The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Finding a leaser in Lexington, KY?

First off, I do not want this to come off as an ad. I am just asking for help

I am moving to Lexington KY to attend UK on August 20th. MY horse is being shipped down this weekend with ponies for pony finals. I had every intention of riding him and keeping him going while taking classes as I have been doing it all year here at home in PA without an issue.

However, I have injured my hip pretty badly and looks like I will be out of riding for quite some time. He is the type that does not do well just sitting and doing nothing, so it is in everyone's best interest to keep him in some kind of work schedule.

I know no one down in the area. I have no idea how to go about trying to find a lease. He is a nice horse but does require a special ride. I placed an ad on craigslist (*shudder* ) and have been bombarded by people offering to take him off my hands, not an option. People wanting to have him for their husband to trail ride, not an option (he is 17h which apparently makes him the perfect hubby mount despite his description!). Or reriders wanting to get back into riding, again not suitable for him.

So can anyone shed any light on where to go? It is quite obvious to me that craigslist is not going to work. Again not making this an ad, but it is a free lease, but I think *free* is bringing out the crazies! How can I find a sane, sensible rider looking to have a few free rides a week on a nice horse?

I have to unfortunately accept the fact I will not be able to ride for a while. That alone will frustrate the hell out of me. I have emailed my new barn owner to see if she is aware of anyone. But any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Just simply where to advertise that would actually be seen by the appropriate/suitable "crowd" would be a help.
    Last edited by fleur de duc; Aug. 4, 2010 at 06:31 AM.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

I think your best bet is to try and find someone through word of mouth. Call local tack shops, heck, even call local vets (maybe an employee would be interested).

Otherwise, maybe put an ad in your local paper?

Quote Originally Posted by tarynls View Post
    I think your best bet is to try and find someone through word of mouth. Call local tack shops, heck, even call local vets (maybe an employee would be interested).

Otherwise, maybe put an ad in your local paper?
    Problem is I do not even know what/who/where they are. I am not from Lexington. I am from outside of Philadelphia PA. Thats why I am hoping to get some ideas here as to where I can go to ask/post things.

There is not much cohesiveness in the sport horse world in Lexington! It can be hard to reach people that are actively involved.

Wise Choice Tack and Brumfields both have bulletin boards. You might try contacting the local hunter jumper barns too and see if any clients are looking...Robert Murphy, Champagne Run, Punchestown, Ballyhigh. Others at http://www.newhorse.com/page/horsebo...10.g.6268.html. Craigslist in this area is only good for free or very cheap horses.

Good Luck!

One of the girls I board with had success listing her hunter on dreamhorse. Found a wonderful girl to free lease her mare, so far it is working out perfectly for all involved.

I would try individual barns such as Punchestown or Champagne Run who may have clients looking to lease.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Default UK Equestrian Team

Contact Michelle Zimmer at Robert Murphy Stables. She coaches the UK Equestrian Team and they ride out at Murphy's with her. I am sure she could have some of the team members exercise your horse for you while you are injured. You may want to join the team too, so you can make some riding/horse contacts in the area. Robert Murphy's has a website.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndboy View Post
    Contact Michelle Zimmer at Robert Murphy Stables. She coaches the UK Equestrian Team and they ride out at Murphy's with her. I am sure she could have some of the team members exercise your horse for you while you are injured. You may want to join the team too, so you can make some riding/horse contacts in the area. Robert Murphy's has a website.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Houndboy View Post
    I second that idea! She might know of other people in the area also that would be an option for you.

Also try the Kentucky H/J Association (www.khja.org) and Jennifer Duncan. She is amazing and works all the shows at the HP and pretty much knows everyone. She might be able to help you.
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

Tack shops in the area off the top of my head:

Wise Choice
    The Tack Rack
    Fennell's
    Pinkstons
    Central KY Tack & Leather
    KBC
    Bob Micklers

Feed stores:
    Southern States
    Brumfield
    Hallway