The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Your trainer coaching you at shows??

I'm a newbie and I'm currently taking lessons from my BO who is also a trainer. She is helping me tune up my horse for local shows.

I'd like her to coach me at the shows. I'm curious what trainers charge for coaching? What is usually included in the fee? Thanks.

It varies wildly by location, discipline, and trainer. Best to just ask your trainer what she charges for horse shows. Be sure to ask what is included in that fee.

My trainer usually charges about the same amount as a lesson, but she'll only go to a show if 3 or more people are going.
    We go to shows that are usually an hour or less away. These are jumper shows, cross country schooling, or full events.
    If the show is further away I believe that she charges a little more- approx $10/per person.

My shows are all local dressage schooling shows: often I'm her only student there. In those cases where it's just us, she often rides with me to the venue, and I buy her lunch, provide a cooler full of beverages, and she charges me a lesson for her services. She calls my tests and coaches before/after. If there are multiple students there and it gets tight, she's cut me a deal on the day if she didn't think I got my fair share. Works great for us and is a real bargain, in my eyes.

My trainer does not charge to coach at shows. That being said it is because he is usually already at our shows showing his own horses. If I asked him to come with me to a show he was not attending I doubt that he would charge me unless it was an overnight trip. He is a GREAT guy
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

I dunno if my trainer charges anything mmmm..... I'll have to ask her.

I charge $40 (all day) and my lessons are $35 (1 hour private)

I get it that a trainer, especially if they have to spend all day at a show, will have a loss of income for that day. It's reasonable for the trainer to charge a day fee and you should cover all expenses. If you are the only customer going, then that entire expense falls on you. If there are multiple customers, then the expenses get split. The day fee is usually a standard fee and each customer pays it.

Standard day fees vary amongst trainers. If you are the only customer going, you might have to pay a larger day fee.

I agree with what someone else mentioned...just ASK. I'm sure your trainer would be happy to share the fees you will be expected to pay.

BTW, my day fee includes the trainer getting on and schooling prior to the start of the show, showing on "pro" day and schooling me on my show days.

I pay $50 per show day.

I pay $90 a day for a coaching fee (there are other fees as well but this is just coaching). This is the same whether there are 6 students going or just me. I always get plenty of personalized attention, and my trainers are GREAT so I am happy to pay it. I figure they are probably spending 2x the time of a lesson with me (through warmup, then a hunter division) which theoretically makes it a screaming deal.

My former eventing trainer charged $50.00 for show coaching if you were in full training and $75.00 if you weren't. That included warm up coaching for all three phases. I haven't been to a show yet with my new trainer, so I'm not sure what her rate will be.

My dressage trainer charges $35.00 per warm up, which for me comes to $70.00 per show since I usually ride two tests.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

The same price as what their going rate is for a lesson for each class plus all expenses for the day (travel, food, hotel is need be) covered (either by you or split between you and anyone else they are coaching).

Included would be making sure you and your horse have correct, legal tack and attire and checking your turnout to make sure it is passable, coaching in the warm up ring, coaching from the rail if that is allowed/acceptable at the type of show you attend, and analyzing the class after you are done to help make it a learning experience no matter what ribbon you got.

A dressage trainer I work with charges 25 per test. My previous eventing coach charged 75 for a full 3-phase event and 40 for a xc school or combined test. I have rarely gone to a show where no other students were riding but but none of these charge an extra fee in that case. Coaching includes warm-up, watching and discussing my rides, and helping me get tacked up if I'm running really behind. If he/she trailers my horse, there is a charge for gas.
    Always pay equal, if not more, attention to your own self carriage, than that of your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    It varies wildly by location, discipline, and trainer. Best to just ask your trainer what she charges for horse shows. Be sure to ask what is included in that fee.
    Exactly.

This is usually available posted at the barn or on a website. I would be a little leary of a barn/trainer who didn't have this published/available to clients. We have our complete price list with everything from boarding, mane pulling, hauling, and coaching posted on our message board at the barn as well as on our website.

Whatever you do, don't just wait until after the show to ask.... LOL you will most likely be very disapointed and shocked. LOL
    Concordia means "Harmony" in Latin.
    Full Time Dressage Addict