellence.*
    Supporting Nokotas www.nokotahorse.org
    Lipizzan's rock! http://rigitta.blogspot.com/

Thanks Jill! I appreciate the info.