The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Breeding--Who to Breed to??

So I admit, I am no conformation guru. I know what body type I like and what types do best for what discpline they will be used for, but when it comes to picking apart a horse for breeding purposes and finding a suitable stallion, I am totally lost.

I am attaching a few pictures of my mare. I have been thinking of breeding her at some point in the future. Maybe next season, or the season after. I would like to add a little more bone to her, and better feet (if thats possible) In the pictures, she looks a little over at the shoulder--she isn't it's just the way she's standing, I promise She is registered GOV by Argosy out of Rollickings Best xx. Her Dam is in the Main Mare Book with the GOV, and before I breed her (if I do) she will definitly be approved with the GOV first.

That being said, is she even worthy of being bred? I thought so, thats why I am asking opinions--but what do you all think--since you see wonderful, breedworthy mares daily

Any tips would be appreciated. TIA!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kadee1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	30313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kadee2.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	30314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kadee3.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	30315  
    Last edited by sar2008; Aug. 6, 2010 at 09:09 AM.

What discipline are you aiming for? I like her.

I'm not sure what discipline you are aiming for but you caught my attention with your "good feet" request Amazing has incredible feet-he's still barefoot at 5 and doing just fine that way. His feet are like big dinnerplates and just the other day my farrier was commenting on what fabulous thick hoof walls he has. He is bred to jump the moon with some of the best European jumping lines available in a package that has Hunter looks and movement.

Your girl is gorgeous...she's sure got the Argosy neck! One of my clients also has an Arogosy mare, and is breeding her to Amazing next year.

Good luck in your shopping!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

I might look at Ciero B for your mare. He is a big boy and looks to be adding nice bone on his foals. I saw him in person in Ocala this year and he appeared to have nice feet but you could ask his owner further on this.

He is winning everything right now in the jumper ring. I think he needs to be recommended more frequently in these threads. He is also approved GOV.
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

What are you doing with her? What do you want to do with the foal? Personally, from the pic, I don't think she looks super fine boned, I don't know how much heavier I would try to get, but I wouldn't mind more length of leg, that is what struck me first...

I really like Cielo B too. He's on my stallions to watch list and I look forward to seeing his foals under saddle. I also like what I see in Amazing--are you competing him horsechick--I'd love to see video? But I'd breed to one for a jumper and the other for a hunter...not saying they couldn't cross over, that's just me.

I'd be curious to see a front and hind view of the mare.
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

She's a cute mare but without knowing what your breeding for it's impossible to suggest a stallion.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

You should have Susan Doner take a look at her in person. She is Argosy's owner and just down the road from haymarket.

i haven't looked at her pics, so this is no comment about her conformation. But. Is there something really spectacular about the mare that you want to reproduce(temperament, movement) ? If not, I'd skip the breeding. If you want a baby, there are spectacular babies out there at just about the cost of doing your own breeding.

Why do I say this? Because I have seen foal after foal of average quality coming out of average quality mares. The stallion can only do just so much . And for the COST to produce these average babies, it seemed such a waste.

And while, babies are fun, worrying about your mare while she is pregnant is really not so great, and there is always a chance you will lose her or she gets sick during or after foaling and founders.

So, if you love her as a riding horse, but there is nothing REALLY notable to pass on, then leave her as a riding horse and buy a professional breeder's baby. Just look at the crop that Mo Swanson has a Rolling Stone Farm and ask yourself, can I produce that nice a baby for the purchase price? Probably not, cuz she has one hell of a broodmare band.

Just my 2 cents. I have bred 3 foals. One had rhodococcus at 6 months old. All told 12K in vet bills. The other my vet allowed to aspirate milk and ended up at Morven and had 7K in vet bills before he was a week old. Not counting the foaling out bill, or the breeding bills. I'm telling you, buying someone else's baby is CHEAPER.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    I'm telling you, buying someone else's baby is CHEAPER.
    Yes. And much can go wrong, like you said.
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    You should have Susan Doner take a look at her in person. She is Argosy's owner and just down the road from haymarket.

i haven't looked at her pics, so this is no comment about her conformation. But. Is there something really spectacular about the mare that you want to reproduce(temperament, movement) ? If not, I'd skip the breeding. If you want a baby, there are spectacular babies out there at just about the cost of doing your own breeding.

Why do I say this? Because I have seen foal after foal of average quality coming out of average quality mares. The stallion can only do just so much . And for the COST to produce these average babies, it seemed such a waste.

And while, babies are fun, worrying about your mare while she is pregnant is really not so great, and there is always a chance you will lose her or she gets sick during or after foaling and founders.

So, if you love her as a riding horse, but there is nothing REALLY notable to pass on, then leave her as a riding horse and buy a professional breeder's baby. Just look at the crop that Mo Swanson has a Rolling Stone Farm and ask yourself, can I produce that nice a baby for the purchase price? Probably not, cuz she has one hell of a broodmare band.

Just my 2 cents. I have bred 3 foals. One had rhodococcus at 6 months old. All told 12K in vet bills. The other my vet allowed to aspirate milk and ended up at Morven and had 7K in vet bills before he was a week old. Not counting the foaling out bill, or the breeding bills. I'm telling you, buying someone else's baby is CHEAPER.
    Susan is a great friend of mine. I rode her youngsters and worked for her for a year before having my second little one and having to retire to a full time job. Susan actually found Kadee for me She seems to think the mare is worth breeding--and those that know Susan know she is all about breeding "up" so to speak I think she is spectacular. Her movement is unbelievable and her jump is AMAZING. Her temperment is pretty fab too Pretty breed worthy in my book also.

Thanks for all the responses! I will for sure check out the stallions you all mentioned. I would be breeding her with hopes of getting something to do the upper level jumpers on. A stallion with a strong dressage background would be helpful too. I had a Lepanto (Rubenstein) gelding that was just fabulous. I would have cloned him if it wasn't so darn expensive....