The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default another neighbor venting thread

I live in a condominium association. There are public housing apartments next to my development, which means that sometimes crime overlaps into my development. The typical crimes are drug deals, with the occasional shooting.

I have been lucky that my building has always been quiet with very nice neighbors.

A few months ago the people across the hall moved out & some kids moved in.

2 girls, look to be in their late teens. I have no idea who owns the condo or if anybody else lives with them. They spend all evening hanging out on the front stoop eating and smoking and throwing trash every where. The few neighborhood bad kids (the type that bang on windows and doors for fun) now hang out with them.

They are loud, obnoxious, rude, messy. They are often there every day til midnight.

So far they are harmless (though annoying) but I worry. The younger kids seem to look up to them and I worry that eventually this could lead to trouble. Right now they just like to bang on the windows, run through the building and bang on the doors and run away. I see them running away but it's too late to call the police or do anything about it. I can also STRONGLY smell weed coming thru their condo door.

Yesterday I watched one of the kids as he sat on the hood of someones vehicle and even tried to get the hood open. I know noone that is with them owns this vehicle, but I haven't been able to id which neighbor it belongs to to warn them.

I hate going from a nice quiet building to this trash that moved in. I attempted to befriend them b/c it's better to have some type of a positive relationship, but that went downhill when their dog pooped on my doormat and they didn't clean it up and then actually blamed my dogs (my dogs don't even have the physical bodies capable of producing that size of poop!).

In any case, just ranting. My condo doors are right on the sidewalk where they hang out. I called the police the other night but b/c of the workforce it took them a few hours to get out and by that time only 1 kid was left there, and they sent him home.

Put a CD player by your door and turn on some opera or classical music when they are sitting there. If nothing else, you can help foster their love of the arts.

If you call the police as soon as you see them trying to "break into" a car (even if it is the hood, it's still a crime isn't it), wouldn't that get the police out faster??? Plus, smelling weed, I'm sure that's a crime too? Don't any of your other neighbours have issues with them? Do you have a condo association that can do something about them or get rid of them (ie, evict them?)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

If you are in a condo, your Association should have rules about "nuisances" which is the direction this is heading. You actually have a right to "quiet enjoyment" of your unit and sometimes it takes intervention by the Board of Directors to remind residents of the Associations rules. Your Association should also have defined rules regarding quiet hours.

If the kids in that unit are renting, the Board can also send a letter to the owners. Check with your other neighbors as well. Odds are you aren't the only one having an issue with this and there is power in numbers!

Good luck, it sucks having bad neighbors.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Another vote for call the condo association. You pay those fees for something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkYWccNb0-4

Play this for them :-)

It's a cross of Harry Partch's microtonal tuning system (43 notes-to-the-octave as opposed to the standard western 12 notes-to-the-octave) with Japanese pop music from the 1980's.

I will certainly take all of these suggestions in consideration, and actually apply some of them too. My biggest is fear is them knowing that I am the one that called and them retaliating against me.

Oh, I m right there with you! I live in a townhouse in what is MOSTLY a nice neighborhood.
    Thanks to current market conditions, though, we've lately had our share of rental trash. The meth-heads on our street had traffic coming and going 24/7 - finally, an alert neighbor saw something that warranted a police visit and search, and they got arrested.
    Now we've got prostitutes and a crack house two blocks over. The same alert neighbor (because of where his house is located, he sees everything) is keeping his eyes peeled for the opportunity. . .
    I'm not against renters, but I do wish some of these landlords would do a decent background check.

As soon as my husband hits 55 (two years), we are moving to a "mature adults only" community! No crime and no children to deal with.

Back when I lived in an HOA community one of our community police officers would attend the HOA meetings. We could tell him where the problem houses were, and he would make a note of the unit numbers, but not who made the complaint names if they feared retaliation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzie View Post
    I will certainly take all of these suggestions in consideration, and actually apply some of them too. My biggest is fear is them knowing that I am the one that called and them retaliating against me.
    I don't blame you. I would suggest if you do make the complaint, that you ask to remain anonymous if possible and explain why. Presumably, your Board has the ability to tactfully handle complaints. I don't know about the laws in your state, but here in CA, you can complain anonymously, but the subject of the complaint does have the right to know who the complainant is if they ask.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Mara-a word of warning about 55+ communities. Make sure the bylaws state that no one under 55 can live or visit long term there. There are places that don't have this rule and you can end up with a crowd of people next door because of the second or third families, or a qualifying resident who had a family late and has a bunch of kids or grandkids living with them.

Jen-you might check with the condo association and see who is the legal resident of the problem apartment. The renters or whoever they are might not be legal renters or might be squatters. And the condo board or management needs to do something about unattended children running loose and trespassing.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White