The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter vs Dressage shadbelly coats

Other than the buttons, what's the difference? Just something that's been bouncing around my head and was curious. I've tried to look at catalog pix but can't tell much. TIA!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

I *heard* dressage ones have weights in the tails? And that they need to be removed if you use it for the hunters... Just what I have heard, no clue if it is true though.

Dressage shads do have weighted tails (to keep from flapping) and are usually lined in a leather or vinyl so that the dirt and sweat from the horse can be easily wiped off. Also style-wise, I think most dressage tails are more squared off whereas hunters are more rounded.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

O-o-o-h-h...hmm. A local tack store has some dressage shads at a reasonable price and was curious if you could just change the buttons (didn't know about the weighted tails). Thoughts? I'd love to have one but I'd only really get to wear it once a year or so.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Default PS

Wasn't there a thread on where to find used shads? I couldn't find it when I searched.

Here are some good pictures to show the differences in cut:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...6&cm_vc=Search

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...e-_-NA-_-17553

Besides the ones you can see, I wouldn't want to have to release over a fence in a tight fitting dressage shad- no room across the shoulders.