The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anybody else watch Pawn Stars?

I don't watch much tv, but I LOVE this show! It's both fascinating and hilarious. It is incredible some of the stuff people walk in with that has been sitting in their grandparents' attic, or was left behind in a storage room or something by a former occupant. Everything from buttons made for the inauguration of George Washington to a Shelby Cobra. Some people bring in old stuff that they think is valuable just because it is old, and when the guy asks them how much they want for it they ask for a ridiculous amount and don't understand why he will only offer them 1/20 of what they want for it. One guy wanted to sell a gun he paid a lot for because his wife was angry he spent that much on an antique. So he wanted a lot of money for it and was annoyed when the pawn guy didn't believe it was worth that much. So they bring in an expert and the guy explains how valuable those kinds of guns are (very!) and the man who owned it kept giving the pawn guy a smug, I-told-you-so look but then the expert said that unfortunately the gun was a replica and not worth much at all. The man pretty much had a hissy fit because he totally got ripped off when he originally purchased it!

So, anyone else watch and love this show?

Yes.

It's kinda like the gutter version of Antiques Roadshow.

Chumlee cracks me up!

i love the show. The part i hate is that Chumley, Rick and his son all have diabetes starting. For god's sake, get some excercise!!!!!

We want more episodes.

I would like to see more video of truly desperate folks turning stuff in, like you know must happen in Vegas! Hocking wedding rings, the true low life stuff. Just me tho!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Both I and Mr. ESG are total Pawn Stars addicts. I love me some Old Man!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Yes.

It's kinda like the gutter version of Antiques Roadshow.

My thoughts exactly. And you know what two things I really like? Gutters and Antiques Roadshow.

The show started at a time when my hubby's little sis and her no-good boyfriend were stealing everything they could from their parents and pawning it. I had never realized just what a rip off pawning was until she sold a brand-new $100 camera for $20, then her dad had ot go back and buy it frothem for $80. (Don't get me started... they never wanted to file police reports...)

Anyway, I'm impressed at how fair the guys one the show are in what seems to be a pretty schmucky business. They make it clear that they're in it for a profit, but they don't screw people on purpose.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Pawning is amazing. I mean, why take it there if you think it is valuable>> the internet should have put pawn stores out of biz....

Another addict...along with Ice Road Truckers (boy, does that take some
    cahones) and Pickers is growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    I'm over Ice Road Truckers now (I was addicted the first season... when they were on actual ice roads...) but I'm loving Pickers too. Have you tried watching Whale Wars? I'm not the tree hugging type (), but the show is addicting.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    Have you tried watching Whale Wars? I'm not the tree hugging type (), but the show is addicting.
    Oh, yes. DH never misses. We send considerable sums to the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

The loss of the Ady Gil infuriated us. Dear Japanese Whaling Fleet - that trick just made my DH send Sea Shepherd a REALLY big check. And guess what, we try REALLY hard not to buy anything made in Japan.

I love pawn stars. I am totally addicted to it. what amazes me are the historic items people bring in-things that should be in a museum.

what channels are all these shows on and when?

I love pawn stars! The BF and I watch it a lot. We also watch Dirty Jobs and I used to watch Ice Road Truckers although I haven't seen it in a couple of years.

I LOVE Dirty Jobs!

I love Pawn Stars, Pickers and Ice Road truckers. Can you imagine driving a truck where those people go? These are three shows that my DH and I will watch together...

I love Pawn Stars too- I told my sis she needs to watch because she is an Antique Roadshow addict--I tell her its like AR meets Sturgis (big biker run).

I also love American Pickers -- I am a bit of a junker myself. I love going to thrift stores and, I'm a little embarrassed to admit- The dump! Have to qualify that the dumps around here have "Swap Shops" where basically you can leave stuff that is still good but don't want anymore, or go and take the stuff for free. It's like shopping where you get to steal anything you want and no one cares!

I am amazed at the knowledge of all these guys, they really know a great deal about history and well, stuff.

I watched whale wars, but the last few times I was kind of board wtih it. One of the guys on it is the son of a man who owned a mom and pops grocery store on the Cape that I used to ride my bike to as a kid. Such a small world. I hate what the Japanese do to the whales- and also to dolphins - dolphin fin soup comes at a big cost - for anyone who eats it!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves this show! I don't actually get the channel where I'm living right now, but someone put them all on youtube so I can watch as much as I want! It's so amazing what some people have lying around that is really worth thousands and has so much historical importance.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    I am with you on all 3 of those shows!!!

Love the old man in Pawn Stars and some of his comments. Amazing the knowledge Rick and the old man have and if they don't know something, they will bring in an expert to look at the item. I have learned so much from that show.

Yep, I love Ice Road truckers too. I pull for Lisa, she is a hell of allot braver than I am!

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    what channels are all these shows on and when?
    All of them are on the History Channel.

DH and I are also fans of Pawn Stars. I think they must write lines for Chumlee, because no one can be that dumb !!

It is amazing that so many people have historical treasures. I'm surprised that people who do research on the internet to find out what something is worth, actually take it to a pawn shop instead of a specialty shop (like for stamps or coins). Maybe the pawn shop is closer???

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

I'm not sure that it's because the pawn shop is closer; I think it's more because some folks know they have something of value (like that guy that had the Colt pistol that was one in a series of only four made, and two had been presented to Teddy Roosevelt ), but don't have any idea as to the proper resources to value something like that. I know that the antique weapons expert that Rick called in (Sean, I think his name is?), was nearly peeing himself over that gun. I think, as a result of the exposure the show has given them, that the general public know that, should they have an item they suspect is valuable, that they can bring it in and Rick & co will help them determine its provenance and value.

And I LOVE Chumlee. He looks just like his namesake, and I loved that cartoon when I was a kid.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I've seen it a few times. Entertaining.