The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To those with sensitive Chestnuts...

How do you keep their hair on their faces from falling out? My guy wears a fly mask, but the areas where it isn't touching is pretty much bald, mainly in the area around the blaze. Thanks!

I wash my gelding's face at least once a week with baby shampoo and a soft bath mitt. Any other day that his face gets sweaty I rinse off the sweat with a clean towel and cool water.

Becky & Red
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I just call mine "fungus face" or "scarface" depending on my mood...

This summer the face crud is worse than normal, defeating even his regular rinse/bathing, so I decided a little higher test treatment was in order: good ol' coal tar shampoo, picked up the Tar-Jay knock off of Neutragena and it's done a nice job on the head. Still working hard in the hind cannon keratosis, but it's coming along.

This year has been so bad, my other (bay) horse who has it on his hind legs year round and adds his face for the summer ... he is even battling it down his back. Sigh...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Yea, this has been a really bad year for my guys too...I really wish summer would just end and fall would get here!

I'll have to try the coal tar shampoo...in this heat, he is staying sweaty pretty much permanently!

Keep the mask and the horse's face EXTREMELY clean. Also have a few different styles and shapes of fly masks, and rotate them. I have 4 fly masks for my mare, that I rotate. I also brush/curry the crap out of the fleece lining on her masks every day to get all the dirt out, and to "fluff" the fleece. I find if I let the fleece get flattened down, she gets rubs very quickly.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I rinse off his face every day and rub with either my bare hands or one of those scrubby cloth bath gloves made for people (I.e., pretty gentle), then towel dry. I sometimes put some aloe cream on the really bad spots. The fact that he stands and allows his turnout buddy to bite him in the face all the time really doesn't help the cause, though!