Seriously considering applying for a regional manager's job (same agency) in a city 2 hours N of us. I've even gone so far as to half fill out the application.
no weekly travel
a change in responsibilities
I'd get to go to the main office in Richmond to shop///I mean to meetings
one of 6 managers in state agency
I know/like the people I'd be supervising
have to commute and eventually move
I couldn't have the flex schedule I have now
DH would have to hold down the fort for at least a few months
We'd have to sell the house
We'd have to move 8 dogs and 4 horses!
Don't know if we'd find a deal on land/home/farm
being someone who has struggled with this crappy job market for the past 9 months... i say if you are even maybe SLIGHTLY considering the idea that this job might be something you want to go for, just apply. you can decide if you want to take it later, after you've made it through multiple interviews and have the offer letter in your hot little hand.
what says DH? his support would be pretty crucial in a decision like this one!
Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique
It's definitely a buyer's market real-estate-wise, but that works against you if you're selling your place of course.
Does your current job have room for advancement?
If you're even considering a move like this, there must be some good motivation. Are you dissatisfied with your current post? Is the salary increase significant? Picture yourself 10 years down the road in your current situation vs. 10 years down the road in the alternative...what looks better?
3 (or 8) dog--you might have a problem if you move because of the number of animals, and I know you decided not to try for the job but remember in the future check the real estate costs including the move expenses and the quantity of housing that meets your need before sending the application. I once applied for a job that sounded perfect, but I checked the real estate costs and animal regs. after I applied, when they called for an interview I had to tell them I needed to withdraw because of the costs (I really felt awful about it too). And as you already said in the buyers market in housing now you could get stuck with two places, or a first house that has to be severely underpriced to sell. I hope all of the real estate markets stabilize soon.