The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse losing all of his hair, literally bald

I have an older horse boarded at my farm. He's a very old 26, underweight, arthritis... always seems to be something with this poor guy. Now he is loosing all of his hair. Its coming out in clumps... completely bald over 40% of his body. Vet has been called.. anyone experience this?

Kim
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Maybe lice? Had a horse come to the stable with similar description and found out he had a bad case of lice.

Lice or mange. So since when is 26 "very old"? If he wasn't well taken care of and hasn't been in regular work, might have gone downhill fast. Anyway, the 23 and 24 yos I see are still competing locally and doing long trail rides (as in 20 miles). Bet other people have lots of old in the 20's stories!
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I think the OP meant that he was not aging well. My fiance's mother is a "very old" 70 (i.e. she looks and acts 90).

Jingles for the old guy - hope it gets figured out and he recovers.

I just meant he's an "old' 26 as opposed to a "young" vibrant, healthy 26. He's had a hard life and it shows. If it were lice, wouldn't I see "bugs"? I'm not seeing any critters.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA

Cushings?
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Is it very hot and humid where you are now? My mare loses lots of hair every summer due to fungus - she rubs herself until her hair all comes out.

I put MTG on her which caused even more hair to fall out... This year, we gave her a shot of depo-medrol, which kept things under control.

cushings? ir?

My mare lost most of her hair just before she stopped sweating... anhydrosis. Since then, she has lost the rest of her hair. It is lucky that she is so pretty, as some horses would look ugly bald.

I had an older mare show bizarre hair loss when she became hypo-thyroid. The test was low-cost and Thyro-L fixed her up.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

My first guess would be lice or mange, as has already been mentioned.

Please let us know what the vet says.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    So since when is 26 "very old"? If he wasn't well taken care of and hasn't been in regular work, might have gone downhill fast. Anyway, the 23 and 24 yos I see are still competing locally and doing long trail rides (as in 20 miles). Bet other people have lots of old in the 20's stories!
    OP has already explained what they meant by it.

But really, have you never noticed that some people/animals do not age as well as others? It has nothing to do with proper care and regular work and such. Genetics sometimes gets the best of even the most pampered and fit creatures.

26 is old. It can be really old for some horses and not so old for others.

It's sort of the wrong time of year for lice, but would be worth going over him minutely for the little bloodsuckers.

It is also prime shedding season right now--ALL of mine are dumping their summer coats like crazy.

Might be a combination of things--anything you could do to "pump him up" nutritionally? Some nice, soaked alfalfa pellets with rice bran and a potent vitamin/mineral booster mixed in? Does he get enough easy-to-utilize calories? Teeth? Worms? Heat getting to him?
    Click here before you buy.

Alopecia Areata?
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

The owner of this horse (I board him) is on vacation and wants vet to wait till she gets back. He was neglected at his last farm. He's probably a 3 on a scale of 10. (was simply bones when we got him, near death) We've been slowly bringing him back around so he is getting pumped with just about every vitamin, fat, yummy stuff that we possibly can, in a healthy dose. H'es been wormed, teeth done, shots, etc. He's getting the very very best of care. He's not itchy at all so he's not scratching it off, and it really did start when all this Virginia heat and humidy started. We've been in the high 90's, with terrible humidity for nearly two months... with no end in sight! I"ll take photos.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA

If he was so neglected, it could just be that his coat is changing (mine are shedding like crazy and have been for at least a month) and his new coat just isn't coming in yet because of the prior malnutrition. Don't panic for a bit--I'll bet there's some peach-fuzz coming through soon.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25695...06566483zEvhjV

My horse was ugly without hair! He lost all of his hair from 6" below the stifle and knee and up. Here he is just starting to grow it back (I have picks from when he was 100 grey, aka NO hair, but can't find them) Keep in mind this was february! Vets determined it was an autoimmune problem and he was successfully treated with steroids.

I knew a horse about 10 years ago who would lose most of his hair every summer, unless he was kept on Body Builder (might have been Weight Builder, it was $80 for a bottle that laster 2 or 3 months). He has a lot of food allergies, including oats.Luckily his owner loved him to pieces and had a lot of money to spend on pampering him.

Allergic reaction to bug spray?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Percheron X View Post
    Cushings?
    call avet and get him looked at rather than guess

but will add sounds more like cushings but still need a vet

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingGrape View Post
    The owner of this horse (I board him) is on vacation and wants vet to wait till she gets back. He was neglected at his last farm. He's probably a 3 on a scale of 10. (was simply bones when we got him, near death) We've been slowly bringing him back around so he is getting pumped with just about every vitamin, fat, yummy stuff that we possibly can, in a healthy dose. H'es been wormed, teeth done, shots, etc. He's getting the very very best of care. He's not itchy at all so he's not scratching it off, and it really did start when all this Virginia heat and humidy started. We've been in the high 90's, with terrible humidity for nearly two months... with no end in sight! I"ll take photos.
    I take from this that you've not had him long? I've twice had experience with bringing a horse home from a trainer (years ago) and the change of feed caused them to dump hair. Not totally bald, but very obvious. One got sunburn on her back. It takes time for the new stuff to grow in. Winter coat begins coming in about June, I believe, and mine are shedding now. So, if this is the case, dumping hair because of a drastic feed change, the timing might not be right for the new stuff to come in quickly.
    Mine went from oats and timothy hay to a mixed hay, grass and sweet feed. Yours is coming from poor care to LOTS of different stuff, so a more drastic change.