The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Reducing fresh scar tissue?

Without getting into a lot of detail, I have a mare I'm currently dealing with who sustained a small laceration to the side of her fetlock about 4 weeks ago. Owner had trouble getting it to heal- mare kept reopening it from lying down and stomping flies. Hibitane was being used after lightly washing it/keeping it clean. Apparently the wound never got warm or even very swollen, and mare was on antibiotics for something else at the time anyways.

It has pretty much closed and is beginning to heal up completely, but there seems to be a lot of scar tissue (possibly was a bit of proud flesh present.. it's pretty "pointy" looking). Aesthetically, it looks really abnormal which is a problem for a show horse!

Any ideas how to clear it up, or at least reduce its appearance?

If it's proud flesh, you'll need to treat it different, for now, than if it's the typical scar tissue. This means either Wonder Dust, or surgically slicing it off, SOMEthing to get rid of it.

If it's truly regular scar tissue, then keeping soft will help a lot. Not all scar tissue will regrow hair, and some scar tissue can take a long time to reduce as much as it's going to reduce.

If it's just beginning to heal completely, and you suspect proud flesh, my first choice would be Panalog/Animax - antibacterial and steroidal

Equaide. Miracle for proud flesh and scar tissue. Just google it

Preparation H, really! It works!

There are plenty of Proud Flesh remedies out there, but not having seen the wound, I would ask your vet which one is appropriate for that particular wound. Beyond that I would also keep it wrapped until it is pretty much healed. I like using whatever Proud Flesh ointment you like to use - I like Trypzyme spray - and then when the wound has no more proud flesh, I switch to Triple Antibiotic ointment and Prep. H, or Silvedene if you can get some - it's $$.

Meat tenderizer...really
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Reducine. really.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    Reducine. really.
    Wow, really? I have some of that! How often should it be applied? Does it go right over the scar, or around it?

Thank you for all the replies, I wasn't expecting so many suggestions! I wrote down all the other products listed and will pass it on.

Thanks again!

Default Reducine

Right on the scar, liberally, daily until it forms a cover or crust. Leave until it does it';s thing. when it is finished, repeat.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Default t-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    Reducine. really.
    Where can I get the "what hill, where??" t-shirt? It's great!

Panalog cream works great on proud flesh.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

AFox 2332.....sorry, I don't remember !! The shirt is SO appropriate!!! Bought it for my older sister years ago....her memory is better than mine.

Default Horse bathing routines

Hi all, I have to bathe a couple of my horses today and was thinking about the order I use, ie. tail, mane, body, rinse, repeat. What is your routine. Do you comb the tail out first, or wash, then condition, THEN comb? Any cool tricks you've discovered.

I've washed them a million times, don't have a ward water wash rack now, which is sooooo much easier. Thanks,,,