The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pulling Shoes

I know that at many big shows and finals, people will pull off their horse or pony's shoes for the under saddle. This is done by the vast majority of people at Pony Finals I believe. I was wondering how risky this is. Obviously the pony will move better in the hack but what is the chance that they might go lame? It seems to me that it is a pretty common practice so I wouldn't think that horse would often go lame, but i would still like to hear everyones thoughts.
    TIA

If the pony doesn't need shoes to stay sound, pulling them and riding in soft ground is all that risky, but that doesn't mean it's without cons. My personal opinion is that either the pony (or horse) should do the entire division eithier with the shoes on or off, but nobody cares about what I think

My question is (since I was 5'10" at 13 and never had a pony or gone to pony finals) how in the world would they have time to take all the shoes off of those ponies between the last jump round and the undersaddle? Do they do the undersaddle at a different time to accomodate this practice?

I will admit I have done this before (sort of). We put shoes on to keep the hooves healthy for a 24 hour trailer ride going to the show on a horse that had been barefoot for 3 years. We intended to keep the shoes on for full cycle. We put the shoes on two days before we left and when we got to the show the horse was forgeing every step! The farrier there felt it was due to the change in weight and break over. We took the shoes off the morning of the first ride and the horse was division champion.

At Pony Finals the undersaddle and model are on the day before the over fences.

You try not to take the shoes off the ones that are likely to have tender feet, because they will move worse with the shoes off and not better. For the ones that have feet that can handle it, it's only a quick hack class in a ring with good footing, and then the shoes go immediately back on. Obviously it's not something done often, just in the most important of circumstances.

I have pulled the shoes on some of my hunters - never had a problem.

do they really move that much better without shoes?
    i thought horses moved better with shoes put on to protect their feet?
    my 6yo warmblood is barefoot. he has the best feet! i would hate to put shoes on him, but if i did, would i expect him to not move as well?

Quote Originally Posted by TSWJB View Post
    my 6yo warmblood is barefoot. he has the best feet! i would hate to put shoes on him, but if i did, would i expect him to not move as well?
    When we had bought sansi he had daisy cutter movement, however he NEEDED shoes, so we put them on, and his daisy cutting went to just a loafty movement, nice, but not as nice. Pulled the shoes off when he retired and his movement came back (not as nice because of all the injuries he had, but it was still there).

Quote Originally Posted by TSWJB View Post
    Mine did NOT move as well when we put the first shoes on So I do what I can to keep her sound and happy barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Boy View Post
    Mine did NOT move as well when we put the first shoes on So I do what I can to keep her sound and happy barefoot.
    well i dont know if my horse will change his movement he never had shoes! so hopefully i can keep them off.
    it sounds like horse's move worst with shoes on!

I'd think it'd be ok to do it for the most important shows, but doing it really often for every show would probably not be the best idea.