The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing Scene in LA / California?

There's a possibility my company may be transferring me to our North Hollywood office in Los Angeles, CA. So, I've done a few preliminary google searches to look up barns in the area and get some starting impressions.. but I was wondering if anybody on here could give some more in-depth insight?

What's the evening scene like out there? How far of a commute from that area would one be looking at to get to a decent barn?

Right now, I've been riding for over a decade (not including the 'break' I took in my poverty years).. but I don't own a horse. I'm taking lessons several times a week, however, from a local trainer here in Central Florida. If I transfer, I'd probably want to continue on that route for a while until I'd gotten well settled in and adjusted to life 2,500 miles from 'home.' Are there typically any eventing barns out there with horses for the non-owner to take lessons on?

I would, however, be planning on a horse purchase within perhaps about a year of moving, however. So.. what's the board like out there? Price range? I heard from a coworker who does H/J that turnout is rare out there.

How about events? I know the 'season' down here is typically the reverse of up north, with all the northerners coming down to FL to show in the winter. What's it like out there in Cali?

Anyway... just wanted to get a little insight. The transfer isn't a done deal yet, just a whisper coming down the pipeline.. but I want to start thinking about all the possible logistics before I make my decision.

So, if anybody has any local experiences to share, I'd be very grateful for the info! Thanks!

I rode forever in the LA area until I moved to the Central Coast about a year ago. There are plenty of opportunities. I rode for many years with Cory Walkey at Mill Creek in Topanga Canyon and can't say enough positive things about her training and instruction. They are an event/dressage barn and do very well competitively in both. In addition, advanced rider Robyn Fisher is also teaching/training there now. In your case, the best thing might be that they have a great school horse program, so you can continue to ride and take lessons until you have your own horse. Another great possibility is Debbie Rosen - just jumped around Rolex. She's also excellent, tho I don't know if she can provide for students w/o their own horses. She would be a bit longer commute from N. Hollywood than Mill Creek. I can't say what the board would be now as it's been a while since I boarded there - it's not cheap. And turnout is almost non-existent at any facility.

For the last 20 years, I rode at Flintridge Riding Club which is a membership club - mostly H/J & dressage. However, they do have a XC course and Wendy Wergeles comes in to teach. Also, they have an onsite event in the Spring. And you can get good lessons in the field w/ the H/J trainers (don't worry, they teach in the field a lot). Very close to N. Hollywood - maybe 15 minutes. And they have some schoolies.

The event season is year-round; Feb-Nov, tho (except for the FRC event) they are a minimum of a 2-hour drive.

Have fun!

Awesome, that's just the sort of info I was looking for. Thank you!

No official word yet on the transfer, but it's likely either going to be a case of getting transferred or getting laid off and finding something new locally. In any case, I want to go into that choice with full knowledge of what my options are. So, thanks for the input!

My friend is in Simi Valley...she's fantastic and the barn is a blast...great people, no drama. I'll PM you.

Another possibility: Gina Economou is very close to N. Hollywood. Don't know about schoolies, but you can ask. Have watched her teach at events and she does a great job.

Definately give Gina Economou a call. She is located in La Tuna Cyn/Sun Valley which is a very easy commute from North Hollywood. Here is the link to her website

http://www.pepperwoodridingcenter.com/
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I really appreciate it.

I'm putting all these in my notes as places to potentially check out when the time comes, thanks!

I know this is an older thread but I had to give my opinion when I saw this!
    I agree 1000000% with Mill Creek. Robyn is a fantastic event trainer, her students always do amazing and she's really nice I've heard great things about Cory Walkey, Joe McKinley, Lindsay Smith, and the other trainers there as well. I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend Mill Creek!