The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Visiting from H/J land - Advertising a TB mare as a Broodmare to Racehorse Owners?

Okay. I have one contact in Kentucky that I might be able to help me (he was Cigar's vet and is a longtime family friend). But other than that, how and where would you advertise a TB mare with wonderful bloodlines to Racehorse breeders?

I got her as an OTTB to be my jumper, which she has told me in no uncertain terms, she does not want to be.

She has awesome bloodlines (Secretariat is her great great grandfather among Nashrulla, Bold Ruler, Native Dancer, etc).

She herself was a bleeder so did not make it on the track (don't know if that's hereditary), but she has awesome conformation and so would make a lovely broodmare.

You can look up her bloodlines under Best May West - 2002 Bay Mare

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Gone West is nice. Secretariat, Nashua, Bold Ruler and Native Dancer aren't bad to have but they're a dime a dozen unless they're through a good RECENT horse. Even then I still wouldn't but one with too much Native Dancer myself.

Honestly, there's nothing about her unless she's a STUNNER physically to make her especially desirable in this market. She bombed on the track (and unless we're talking buckets of blood even with Salix, practically everyone is a 'bleeder' these days so that's not likely it) and wasn't even competitive at Finger Lakes--and her charts just say 'outrun.' If she really is SUCH a bad bleeder Lasix/Salix doesn't help, she shouldn't be bred. The charts just suggest she's not a good racehorse. Her sire has some good offspring, despite not having been a spectacular perfomer, but her dam doesn't have much that I can find--I did find one reference to a yearling of hers selling for $9000 at F-T in 1998.

There's a glut of mediocre horses on the market. Her pedigree's not awful but it's not rare or especially great, either. She wasn't a good racehorse and her dam doesn't seem to have produced much of note, either. I don't think she has much value.

If she just doesn't want to be a jumper why not try her in another discipline?
    -Jessica

We are, she loves to foxhunt which is what I do mostly anymore anyway. But I think she would florish with an eventer rider which I don't have the guts for

Thanks for the insight on her bloodlines. All I know is that Secretariat was awesome and I always hear about the others so I thought that made her "good."

She is built wonderfully except for a weak hind end which we are working on building back up.

I am her 3rd owner so I have no idea about the bleeding issue as far as how bad it was. I've not had any issues with her since I got her other than her being ring sour hence the not wanting to be a jumper.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...te/MaeLeft.jpg
    Friend of bar.ka!
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Yep, nothing that will be attractive (meaning bloodlines) to breeders, especially in this market.

Hmm, sad to hear but good to know

Guess I'll keep her over in the sporthorse market then. I think she would cross nicely w/ QH's which are what I'm used to anyway.
    Friend of bar.ka!

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

I am really impressed with the assessment you made of this mare.. although the info is out there, how you put it together is excellent information.
    I just acquired a mare, thinking much the same as the OP..
    would you mind looking at Five Star Era?

Like the OP's horse, she flunked racing, but has stunning conformation and temperment. No (known) bleeding issue.

Thanks
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

I've contacted the stallion's owner's via email and though I doubt I'll get a response, it'd be nice if I can at least get some more insight to my mare's past. I've had no luck with contacting her first owner who started her under saddle and jumping and can't find any pictures of her dam.

Even if I never sell her, she's a sweetheart of a mare and will do anything for a starlight mint

I'd love to get some foal pictures of her... but I think that's wishful thinking.
    Friend of bar.ka!

Quote Originally Posted by brightskyfarm View Post
    I am really impressed with the assessment you made of this mare.. although the info is out there, how you put it together is excellent information.
    I just acquired a mare, thinking much the same as the OP..
    would you mind looking at Five Star Era?

Like the OP's horse, she flunked racing, but has stunning conformation and temperment. No (known) bleeding issue.

Thanks

The only Five Star Era I see is a colt.... what is the spelling of her name?
    -Jessica

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by AppJumpr08 View Post
    The only Five Star Era I see is a colt.... what is the spelling of her name?
    dah, sorry, did I post the wrong horse? I have him ...yes, gelded... nice horse.
    the mare is rock n frankie...
    >>must get more sleep
    IN GOD WE TRUST

Rock N Frankie couldnt win in 17 starts, her dam hasnt produced any black type. No value to race breeders. A general rule of thumb is if the mare herself wasnt a quality runner, and if her dam didnt produce black type, or any other daughters that produced serious black type, she won't have any value to TB breeders. This mare would produce a foal that won't have any black type for 2 generations.

yes, thats her,.
    slow....... and hopefully that *slow* will shine in the hunter ring.
    IN GOD WE TRUST

Good luck with her Bright Sky. Hope she tears up the H/J ring for you! Every horse has value, it just needs to be tapped into by its human.